Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 17:47   #1

How Do You Get A Gipsy Off A Horizon 600 Windlass

I thought taking a gipsy off a Horizon 600 would be a piece of cake but instead it has been very difficult. I can't get the gipsy clutch cone separated from the gipsy. After spraying it with oil, banging it, and heating it up I still have not been able to get it off. The clutch is flush with the gipsy so there is no way I can grab it or pry it off the shaft. The clutch is like a hub cap on a tire but there is no way to pry it off
I have made a little progress after oiling and heating the gispy it has freed up and will turn. Does anyone know how to get the clutch out of the gipsy? I will take any suggestions at this point. I need to get the clutch out first and then the gipsy should come off the shaft. I have the manual but it does not help me. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
captblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 21:18   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: How Do You Get A Gipsy Off A Horizon 600 Windlass

I assume you're talking about the upper/outer part of the clutch. From the picture it looks as though you can lift the gypsy assembly off the shaft, and then from the bottom side use a drift to push out the top section.

If you can not get the gypsy off the shaft then you may have to soak it in a some Kroil or similar rust breaker. Then put two pry bars under the gypsy and pry it up off the shaft. The shaft and lower clutch appears to be one piece.

If the upper clutch is seized on the shaft you might try working it in and out, since you have it loosen a bit, and just keep moving it both ways and that should break it loose. If the clutches are bronze you could pour a little white vinegar & salt mix around the shaft area. That eats copper oxide.

The last resort would be to remove the #30 bolt/screw (and pull capstan) and the shaft with the gypsy and press them apart. You would have to pull the case apart to put them back together.

Link>>> SL Parts Horizon 600 900G

Old 01-04-2012, 04:23   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, captblock.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13   #4

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

I remove mine to clean and lube after every summer, so there's not much corrosion. What it takes for me is pushing the sharp edge of a putty knife very slightly in between the cone and gypsy in 3-4 places around the gypsy. Then with two putty knives I can rock it a little and pull it off. Be careful not to drop and lose the two cylindrical keys.

While you're at it, check the condition of the plastic fleming and finger (or control arm) - they need replacing from time to time. The fleming's easy, but the finger requires you to remove the starboard side of the case, and observe exactly how the spring is to be re-installed. Clean the case mating surfaces, and goop with 4200 or similar before re-installing.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:19   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Grab the whole Gypsy with a 3 legged puller. There is also a tool called a bearing splitter. The gypsy WILL bend, have some chain in it. Slow and careful, dont bugger it.
Good luck.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42   #6

Thanks for all your replies. This is work in progress that is going to take me awhile to get this gipsy off. So bear with me if I ask too many questions.

delmarrey, thanks for posting the image. I have that image in my manual. I have been soaking the gipsy and clutch cone with Kroil. It appears the clutch is seized in the gipsy but there is no where I can pry the clutch off the shaft. By the way, the clutch is No.8 in the image. I have no way to grab the clutch to pull it off.

NewMoon, I have been trying to use two putty knifes in between the clutch and the gipsy with no luck yet. I am wondering can I take the clutch cone and gipsy off the shaft at the same time and then remove the clutch from the gipsy or do I need to remove the clutch cone first to get the gipsy off.

Can I use a three legged puller to pull the gipsy off? The shaft has a indentation or notch in the center of the shaft to put the puller in it and pull the gipsy off but I would pull the clutch off with it. Also the shaft has two notches around it what looks like two driver roller pins in the notches. Can I bang on the other side of the gipsy with a hammer to try to get it off? I think I need to get the clutch off first but it is almost impossible to pry off the clutch.

I want to thank everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated. You guys are the best.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:03   #7

Thanks guys! I got the gipsy off. Now do I grease the shaft real good so I can get it off next time?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captblock View Post
Thanks guys! I got the gipsy off. Now do I grease the shaft real good so I can get it off next time?
Great! Yes, there are maintenance procedures in your manual, which should include greasing.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08   #9

Boat: Sailboat

I guess the pieces are dissimilar metals, I would use something like Tef-Gel or Lanacote to prevent it from seizing. And take it apart once in a while.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 13:11   #10

Quote:
I use a high quality marine wheel bearing grease, same as on boat trailer wheel bearings and sterndrive prop shafts. Quite water resistant, and thick enough that it does not wash out.
Old 04-04-2012, 14:05   #11

I had to order a new gipsy. Does anyone know how to take the fleming off the gipsy? The gipsy comes apart so I can put the fleming on the new gipsy.
Old 04-04-2012, 14:57   #12

Undo the hex key bolt holding it onto the case, and it will come off with the gypsy. Then simply stretch it enough to pop it off the gypsy. You can put a new one back on in the same way without damage.
Old 04-04-2012, 20:38   #13

Quote:
I had to order a new gipsy. Does anyone know how to take the fleming off the gipsy? The gipsy comes apart so I can put the fleming on the new gipsy.
Some gypsy's are two half's. Check to see if there are screws holding them together.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:43   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

How do you get a gypsy off your windlass???

Offer him a glass of wine somewhere else, that's how!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
windlass