Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 10:53   #121

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Sure beats needing "Capt Ron" to come along.
I'd pay to go cruising with Captain Ron!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:13   #122

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Find My Boat - $5,000 REWARD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
+1. Don't think she's just a tire kicker. Don't think she'll have a problem starting with a larger yacht either. It's all about attitude.
Given she plans to stay at the dock for a year, I don't see any problem there.
The problem comes when you go to sea, sitting in a rolling boat in bad weather for days on end, can't really get out, get seasick, etc, etc, many people just don't tolerate it. Living on a docked boat, not a problem if big enough, and these boats are big enough! Kids tend to adapt.
Not sure grandma is going to like it.

I'll say get the 'beater' 55 in Florida at low-ball price, live on it for a while, upgrade it later, get the second sailing cat, can use the cat space when renovating rooms in the trawler, and still come in under $400k. The 55 upgraded might not even be a money loser. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:17   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
In OZ, but the bigger version of the 55, with 4 cabins, $525k

Cheoy Lee 61 Long Range Cockpit MY | Andrew Moore Marine
Jack, I like this one Wish it were closer, but I like it Good job!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22   #124

[QUOTE=nimblemotors;1337192]

No worries with Grandma here! I am keeping my place on the dirt, but will
be a frequent visitor, and will be on board whenever underway!

I have been on boats my whole life and lived aboard down
the VI's for about a year in 2007 and love living on water,
if I survived on a 26' pearson ariel I think I can work it out on
a 50-60' yacht, no sweat!

Our Blog
The warrior ship plows the waves, yet no hand grasps the tiller, none draws an oar. Oh mariner, surrender to the mystery. All else follows.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:49   #125

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

[QUOTE=meme;1337776]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post

No worries with Grandma here! I am keeping my place on the dirt, but will
be a frequent visitor, and will be on board whenever underway!

I have been on boats my whole life and lived aboard down
the VI's for about a year in 2007 and love living on water,
if I survived on a 26' pearson ariel I think I can work it out on
a 50-60' yacht, no sweat!

Maybe you and/or your daughter can go see this Choy Lee. This boat really rings my bell. Not many boats do that. Denison Yacht Sales - Yacht Brokers in Florida and California | Denison Yacht Sales

It has the rounded stern, 4 statrooms, has the range and close by. Enclosing the command bridge would not be that difficult/expensive. At least a solid top and might be able to use the canvas SS supports.

I tell people if they go on enoguh boats when they walk on to THE BOAT they will know. Its sort of like love at first sight. I fell in love with my wife seconds after she walk to the door. OK, lusted. My wife knew the Eagle was her boat with in 30 seconds.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:38   #126
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

For 500k you can have a custom yacht built.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:04   #127

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post

Maybe you and/or your daughter can go see this Choy Lee. This boat really rings my bell. Not many boats do that. Denison Yacht Sales - Yacht Brokers in Florida and California | Denison Yacht Sales

It has the rounded stern, 4 statrooms, has the range and close by. Enclosing the command bridge would not be that difficult/expensive. At least a solid top and might be able to use the canvas SS supports.

I tell people if they go on enoguh boats when they walk on to THE BOAT they will know. Its sort of like love at first sight. I fell in love with my wife seconds after she walk to the door. OK, lusted. My wife knew the Eagle was her boat with in 30 seconds.

Nice find! Is this a new listing?

I agree, after going through the pics, I'd be on this boat looking at it tomorrow!

Condition looks pretty good, from pics of carpet in circular staircase and from pics of engine room. Not spotless, some rust in the drain pan in pic 98 (not a-typical, certainly not a significant show-stopper), but it looks generally very well kept.

I'm not yet able to puzzle out the plumbing in pic 90?

The clear enclosures appear to be sheet vinyl, i.e., roll-up... and one thing I'd do is gradually -- eventually, when it's time -- change most of that to hard vinyl like EZ2CY or Makralon... so the individual "smiley" windows don't roll up but rather pin up to the hard top. Better view when closed, not as hard on the clears when pined versus rolling.

So if the only thing I can see that I'd want changed is something trivial like the enclosure panels... I think that says a lot!

Depending on personal viewing and consideration -- some imagining -- and depending on marine and mechanical surveys, of course.

Good find!

-Chris
Old 12-09-2013, 09:04   #128

Boat: too many

[QUOTE=rw58ph;1337892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post

GG has done a lot of research, and even though this boat has done a good job keeping the weight down and has good lines and nice interior, it is powered by DD 2 stroke diesels that haven't been made in decades. These are not clean or fuel efficient, and also they are direct drive in this boat so needless to say they won't be swinging a big prop pitched high for lower rpm and less slip. For a boat set up with 2 stroke diesels and direct drive, the asking price IMHO is way high.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:07   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
For 500k you can have a custom yacht built.

