Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 07:40   #1

cruising the homosassa and/or crystal rivers

I have a 50ft power boat with a 4 ft draft and live in st petersburg fl. My brother lives in Pensacola fl and has an RV. we have an idea/dream of finding an RV campground and marina combination facility so that we can overnight somewhere together with our families ... he on his RV and me on my boat. I was thinking about finding a marina/campground facility on either the homosasa or crystal rivers but it doesn't seem realistic to take a boat as large as mine through the river and finding a marina to dock overnight.

If anyone has cruised these rivers before i would greatly appreciate any advise/recommendations of where to stay. I'm not married to the idea of these two rivers, its more of a starting place for further research.

Thanks,
jtrosclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 11:03   #2

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: cruising the homosassa and/or crystal rivers

If you can drop the marina requirement, there are plenty of RV sites and state parks near the water and you can anchor out nearby. You can ferry family in your dinghy to the RV dock and for a get away/pumpout/etc stay at a nearby marina every now and then.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 11:20   #3

That's a great tip. I might just do that as I can go about a week without visiting a marina. Thanks for the reply.
Old 26-11-2015, 16:59   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Some marinas, dont know on these rivers, allow RV parking on their properties.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 17:30   #5

I would forget about the homosassa river. It's very tight and crowded for a boat of that size. However Crystal River will fit your boat easily, but the only campground will only hold up to a 25' boat. But you can either park at twin rivers or Pete's pier (both hold boats of your size) or park in the bay. Then you can dinghy to the camp ground. Twin rivers is closer to the campground but it's a smaller marina so not sure if many spots are available. Hope this helps.
Jrodrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 17:42   #6

This was exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Thank you for responding. I'll make some calls to the marinas you mentioned on Monday.
Old 26-11-2015, 18:11   #7

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

...watch out for the water moc's along the water's edge at night/evening along those rivers...
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 07:53   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

No problems with either river in your boat. There is a 5 foot bar at the last set of channel markers going into Crystal River and astronomic tides and strong north or easterly winds for a couple of days will lower the water levels. Except for the 5 foot bar in Crystal River, there is plenty of depth. Pete's Pier and Twin Rivers are the only two marinas on Crystal River. Pete's is pretty run down and Twin Rivers may or may not have space for you. The campgrounds and "resorts" on the Homosassa have docks but mainly for small fishing boats. You will need to call each one you are considering to see if they can accommodate boats your size. Sometimes they can and sometimes they can't. Some restaurants have long face docks that you might be able to stay for a day or two. Anchoring out off one of the campgrounds will probably be your best bet. Just stay out of any channels or the center of the river. Lots of small boat traffic. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 09:53   #9

thats all good information and making me lean toward spending a week in Crystal River this winter ... probably sometime in February.

Thanks again for all your help ... if anyone else has anything to add I'm all ears (eyes).
Old 27-11-2015, 10:37   #10

Boat: Scout 30

You can try this: Homosassa lodging, hotel accommodations, riverside views
You can get a slip here but I think your brother would probably have to get a room. It's a neat spot. We haven't stayed there but have eaten at the restaurant many times.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:44   #11

Boat: Scout 30

I found this online.

Camp N Water Campground
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:01   #12

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I spend a lot of time kayaking that area. Saying Pete's Pier is run down is better than my adjative of 'crappy' with derilict sailboats anchored in Kings Bay. Pete's Pier does have big boats. Read the tide charts as 1' or 2' of extra water coming and going will make it safer as I believe many of the derilict sailboats are sitting on the bottom.

Staying in a campground near water will bring hungry no-see-ums out an hour or two before dusk. I like to kayak in the middle of the day. This time of year you will not see many gators or snakes.

Things to do:

1. Kayak to 3 Sisters Spring not far from Pete's Pier. It is Manatee season.

2. See the Homosassa Wildlife State Park.

3. I think you can take your boat up the Withlachoochee River to the RainBow River. To me the Rainbow River is the best kayaking I have done. Maybe leave the boat at Pete's Pier and drive to Rainbow River State Park rent kayaks and paddle down to KP Hole and back. The top of the Rainbow River is better than the bottom of this 6 mile river. You can swim in cool clear 6.5' deep spring feed swim area.

4. 30 miles from Crystal River is Weeki Wachi Mermaid Show and a good smaller faster kayak trip down the Weeki Wachi River. 2nd best kayak trip in the area.

For the RV see if Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park has a spot. It is the best RV Park in the area.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 14:36   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Withlacoochee River is only navigable to the highway 19 bridge. Rock Crusher RV park is a very, very long way from any of the rivers. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 15:38   #14

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Rock Crusher Canyon is inland no more than 8 miles from Pete's Pier. 25 miles to Rainbow River. About 9 miles from the Homosassa River and 30 miles from Weeki Wachi River.

I am not sure of river passage up the Withlachoochee River. I know sailboat with a high mast go at least 5 miles up the river.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 15:44   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Drove through this area last winter. If you want to experience ''Old Florida'', this is the place to go. Something out of the story ''The Yearling''. I loved it, saw old shrimp boat derelicts on the rivers, your draft is good. Recommended .
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising