Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 16:15   #841

Re: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airshac View Post
Oh I totally agree, it seems like the smartest choice after learning more about them.
Not me...I still want a trawler
Old 24-08-2013, 16:31   #842

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
take pictures...
Tons
Old 24-08-2013, 17:29   #843

I'm getting excited for GG and her crew... The kids must be really excited... I can't even imagine what this would be like to a youngster.

When we were taking our dink out to Shiva today we passed a young mother and her daughter in a kayak... The child could not have been more the 3 or 4 max...maybe even 2 1/2... just the two of them enjoying the harbor... How cool was that mommy and I thought of GG and the excitement she is bringing to her children. Lucky them!

I hope I get to see them all on the water... Perhaps in Newport... this Sept... Awaiting the next developments....
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 17:49   #844

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Coddle?? Gee Ive found that a little coddleing helps in my relations with Ladys !! But what do I know Ive only had my First mate 40 + yrs Im probley way behind !! but I don't think this lady needs any coddleing, she's been proven not to be a troll ! so what do you think? have we who have been trying to help her in her search for a boat been coddleing?? I know we have steered her from motor yachts, to trawlers, and steered her to Long Range vessels, and this has happend thru this foram!! I sorta though we had helped a little, but never thought of it as coddleing!! This ladys way to strong to accept anything like that !! Not everyone can run out and buy a boat without doing some homework !! at least I can't and Ive owned over 20 boats so far !!!
Old 24-08-2013, 18:41   #845

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Coddle?? Gee Ive found that a little coddleing helps in my relations with Ladys !! But what do I know Ive only had my First mate 40 + yrs Im probley way behind !! but I don't think this lady needs any coddleing, she's been proven not to be a troll ! so what do you think? have we who have been trying to help her in her search for a boat been coddleing?? I know we have steered her from motor yachts, to trawlers, and steered her to Long Range vessels, and this has happend thru this foram!! I sorta though we had helped a little, but never thought of it as coddleing!! This ladys way to strong to accept anything like that !! Not everyone can run out and buy a boat without doing some homework !! at least I can't and Ive owned over 20 boats so far !!!

Our Blog
The warrior ship plows the waves, yet no hand grasps the tiller, none draws an oar. Oh mariner, surrender to the mystery. All else follows.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 10:24   #846

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
I'm getting excited for GG and her crew... The kids must be really excited... I can't even imagine what this would be like to a youngster.

When we were taking our dink out to Shiva today we passed a young mother and her daughter in a kayak... The child could not have been more the 3 or 4 max...maybe even 2 1/2... just the two of them enjoying the harbor... How cool was that mommy and I thought of GG and the excitement she is bringing to her children. Lucky them!

I hope I get to see them all on the water... Perhaps in Newport... this Sept... Awaiting the next developments....
Thanks Jef. My kids are excited and I am excited too!!!
Old 27-08-2013, 15:45   #847

We are on a flight tomorrow to see the boat that I want. Hoping not to be disappointed when I get there.

Wanted to take a minute before I leave to thank everyone who has stuck with me for months of questions, teaching, and vigorous discussion. My Mom and I really learned a LOT and we appreciate the time and thought that all of you have given to us.

Capt. Phil, I have written down every one of your questions. Thanks for pointing those out to me. Hopefully I will have lots of answers tomorrow.

We are very excited!
Old 27-08-2013, 15:57   #848

Boat: too many

Good luck, keep us posted.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 16:26   #849

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good luck with your search and upcoming inspection, GG... don't let anyone rush you. Even if this isn't the one you fall in love with, you'll be adding a lot to your already vast amount of knowledge you've picked up on CF. We all wish you well! An exciting time because many of remember how we felt when we were looking at our first 'big' boat... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 22:06   #850

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Good luck, GG! ...with safe travel, some more steps up the learning curve, and getting closer to life afloat.

One thing I see on forums like this is a wide array of tolerance for the risk that comes with relative inexperience. If you have become educated enough to reach the point of "knowing what you don't know", then you've come along far enough to understand the risks you incur by taking on a large new endeavor. Some people have the resources, patience, judgment, adaptability, flexibility, endurance, and transferable skills to compensate for inexperience, and make lemonade out of lemons and succeed where others would quit. Other people are much more conservative in the risk, challenge, or incremental change they would accept for themselves or recommend for others. I think that even the harsher critics, in their own minds, mean well to you.

Yes, I would prefer for you to have crewed, chartered, and gotten experience on OPB -- other people's boats -- and think it would have reduced your risk of future dis-satisfaction, increased the chance of getting a boat you'd love, made you a more savvy negotiator, clarified your options and choices in ways no on-line discussion or book learning could do, and reduced the chance of the occasional boo-boo or worse. I am still nervous on your behalf at some of the questions you ask, even if they are good, smart questions, in that they show you are still some ways from the reality of life at sea.

But, what works for me or some other people might not be necessary for you, and it's your money, your family, your risk tolerance, your learning style, and your dream. Not ours. YSMMV -- Your sea miles may vary, to modify the saying.

PS -- The risks that people don't often evaluate are the risks of non-action -- of not attempting to follow one's dreams, or as Langston Hughes wrote, "What happens to a dream deferred?"
Old 28-08-2013, 08:23   #851

Very insightful remarks, rgscpat... we are all different, process information differently and absorb data differently. Your statement about the risks of non-action is one rarely considered IMO, and one that we should pay more attention to.
I recall making a decision over 30 years ago that had a tremendous impact on the rest of my life. The advice I received at the time was opposite to what I decided to do. I told mself if I didn't give it a try, I would forever wonder how my life would have turned out. It was a great lesson in following your instincts... Phil
Old 28-08-2013, 13:44   #852

Boat: CL52

I, too, wish her the best of luck. I have been following GG for a while now. Its exciting to follow someone who has the means to actually purchase a vessel that I could only dream of owning and cruising with my family.
I just hope she doesn't find her kids/mom puking over the rail on the first cruise with her newly purchased vessel.
GG, please post pics of the vessels you are looking at. Oh, and +1 for the cat.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 15:04   #853

Capt Bligh, I'm afraid that being new boat owners there will be at least a couple lose it over the side (hopefully) but it is all part of learning to love the sea. I recall starting out at age 14, lying about my age to get on as a cook/deckhand and spent my first night at sea huddled in the bow on a towboat under a tarp, freezing cold throwing my insides up for about 10 hours! At first I was afraid I was going to die then I was afraid I wouldn't!
Never been sick since, though! I'm sure GG and family will handle it well. Phil
Old 28-08-2013, 15:20   #854

GG will not do anything imprudent. Assuming she's getting some sound advice up close and personal in addition to the CF advice... She should be just fine. She's getting a big boat and she's not going to just grab the keys, get the kids on board and go for some joy rides. She'll have professional advice / help because she's mother and this a project for her family and she will not do anything risky... or bite of more than she can chew. I am sure Mr Millionaire who buys a 100 yacht hasn't much of a clue about boats and that does not prevent him from buying and enjoying it. GG intends to learn how to be a captain, run her ship, care for and so forth. She will in time because that's what she wants... and has the time and the smarts (I think) to make that come to pass. Nobody is self taught really... we are all learning from teachers and books and so forth... and the school of hard knocks. And so GG will. I and many others and 5 kids will be disappointed if she doesn't. Go GG Go!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 15:39   #855

Well said, defjef... cheers, Phil

Tags
paracelle