Four staterooms, so somewhere between 50-70' long? Can't even buy a new decent brand 50' three stateroom production sportfisher for twice that...

-Chris
Old 12-09-2013, 09:15   #130

[QUOTE=deckofficer;1337961]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post

GG has done a lot of research, and even though this boat has done a good job keeping the weight down and has good lines and nice interior, it is powered by DD 2 stroke diesels that haven't been made in decades. These are not clean or fuel efficient, and also they are direct drive in this boat so needless to say they won't be swinging a big prop pitched high for lower rpm and less slip. For a boat set up with 2 stroke diesels and direct drive, the asking price IMHO is way high.

Mostly the boatdiesel.com guys will likely say parts will only be available for the next century or so...

Granted, not the most modern fuel-efficient power plants out there now.. but in the grand scheme of things, many 65'-ish trawler-style boats in the specified price range are also gonna have old-ish engines.

I'd guess if this were to turn into a "lifetime" boat, those diesels could be replaced with anything 4-stroke and that'd be a technical improvement... but probably not worth the cost unless some sort of catastrophic failure suggests repowering. In the meantime, a GPH comparison against any other 66-footer monohull trawler with twin 4-strokes of sufficient size... probably won't represent much of a dent in the wallet until a long time -- underway -- passes...

Pending seeing the burn rate curve and actually doing the math, of course.

If it turns out the asking price is a bit high... maybe so much the better... given final price could conceivably be lower than what's listed.

-Chris
Old 12-09-2013, 09:33   #131

Chris,

I know they made many 2 strokes and parts shouldn't be a problem. I have used Cat, Cummings, and Detroit Diesel in over highway class 8 trucks from that era. The DD was the least expensive to spec for a new truck, the Cummings 855 cid inline 6 was mid priced, and the Cats were the most expensive on initial purchase. In operation the Cats were the cheapest to run, going twice the miles between overhauls and better mpg. On a 2 stroke Detroit, a positive displacement blower is used because the compression stroke takes the place of an exhaust stroke and for this to work you have to scavenge the cylinder with positive air pressure to push out the burned exhaust gasses at the bottom of the stroke. Boat builders used these 2 stroke engines for the same reason I did, initial cost.

But this engine isn't the only issue on this boat, the other is direct drive. A good long range cruiser will always spin the largest diameter prop that will fit, with as high a pitch as a geared down engine will swing it. With no reduction gear, the pitch will not be high, and this rpm increase will result in more slip. The container ships I served on were direct drive but that was because our engines only turned at max speed 118 rpm.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:10   #132

Yep, got all that, Bob... and I agree, not perfect. My only point was that, given choices are slightly limited in the secondary market in this price range, sometimes you get what you can get. IOW, it becomes a matter of "degree of imperfection" (?) and how much that degree matters to the shopper.

And even though I meant to emphasize the boat is worth a close look, I dunno that it's a passage maker -- yet. I don't see any mention of (or pics of) stabilizers of any sort. Still, if one wanted a PLAN B BOAT -- if this one doesn't turn out to meet all the requirements -- it looks to me like a very good candidate for that role, too.

BTW, my comment about the rust... is apparently actually pic #97, even though my browser displays both 98 and 97 for the same pic. (Ditto numbering issues for pic 89 or maybe it's 90.) Anyway, it's the pan under the Norco genset. I suspect easily enough cleaned up, and probably easy enough to find and fix the cause.

I wonder if the boat is really in NC. I see the hailing port is Wilmington, DE... so if the boat is in one of the Wilmingtons, I wonder if somebody burned a synapse and plugged in NC in error.

-Chris
Old 12-09-2013, 10:35   #133

Chris,

I think this is why GG was upset missing out on the '96 Dixon boat. She knew from her research/learning that boat had money spent on systems, not bling. Even though I have been pushing powercats, I had to admit the Dixon boat was a real find.

I hope for her that boat returns to the market sometime after her funds from selling her home are in place. There has been many sells that fall through when the buyer is unable to get financing.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:52   #134

Yep, agree, the Dixon was a very good candidate.

-Chris
Old 13-09-2013, 15:07   #135

I'm sure I posted this before.

1993 Awesome Powerboats Power Cat Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and this, trans-ocean capability getting better than 2.5 nmpg, berths for 12.
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996...r#.UjOPasa-1Bk

Tags
paracelle