Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 06:50   #256

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

We'll see when there is a link!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:13   #257

My question is whether "Galaxygirl"is a real person??? Is this just another hoax?? Does she spend the rest of her time posting on Craig's List?? This thread has gone totally off the rails, as is the original poster IMO!!
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:59   #258
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
My question is whether "Galaxygirl"is a real person??? Is this just another hoax?? Does she spend the rest of her time posting on Craig's List?? This thread has gone totally off the rails, as is the original poster IMO!!
Does any of this really matter? This is the internet BTW...
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:09   #259

Boat: too many

I think she is real and will get her boat. I would like to see her kids working the dock lines on a 20,000 lb boat rather than a 120,000 lb boat though.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14   #260

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I dont beleive the stated fuel burn can be near correct, maybe 4 gph per engine? It seems this large boat is more fuel thrifty than a marine trader 40? Correct me if I'm wrong but a lehman 120 in a MT uses 2.2 gph at just under 5 kts, 5.3 at 8ish and creeps to 7.3 gph at full throttle, roughly a bit over 10 kts. and this is per engine. Now in dead calm these will be slightly lower. I recently met a fellow who did a delivery in less then ideal conditions, bash through large waves and wind, to maintain a decent speed and steerage he ran it pretty hard and used around 6 gph per engine. Theres no way GGs crew could live in 40' MT, so I'm guessing her new boat will be much large. How then can it use so little fuel? Does 4 gph seem low to anyone else for a boat this size?
No I don't think that fuel consumption figure is correct, either. For a trawler big enough to have 4 staterooms I would expect a fairly thrifty boat to consume 4 to 5 times that amount, at least. Obviously there has been some miscommunication at some point in the chain. But let's see the boat first. I am also wondering about the 2 month delivery trip. A trawler passage from the Med shouldn't take more than half that. Again, let's see the boat and where it is located. When GG stops being so coy about it we can crunch some numbers and do a preliminary rough voyage plan. The boat could be in Indonesia as far as we know.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:20   #261

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I think she is real and will get her boat. I would like to see her kids working the dock lines on a 20,000 lb boat rather than a 120,000 lb boat though.
Nice statement. The force and momentum of that 120,000lb boat does not forgive. A small mistake (like fending off wrong) can lead to serious injury. I had enough injuries learning on a 20,000 boat when I was a kid.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:34   #262

Growly,

Just for grins and giggles, lets assume it is a China built trawler and resides in China. If it doesn't have the range for a trans Pacific crossing it could motor to Japan and do a great circle through the Aleutian Islands picking up more fuel enroute to the PNW. I used to sail on a SeaLand container ship out of the Port of Tacoma, and from there a great circle track took us through the islands twice.

The other option would have it shipped over. Many choices for that if it was under 50,000 lbs, but at 120,000 lbs would limit it to vessels that we used to get drilling rigs to the site, able to submerge and come under, then de-ballast and raise with the ship on the deck. Costly for sure, but so would it be sailing on her own keel.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:47   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Nice statement. The force and momentum of that 120,000lb boat does not forgive. A small mistake (like fending off wrong) can lead to serious injury. I had enough injuries learning on a 20,000 boat when I was a kid.
I'm a real wuss, as I once got a rope burn from a Corsair 31 during launch from the trailer at 1/4 of the weight of your 20,000 lb boat. At the Academy our twin diesel launch was in the 20,000 lb range but since it was twin screw it made the line handler's job easier, but our tug was much heavier and a single. In the currents that plagued our docks, it was spring line time and I cringe at the thought of pre-teen kids doing that work on deck on such a heavy vessel. I wish I could convince her that a 15,000 lb PDQ 34 would be an ideal boat for her and the kids.

