Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 09:01   #1

Deep Draft- Bahamas?

Hello gals and guys,

Anyone know the what's up with draft in the Bahamas. If your boat has a deep draft are there any places to get in and stay put, or can you not get in at all?
Old 30-07-2013, 09:30   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Deep draft- Bahamas?

The super/mega/ultra yacht Cakewalk spends a few months there each year normally anchored and cruising the Exumas.

Its 85m long, thats 286 feet, beam 13.20m (43.31 ft) and a 3.8m (12.47ft) draft.

If they can fit so can you... but to be n the safe side buy a boat garanteed to fit the bahamas. The rich bugger who owns it wants out... so you can pick Cakewalk up for $214 MILLION

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 09:46   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Typical cruising boats (4'-7') should have no problem wtih nearly all routes and anchorages. Less draft will allow you to take some shortcuts and tuck into a few extra places...most useful in more remote areas when the fronts come through. Have fun!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 09:47   #4

well... tells us what you consider deep. I did them in 6'-6" and bumped a few times, didnt go a few places, but all in all it was fine. I would have rather had 5 feet or less though!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:42   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

We have been around Abaco, the Berry Islands and Bimini a few times. I would say most of these areas have routes that would allow for 6-8ft ft draft. A few of the "inner" routes can be shallow and it helps to be under 5ft but you can often squeak by on a rising tide.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 12:09   #6

The boat has an 8' draft.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 30-07-2013, 12:19   #7

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

8 ft is to much for some places in the Bahamas, with great care can be ok, i do the whole area few times with a 6,6 draft to, if you dont mind sail in the banks with the sounder reading 8 to 9 in some places will be ok,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 13:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The super/mega/ultra yacht Cakewalk spends a few months there each year normally anchored and cruising the Exumas.

Its 85m long, thats 286 feet, beam 13.20m (43.31 ft) and a 3.8m (12.47ft) draft.

If they can fit so can you... but to be n the safe side buy a boat garanteed to fit the bahamas. The rich bugger who owns it wants out... so you can pick Cakewalk up for $214 MILLION
I can't picture trying to tote a 12.5 foot draft around anywhere in the Bahamas but Nassau. How do they get to the Exumas? I can't picture which pass they could make it through. Is there even any place on the banks they could make it across?
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 06:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Is there even any place on the banks they could make it across?
They probably don't cross the banks. They probably go out and around.

And that's the point. Yes, you can get around with almost any sort of draft. But you are going to be limited in the routes that you can take, and there will be some places that you cannot get into. You will have to pay close attention and choose your routes, marinas, and anchorages as much based on your draft as on any other criteria.

For the Bahamas I would say the shallower the draft the better, at least within reason. With an 8' draft the OP is going to be limited. There are a number of marinas that you won't be able to get into, or will have to wait for high tide to get in and out. There are a number of anchorages that will be likewise. You will have to pay close attention to the routes that you take, and to the tides.

A boat with a 5' draft would be much less limited, and would have much less to worry about. Nonetheless, it is certainly possible for you to get around in the Bahamas with an 8' draft. Have fun!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 06:15   #10

Thanks everyone for the great information.
Old 31-07-2013, 08:49   #11

I would be careful where you go with the 8 ft of draft for sure. Some places will be fine, other's... dicey . 6-6 was a nailbiter some places. We hit bottom going into Bimini. I think it's been dredged since then though. If going down the Exuma chain, you'll need to exit into the ocean early if going down to Georgetown.... long before Rudder cut etc... gets shallow down there.

Old 31-07-2013, 11:01   #12

An 8ft draft will probably cause you problems in the ICW. There are many places you will not be able to pass except perhaps at high tide. Waiting for high tide on the ICW will be a real pain with regard to schedules. Going outside is faster but you will be committed to overnight passages. The other area that 8ft will be a real problem is in the Florida Keys where anything over 4.5ft is an issue.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 11:08   #13

I may have missed the ICW comment.. but yeah... definitely go outside. I plowed much of the ICW with 6-6 draft. Ran aground hard twice. Hit hard things a couple times also....

Old 31-07-2013, 11:16   #14

EarthNC/Wavey Line Bahamas Charts
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 11:27   #15

Boat: Seaward 22

Also be limiting on the west coast of Florida. I would not take the ICW with an 8' draft.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, draft, bahamas