Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2009, 19:08   #1

First Time Boat Buyer - Tips?

Hello everyone-
I've been thinking of doing this for several years and finally getting serious. I live in the Northeast, looking for a power liveaboard. I am a big fan of Chris Craft boats, and I'm looking for something in the 38-42 ft range. I am a golf pro, and spend March-October in the NY area then off to Florida in the winters. I don't know a lot, and I've heard relying on brokers isn't always the safest bet. I've read a few books and just looking for any input you all have on my newest quest.

Thanks!
golfcruiser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 23:13   #2

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel
Just to protect your investment.....make sure you buy a boat that has diesel engines. Gasoline engines isnt that common in that size range of boats, but sometimes you find a boat at a great price and it is because it has gas engines. It's a much more difficult boat to sell when you do sell.
CabezonBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 13:28   #3

Boat: Grady White 283 Release 28'
Take your time, learn as much as you can, tramp through boats endlessly, and be sure to get a very thorough survey of any boat you bid on. Be aware that old boats like Chris Crafts often have endless problems, and you'll have to figure on a maintenance budget of 20%-30% of the purchase price annually for an old boat unless you are really, really handy and resourceful.

Yacht brokers can be helpful, but many are reluctant to work with an inexperienced buyer seeking a perfect boat for a bargain price. Brokers know they are usually facing endless hours of hand-holding and education to obtain a skimpy commission. However, the yacht brokerage market has been utterly moribund for the past year so you may find brokers are happy to work with you right now.

I second the previous post that you should stick to a diesel boat, and I would add the recommendation that you stick to fiberglass Chris Crafts. Old wooden Chris Crafts are difficult to resell and will cause you never-ending, expensive maintenance issues.
jsschieff is offline   Reply With Quote