Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2009, 20:30   #1

Grand Banks or Marlow?

GB 59 Aleutian or Marlow 57.
If you were buying, which do you like and why?
Quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 20:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quads,
Although good boats overall, I think Grand Banks are expensive for what you get. I would look outside the box and consider other trawler style boats.

Have you looked at the listings in YachtWorld? I think you might get some ideas there.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 23:03   #3

Yes, I have, extensively. And have narrowed a playing field of about 6 diff. builders down to GB and Marlow based on personal requirements, features, design, layout, functionality, safety, etc. etc. My short list ends up being somewhat of a coin toss between those to so I was hoping to get some feedback from other GB or Marlow owners.
Old 02-12-2009, 18:17   #4

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'
Frankly, I'm not sure this is the best boat forum for an answer. The GB 59 Aleutian and Marlows are bigger than most of the boats I have seen discussed here. You may want to try to locate a forum called yacht forums or look on one of the many trawler forums to find people who have experience in those boats.

I have looked through an Aleutian casually at a boat show -- it looked like a very high quality yacht. I have heard the Marlows are innovative and well-built as well, although one commentator on a yacht forum described the one he drove as quite wet.

Good luck -- you are fortunate to be able to choose between two wonderful boats.
jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03   #5

Boat: Olson 40
I went through a couple of Marlows at Ft Lauderdale show two years ago and was amazed at their price: for apparently equal quality, the price was perhaps half.

However, I would always include Fleming when considering GB and Marlow. I think they are all very good, but I think Fleming is slightly better. But for certain, all three are competing against each other vigorously and wisely.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 16:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsschieff View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure this is the best boat forum for an answer. The GB 59 Aleutian and Marlows are bigger than most of the boats I have seen discussed here.
I'm beginning to understand that about this forum. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-12-2009, 16:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
I went through a couple of Marlows at Ft Lauderdale show two years ago and was amazed at their price: for apparently equal quality, the price was perhaps half.

However, I would always include Fleming when considering GB and Marlow. I think they are all very good, but I think Fleming is slightly better. But for certain, all three are competing against each other vigorously and wisely.
Sure, you can get a Fleming to do 20 kts, and WOT and a range os 500 NM, but it won't cruise economically at 20. I've looked extensively at them, and they are an outstanding boat, and we would have bought their 65' a long time ago if it cruised at 18+ kts.
Old 03-12-2009, 17:54   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Yes but the Fleming is so much more pleasing to the eye. Must be the GB
heritage.
Old 04-12-2009, 14:20   #9

Boat: Marlow Explorer 78'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
you will find more volume in the Marlow. Larger engine room, larger master SR, more ceiling height, more speed, more stability, and proprietary twin strut keels enclosing the shafts.
78-Quality Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 14:57   #10

Boat: Marlow Explorer 78'
Flemings are beautiful well designed yachts; however the 55's do not have standup engine rooms. The marlow 53, 57, and larger all have standup room.
78-Quality Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 15:17   #11

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Look at Circe, an Alden 58, 2003. Originally list at just short of 1m., now priced at 550K+. Walzak in Annapolis
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 15:29   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
Look at Circe, an Alden 58, 2003. Originally list at just short of 1m., now priced at 550K+. Walzak in Annapolis
Nice boat.
Nowhere near what I'm looking for.
Old 29-01-2010, 19:54   #13

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Since many people who buy these boats seem to be reselling them in a few to several years I would put strong emphases on ease of resale and reseale value of particular make and model.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02   #14

Boat: Marlow 78' Savannah Ann
Aleutian or Marlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quads View Post
I do not have an opion about the Aleutian as I have never driven one.

Ii have been a captain on a Marlow Explorer 78 for 6 + years and cruised extensively. Our home port is Fort lauderdale. We have cruised the Notheast up to Marthas Vineyard, all the Bahamas,and to the Virgin Islands. This year we will cruise to New Orleans to congradulate the Super Bowl winners.
We had a 55 Fleming prior to the Marlow. The owner ordered the Marlow built in 2005. There were some normal problems upon delivery. Howeve,r Marlow took care of these problems. We have the C-30's which gives os at WOT about 28 Kts, and cruise at 21 KTS. Most of the time we cruise at 10 KTS.
Last year whlle going to the Virgin Islands we encountered a blow off the Dominican Republic. It was night and the wind was gusting to 45 Mph.We had 10 to 12 foot waves head on for about 12 hours. ( I did my weather check and it called for 4 to 6 feet, they lied again) I was thinking,
what a test for a composite hull. We came through those waves with no damage at all. I thought surely I would have to fix some leaks and tighten up some things, but it was fine.
I think the Marlow is a fine hull and well worth the money. i hope this helps you.

Royboats
royboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 15:03   #15

Boat: McKinna 47 Amor Del Mar
GB vs. Marlow

One thing to consider if you will be offshore much is the weight difference between the boats. the Marlow is much lighter than the GB.
Bob
Herewegoagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand banks, marlow