Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
Hylas yachts

what is the opinion over there about the new range of Hylas yachts?

we in Europe do not know them really at all ; what about their quality/after sales/ sailing ability etc/?
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 19:41   #2

Hylas is not a new brand. We sailed on them in charter in the Caribbean in the 80's. They were originally designed and sold mostly to Dick Jachneys charter operation in St. Thomas. The original designers included such notables as German Frer's and Olin Stephens and the boats were extremely well constructed to be sturdy and with a high degree of fit and finish...a top end boat, made in Taiwan and priced less than other top end boats made elsewhere.
I've sailed for a week long charters on their old 44, 46 and 49 and been impressed with all of them under sail though perhaps the 49 was the best ride and the 46 was the best at anchor. My BIL owns a 54 for almost a decade now and remains well satisfied with the boat.
Factory support was ALWAYS iffy with these boats given the small size of the production and the distance to the factory...but fortunately the boats are high quality and parts are standard and widely available and the company does stand behind its' products.
I am not a big fan of the design of the newer boats as deck salons never much appealed to me, but I don't see any change in quality and I suppose they are building what people want in terms of layout.
Hope this is helpful to you.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 21:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I saw a brand new Hylas 54 tied up at KKMI in RIchmond CA a couple weeks ago and she was pretty impressive. All the deck hardware seemed to be of very high quality and she looked pretty good as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
Dear Cam, thanks for the info and as I can see you own a Tayana 52; correct?

What made you choose that instead of a Hylas?
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 18:15   #5

Eric...I was looking for a large CC boat that was bluewater capable. Actually looked at several Hylas' and Passports but none on the market at that time were in good condition in the price range I felt they were worth. I had not actually been considering Tayana due to over 6' draft and 70+' masts on the 52' sloops (not good for East coast USA)...but then my ketch popped up on yacht world with a 6' draft and 63 foot main mast...one of 2 built. I've always liked Perry designs...so we went for a look and the rest is history. We are done cruising now and she is in Annapolis on yachtworld if you want to see some pictures.

P.S. enjoying the Euro2008 here daily...you Swiss put on a good party!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 08:09   #6

Boat: Rhodes 32
Hylas is definately not a new brand as camaraderie says. It has roots back to 1981 with the Stevens 47. The original designers were German Frers and Rod Stephens not so much Olin. In the 80's and 90's, the 44 and 47 foot models became some of the most popular charter yachts in the Caribbean. But, Hylas was never your typical charterer and had a distinct owner emphasis. Many were sold by private dealers. These days the company is no longer associated with a charter business. Their quality, after sales, and sailing ability are top notch.

Queen Long Marine builds these yachts and is arguably the finest yard in Taiwan. When you talk about Hylas, this is one of their best points. Queen Long is uncompromising with their techniques. They even use Twaron, a kevlar like aramid fiber, standard on the 54 and 70 footers. Reportedly, this makes a hull as strong as metal. The light teak joinery work is exceptional. As David M says, the quality is pretty evident. The only question is the charter history on older ones which definately took a toll.

As to after sales, I know what camaraderie is saying. I have had problems with the language barrier. I have not had as much trouble with the distance. The production run is small size compared to mass production builders but is pretty tempid for a semi-custom builder. I think if you know the right routes you get excellent support. Queen Long Marine is responsive and customer oriented. So is the Marblehead headquarters. The owners association is one of the most thriving groups around. The service management in Fort Lauderdale is first class. In fact, the quality of people who own and work on these yachts is another strong point.

The sailing ability of Hylases is legendary. These are fast, seaworthy yachts. The Frers versions like the 46, 54, and 70 are the fastest and stiffest. The S&S 49-footer has a softer motion and impressive offshore track record. Camaraderie's thoughts that the 49 is the best ride and the 46 is the best at anchor are interesting. I have heard this the opposite way as well. There definately is a significant difference between the Frers and S&S models. If you like the quality and good looks of Hylas, a final important decision is which designer you prefer.

I think positively of Hylas' quality, after sales, and sailing ability. As camaraderie notes, the more recent 54 RS and 70-foot models are deck salons. I agree this kind of jars with your traditionalist sensibilities, but the style is definitely what is selling. The 54 RS outsells the regular 54 three to one. The 70 has been a success. These allow much more light into the interior. These compare to Tayanas and Passports here in the US. A main decision is whether you like R. H. Perry or German Frers. I think the quality and performance of these are similiar. In Europe, Oyster and Nautor Swan are competitors. A main difference here is that Hylases are significantly less expensive because of the lower cost labor in Taiwan.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 20:55   #7
ABK
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter, H26, 26 feet
Re: Hylas yachts

Video of the Hylas 70 Archangel as toured at the Annapolis Boat Show by ABK in October 4, 2012. Stylish, roomy with a large deck salon and staterooms below this yacht hits the high mark of quality and design!

Sail Boat Videos

Enjoy the Tour

ABK
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hylas