Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 14:52   #1

Boat: Catalina 27
Batteries not charging

I have a Sea Ray Sundancer with 4 new batteries. When I fired up the engines last week I noticed a lack of energy in them and the meter said they were all at around 50%. The boat is docked with 30amp service. I was able to get the engines started and we ran them at least 4 hours and the batteries did not charge. When arriving back at the dock we notices the wing nuts were loose on 3 of the batteries and we tightened them hoping that was the problem. We hooked up to dock power and let it sit a week. Today I arrive back at the dock and they are still at 50% or worse.

Any ideas? Simple as a bad charger? Do the engines go through the charger to charge the batteries?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Klamathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 15:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Batteries not charging

Probably not your problem but had problem with one bank not charging. Showed voltage on battery monitor but neither alternator or solar charge controllers would recognize the battery. Tuned out to be corrosion on the cable terminals that was not readily apparent looking at them or with a multimeter. Replaced the cables and all is now well.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 15:08   #3

Re: Batteries not charging

first. L off get rid of the windows and put proper nuts that you can tighten with a wrench. okay so you need to put a voltmeter on your batteries and see if the charger is working. Does it have 110 volts going to the charger. Is there any voltage coming out of the chArger. you should see around 14.4 volts to start with the basics
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging