Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 14:56   #1

Kit Cat

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4001499125.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	71206

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2974836555.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	71207

Any thoughts one the durability of one of these? I realize quality will vary because most are home built, but this one was built by the "factory" allegedly for the owner of the Kit Cat company.

Twin 4-stoke 250 Suzukis might be a little thirsty?

Looks like a lot of boat for $78000 to me...
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 04:35   #2

Re: Kit Cat

I looked at a Kit Cat a few years ago. I found the finish work to be marginal at best. I also questioned the outboards The price does seem low. I wonder if there is something wrong with the boat? Have you seen the boat or just viewed the add?
Epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 06:10   #3

An acquaintance of mine has seen the boat. He said build quality seemed OK although the interior finish out is plain, which is fine with me.

Just wondered about this nidacore construction. Supposedly they used vinylester resin and isophthalic/orthophthalic blended gelcoat, But I don't know what all that means. Lol.

I'm going to look at it as soon as out holiday company is gone!
Old 29-11-2013, 06:37   #4

I have a friend who is very knowledgeable about composite boat fabrication. I will ask him about it and get back to you.
Old 29-11-2013, 06:58   #5

My friend is familiar with Kit Cats and the builder. They build airplanes. He said the planes are good but he is not sure the fabrication methods are applicable for marine use. One concern is how the bridge deck is attached to the hulls. It sounds like a good deal but you know what they say about something being too good to be true. If you decide to buy it I suggest you have it surveyed by someone that knows catamarans. Good luck!
Old 29-11-2013, 07:21   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Nida-core is a honeycomb panel and was purchased by 3M about 3 years ago. They just announced they were shutting down production because it's not making money. It is very expensive compared to the other cores but is really light. Some people say it's not good for marine applications but all the marine outlets sell it and it is specifically marketed for this and other applications. I think it was also used in the aviation industry.
Vinylester is a step up from polyester resin and a step down from epoxy. It is stronger but more expensive and has some mixing and application issues. 99% of all boats made use mostly poly even though it's not waterproof. Many manufacturers use vinyl only below the waterline because it is more waterproof than polyester. They will then apply an epoxy barrier coat and antifouling paint for more waterproofness. They paint the topsides with a 2 part (mostly) waterproof paint.
Almost no manufacturer uses epoxy because it is so expensive. It is strongest and the most waterproof of the 3.
I think the Kitkats were sold as kits in various configurations. Usually the structure was built at the factory.
Old 29-11-2013, 12:45   #7

Anyone know of a good surveyor for this cat? It's in the Tampa/ St Pete area.

Thanks!
Old 29-11-2013, 17:11   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Nida-core is a honeycomb panel and was purchased by 3M about 3 years ago. They just announced they were shutting down production because it's not making money. It is very expensive compared to the other cores but is really light. Some people say it's not good for marine applications but all the marine outlets sell it and it is specifically marketed for this and other applications.
Nidacore is a little bit less expensive than balsa and 1/3 the price of corecell and divinycell. Endeavor, Manta, Catana and Victory are four catamaran manufacturers I know that have built boats using it.

Sad to see 3M buy the company and then put it out of business. It seems that there is still inventory left, since I am buying some currently.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25   #9

Thanks for all the help.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good surveyor (catamaran surveyor?) in the Tampa area please let me know.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:27   #10

Have you had any luck finding a surveyor for the power cat? How hard will it be to find dockage for a boat with what looks like at least a 20 foot beam?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
Have you had any luck finding a surveyor for the power cat? How hard will it be to find dockage for a boat with what looks like at least a 20 foot beam?
Surveyor named Gene Sipe is going to look at it.

I have a local dock that will work, but as I understand it dockage up and down the ICW could be slim pickings.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2013, 05:26   #12

I'm in the Upper Keys and reasonably priced marinas that can accomodate wide vessels are scarce. I have been looking for catamarans for a while and the beam has been a limiting factor. I would like to know how your surveyor turns out in case I find a boat in that Tampa area I may need a surveyor.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
I'm in the Upper Keys and reasonably priced marinas that can accomodate wide vessels are scarce. I have been looking for catamarans for a while and the beam has been a limiting factor. I would like to know how your surveyor turns out in case I find a boat in that Tampa area I may need a surveyor.
The slip I found here in south Texas is $335. I've priced some Keys marinas and I know what you mean about high.

Ok. I will message you or post up the details after the survey. Survey is set up for next Tuesday.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:26   #14

Did you complete the survey? If so how did it go?
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42   #15

Don't have the full report but talked to the surveyor on the phone-- he found some issues but nothing too major sounding.

We fly out Saturday to take a look. Are you also looking at one of these boats?