BTW GG, here is the bare minimum you should know for a vessel as small as the PDQ 34 http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/...ations/420.PDF

For the size vessel your interested in, your insurance company will have their requirements.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:16   #264

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Yes, I know Bob. I have made that run myself a few times on the same ships, rebranded Horizon. And I worked on a semisubmersible heavylift for a while... the world's biggest at the time, I think, the American Cormorant. In fact I was in the line boat when we loaded 4 LCMs, 4 LCUs, 4 tugs, a derrick barge and a gas barge off Portsmouth and I got some pretty cool pics from that operation. Anyway, I imagine it would cost a bundle to ship a 60 ton displacement trawler that way, but maybe cheaper than delivery under her own power. There are regular heavylift ships that could load and discharge her... PGM has a couple. They are small ships but can do 200 ton lifts. Plenty of other ships under other flags that could do it. I was 7 years on a Ro/Ro that could take 150 tons up the stern ramp and had liftable decks that could accomodate a boat that size. Lots of shipping options, to be sure.

Not saying it can't be done. Of course it can. I was agreeing with another poster that the fuel consumption sounded off, and the 2 month delivery trip had me scratching my head, too. Kinda wondering where the boat is. Obviously not Western Europe.

China? Certainly a place to build trawlers cheap, but they are pretty cutrate on materials and methods there. Personally I would be hesitant to buy a Chinese built anything, though I do have a Chinese sextant that I think well of. I hope she isn't buying a Chinese boat though. I shudder at the thought.

GG: Tell us! We can't help you at all without even a clue!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26   #265
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Engine room is also insulated. I was VERY pleased with this info, which of course, I will verify with the surveyor. The insulation was a nice surprise, as our winters in New England can get pretty ugly.
Engine rooms are usually insulated for noise, not to retain heat.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:29   #266
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
Really? Don't most people who earn a living investing in real estate live on boats?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:30   #267

There are a lot of good chinese boats around, and the ones built today as opposed to the 80's are really good. Trawlers form Taiwan are everywhere. Most of the US boats are light built penny pinching on materials (hunter, catalina, bayliner, sea ray, etc etc) The chinese, even in the 80's, were building hulls 1.5" thick and more. Yeah they had their issues back then on the learning curve. But the average Taiwan built hull and cabinetry even in the 80's is far beyond what the us manufacturers were building.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:32   #268

Growley,

I think it is commendable that GG wants her kids to have their own staterooms, but that sure bumps up the size of the vessel. On the PDQ 34 she could have her stateroom, 2 kids could share the other stateroom, 2 more kids could sleep on the dinette which converts to a double, and the last kid could sleep on the settee that is on the port side opposite the helm station. Everyone has a comfy place to sleep out of the weather, and when conditions are nice could enjoy the stars up on the flybridge. It would get close to 4X the nm/per gallon at 18 kt and 12X at 8 kt. I don't know about her, but I would hate to drop $8000 on a single fill up.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:36   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There are a lot of good chinese boats around, and the ones built today as opposed to the 80's are really good. Trawlers form Taiwan are everywhere. Most of the US boats are light built penny pinching on materials (hunter, catalina, bayliner, sea ray, etc etc) The chinese, even in the 80's, were building hulls 1.5" thick and more. Yeah they had their issues back then on the learning curve. But the average Taiwan built hull and cabinetry even in the 80's is far beyond what the us manufacturers were building.
Diesel Duck comes to mind. Not a bad boat at all and a competitive price.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02   #270

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Guys (and gals). GG thinks I'm an ass but what do I care.

Think about this. A 50 tons motor vessel. A 2 month sea journey ( well 8 knots x 24 hours equals 200 nm per day x 60 days equals 12000 nm) circumference of earth is? ( figure this out and get back to me).

And she's going to learn how to sail this baby on that voyage.

Seriously, unless you run into major storm (big time storm) blue water on a boat that size is a breeze. The hard part is manuvering in tight places, docking, etc etc etc.

She is going to learn how to do this on a couple of day sails around the harbour?

Earth calling earth calling!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle