Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2018, 14:52   #1

Entry level Cruiser Advice

Hi All, first post here.
We're a semi-retired couple with a small dog beginning to look for our first boat to use around Florida/Keys/Bimini area.

Right now we're guessing use will be about 80% pleasure, 20% fishing. Mostly planning on day trips and overnights with the wife and pup, but would need enough room to occasionally take my family of 4 adults and 3 teens out for a day of tubing and snorkeling.

Compromise budget is around 50k. I could probably talk the wife into 70k for the right boat, but I know she's hoping I find something closer to 30k.

I'm still like an empty sponge on boating, but so far my wish list is starting to look something like a 28' cruiser/hybrid-type with a head, berth for two adults (6'1"), generator and A/C, and in a perfect world, trailer-able by an F-250 with dual outboards.

So what are the group's thoughts?
Do any particular brands/models come to mind that might fit the bill, or maybe there's even something outside the box that I haven't considered yet?
Any suggestions or advice I can soak up is greatly appreciated.
JMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 15:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Entry level Cruiser Advice

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

Good intro post.

I am sure other CF Members with years of power boat experience will offer suggestions.

My only suggestion now is: enjoy your time on the forum and the water.

Good luck on your boat hunt.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 10:53   #3

Maybe you should join a boat share club or look into rentals in order to sample the different types of boats available.
The selection is baffling, and they all claim to be the best!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 11:01   #4

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMacLeod View Post
Hi All, first post here.
We're a semi-retired couple with a small dog beginning to look for our first boat to use around Florida/Keys/Bimini area.

Right now we're guessing use will be about 80% pleasure, 20% fishing. Mostly planning on day trips and overnights with the wife and pup, but would need enough room to occasionally take my family of 4 adults and 3 teens out for a day of tubing and snorkeling.

Compromise budget is around 50k. I could probably talk the wife into 70k for the right boat, but I know she's hoping I find something closer to 30k.

I'm still like an empty sponge on boating, but so far my wish list is starting to look something like a 28' cruiser/hybrid-type with a head, berth for two adults (6'1"), generator and A/C, and in a perfect world, trailer-able by an F-250 with dual outboards.

So what are the group's thoughts?
Do any particular brands/models come to mind that might fit the bill, or maybe there's even something outside the box that I haven't considered yet?
Any suggestions or advice I can soak up is greatly appreciated.
I may have a boat for you about half of your budget, PM me for details.
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 15:08   #5

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Check this one out, just listed it for sale! Seems to meet your criteria!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...da-203464.html
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:15   #6

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft

You might be able to get an old (like 20 years old) Boston Whaler Conquest 285/280 or Pursuit 3000, but for that size boat minimum cost for a quality boat is usually around $75,000.

Other than that the only thing I can think of is a an old Donzi cuddy cabin.

Stay away from lower quality makes like Grady White, Chriscraft, Sea Rays or anything like that.

Forget a generator on a boat that small. Normally the cabin is used only when you are docked anyway and have access to shore power. The odds of AC working on a 20-year-old boat are pretty small, but anything is possible with enough money.

You are probably seriously underestimating the costs of owning a boat like that. Plan on spending $7,500 a year minimum. If an engine has to be replaced (a high probability on an old boat with a gas engine) that is at least $15,000. Just to give you a sense for it, when I commissioned my 30-foot boat this spring the yard charged me $3,000 and that is just commissioning, simply routine stuff to get the boat in the water.
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JMcL.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 21:20   #8

Boat: youngquist viking 34

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want. It sounds like a good place to start. Don't make my favorite mistake and buy a cheap boat. If you have time, skills and a place to work on it, that can be an option but you will spend more time and money working on the boat than using it. Get a professional survey. Research the best surveyor in your area. A little extra spent now will make a big differences in your enjoyment of the boat.
Good luck
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 12:33   #9

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

IMHO, you may not find a boat that fits your your budgeted price and comfort. Our friends have Rosborough Trawler and really like it. They keep it on a trailer. It's a tight squeeze for more than two people though.
Old 13-07-2018, 18:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There are bargain boats out there. One for every price range. Not everything has to be new. The hull and engines need to be good. Getting 4 adults, 3 teens and a dog on a trailer-able boat would be a miracle.
Owning a boat doesn't have to be expensive unless you have boatyards do all your maintenance. My 83' wood boat doesn't average $7500/yr in maintenance. And I rebuilt my 2 Detroit 671s myself for about $5000 in parts and head work.
Some people want you to think you need a new or almost new boat that somehow costs thousands a year in maintenance or you can't afford boating. My first big boat, as a teen, was a war surplus, 65' Chris-Craft. I had a great time with that boat. Sure I had to do some repairs, painting and cleaning, but that was a fun machine. And marine diesel was about 15¢ a gallon. I went diving, tuna fishing, I had a blast! The boat (1940) is owned by the Sea Scouts now. Still passing CG inspections and giving kids fun.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser