Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2009, 14:51   #1

Boat: Nomoboat -- yay Gustav ;)
Send a message via AIM to drew.ward
Colonial or Greenwich Yachts?

I am looking at a Greenwich yacht built in the mid 60's for the company's president. Greenwich was supposedly an offshoot of Colonial Yachts but honestly I haven't been able to find much on either of them.

Combining Greenwich and yacht or colonial and yacht really gives google fits and after going through many many pages of any sort of combination I could on the search engine really haven't come up with much.

Does anyone know anything about them?

drew.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 16:07   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew.ward View Post
I am looking at a Greenwich yacht built in the mid 60's for the company's president. Greenwich was supposedly an offshoot of Colonial Yachts but honestly I haven't been able to find much on either of them.

Combining Greenwich and yacht or colonial and yacht really gives google fits and after going through many many pages of any sort of combination I could on the search engine really haven't come up with much.

Does anyone know anything about them?
Yep, I didn't come up with anything except two ads for, I presume, the boat you are looking at, a coupla old magazine ads for sale on eBay, and a registration for a 45'r in Maryland.

For sale:Old Greenwich Yacht magazine ads for sale on eBay-A 45' Greenwich registered in Baltimore City County MD
I hope you have deep pockets. Wood boats can be had cheap because they cost a fortune to keep up. I had a 36' that the surveyor said was the best maintained boat he had ever seen and in the best shape for a non-restored 1966 boat. I was spending $10k per year on wood repairs and loosing ground. I ended up giving it away.

But if you do know what you are getting into, that's a beautiful boat and I envy you. I wish I could have kept mine.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 19:42   #3

Hey man!

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Yep it's the one for sale in Maryland. I have actually talked to the owner and although there is the added maintenance of wood, it seems like a great boat.

It's got a ridiculously efficient layout and inside seems to have the same livable room as a comparable 100 footer.

I figure I could purchase and completely reno her for right at 50, which even with the added maintenance of wood, still puts me into a pretty sweet boat for a lot less money over time than many.

I looked at some glass and steel boats that were in much worse shape and would have taken more to repair and they were about 3 times the price.

I'm looking to be able to live on the boat and run charters to the Bahamas out of Florida on her, and I think this one could be a good fit.

One of these years I'll try a sailboat again, but for the size and finish I know I really want, motor seems the way to go for now.

Plus this size (according to the development team) is about right for mounting a sky sails system when they become available for pleasurecraft in a couple of years.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:33   #4
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Sounds like a plan. That would be a great charter boat.

Keep us posted on the progress. A work log of the refurb would be great to watch. And we are very easily amused as long as you post lots of pretty pictures!

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25   #5

Thanks Dan...first step will be getting the rest of the purchase money together and going from there. A year of unemployment (luckily now resolved) unfortunately decimated the boat fund.

we shall see (anybody need their car washed?)

Old 13-09-2020, 20:38   #6

Re: Colonial or Greenwich Yachts?

Did anyone ever buy scherzo?

This was my grandmother and grandfathers boat. I spent many a summer on her.
skammer0274 is offline   Reply With Quote