Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 17:35   #1

Cheaper Krogen Whaleback Equivalent?

Sorry folks I'm spamming this forum a lot lately!

I leaning more towards a powered trawler cat at this stage but haven't completely discounted a monohull.

The Krogen Whalebacks look very nice for a liveaboard cruiser but seem to be all well above my rough budget of $250k. Just wondering what the next best boat might be with similar characteristics and within my budget?

Eg what do folks think of something like the Novatec 48?

Should I be considering motorsailers as a trawler (even though I'm not concerned with sailing)?

Cheers
Paul
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:32   #2
cruiser

Re: Cheaper Krogen Whaleback equivalent?

What type of cruising would you like to do and where would you like to go? How long at a stay will you liveaboard? How many staterooms do you need? Do you have a predisposition toward a single engine or twins? What type of range do you think you'd need or how many gallons of fuel do you think are enough? What is the percentage split between staying at marinas and staying at anchor?

Those questions will help the right trawler find you instead of targeting a single type of boat that might not provide the things you'll really want once you find you're actually on it.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:33   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
Sorry folks I'm spamming this forum a lot lately!

I leaning more towards a powered trawler cat at this stage but haven't completely discounted a monohull.

The Krogen Whalebacks look very nice for a liveaboard cruiser but seem to be all well above my rough budget of $250k. Just wondering what the next best boat might be with similar characteristics and within my budget?

Eg what do folks think of something like the Novatec 48?

Should I be considering motorsailers as a trawler (even though I'm not concerned with sailing)?

Cheers
Paul
I'm confused
In the other thread Which motorcat? - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
you say you want a 10m cat with 60hp engines for around $250k.
Now you are looking at 15m mono's with 200+ hp engines
of a type not available in Australia
for around $700,000
Old 23-06-2011, 18:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I'm confused
In the other thread Which motorcat? - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
you say you want a 10m cat with 60hp engines for around $250k.
Now you are looking at 15m mono's with 200+ hp engines
of a type not available in Australia
for around $700,000
As I said above I'm leaning towards the cats yes but haven't discounted monos completely - sorry if all of this is very niaive!

Things like NOVATEC 48 YACHTFISHER boat details - BoatPoint Australia do seem to be available in Australia - and its reported to use about 30 litres per hour at 10 knots. This isn't close to what a 35' cat can do of course but its still an economy I would consider coping with if there are other reasons to choose such a design.

So yeah apologies if this is stupid but its just me trying to do my research and consider all options.
Old 23-06-2011, 19:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
What type of cruising would you like to do and where would you like to go? How long at a stay will you liveaboard? How many staterooms do you need? Do you have a predisposition toward a single engine or twins? What type of range do you think you'd need or how many gallons of fuel do you think are enough? What is the percentage split between staying at marinas and staying at anchor?

Those questions will help the right trawler find you instead of targeting a single type of boat that might not provide the things you'll really want once you find you're actually on it.

I was hoping it was reasonable to mention the above Krogen as something I believe matched the usage requirements I had in a trawler so you could offer suggestions that are equivalent to the Krogen but cheaper (if they existed). I know there'd be no two types of boats the same but just wondering about something with similiar characteristics - but yeah I guess this was niaive of me to give such a broad "something like this boat" question

So to address the above questions;
  • Permanent liveaboard but based in home town with access to vehicle onshore, family etc (still going to work each day for now)
  • As much coastal cruising as possible (weekends, holidays etc)
  • Maybe live in a marina during the monsoon/cyclone season (3-6 months a year). Otherwise moored/anchored in harbour.
  • One queen stateroom - another double room desirable but not essential for visitors - 3-4 extra temporary berths good (this would include extra double room) for visitors
  • From my dodgy research single engine might give slight better economy - but two engines give more redundancy and maneuverability? Not decided on this - but desirable to get around 1 gallon (3-4 litres) per NM at 8-10 knots or better..
  • Range of 1000 NM desirable but could work with 500NM (which is all i might get in the cats I'm looking at)
Old 23-06-2011, 19:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djambalawa View Post
and its reported to use about 30 litres per hour at 10 knots.
And more that double that at 14

I may be wrong, but if you are chasing that 10 knot speed, I still believe you are better getting a 10 knot boat and the engines to suit

I was under the impression that diesels like to work, so having big thumping turbos running at 1/3rd throttle may not be the way to go.
I may be wrong

And how much life have those 11 year old turbocharged motors left in them and the rest of the boats systems for that matter?

Think 10 year old car, then add salt.
Old 23-06-2011, 21:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
And more that double that at 14
They reckon 5 litres/NM at 14 knots which is just under double (70 litres per hour versus 30 litres per hour, but 5 litres per NM vs 3 litres per NM)

I reckon I'd average 3500 NM per year.. which at 10 knots would be about 10500 litres. The CAT might be 7000 litres less per year - or over $10k

Apparently it does 18 knots.. that would be scary fuel use

Agreed re the size of the engines... because its a displacement I guess you could repower it with a smaller setup that will push it at about 7-10 knots at a more optimal RPM? That would cost a few $$ though... but it'd be a very nice boat then.. wouldn't it?
Old 23-06-2011, 21:31   #8

I still have some doubt on the accuracy of the figures

A delivery on a new 48 ft ally powercat to Vanuatu I did a couple of years back was using 70/hour at 14-15 knots in fairly flat conditions with new volvo 310's x 2
All we had on board was 4 people and a load of fuel.

I would imagine the cat would have been considerably lighter and would not be pushing any where near as much water as the Novatec