Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 12:45   #31

Boat: Alaskan 49
Re: Advice on Buying DeFever Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hi, Jan and Michel... I miss spoke in my last post. The Oil filtration system that is an add on to the CAT D330's are called luberfiners, not hydro fines. You should get 15-20k hours out of CAT's before they need rebuilding so lots of time to go before that. I recall she held about 1600gal of fuel and would be Hawaii capable with a 500gal bladder on the aft deck or swim grid.
Other than that you are looking at a fine vessel. I know her inside out and can answer pretty much any questions you might have after you look at her. I don't think the current owners cruised her a lot but lived aboard while visited their kids and grandkids who live there in SD.
When you get to the sea trial stage, be sure to arrange to take her outside and see how she rides with the Niad stabilizers... They really make a difference!
Access to the stabilizer head arrangement on them is great for maintenance as well.
The vacuflush heads are a great feature using fresh water that keeps odors to a minimum and the shower in the main head has an opening port that really helps keep the head dry from condensation.
A dentist was the first owner then a gifted cabinet maker who put in the entertainment center in the salon. The diesel heater in the salon is so efficient, it heats the salon, galley and you can feel it all the way to the wheelhouse! Run it for an hour and the boat gets very cosy. Longer, it gets too hot, even in the PNW. Additionally, she has a Wabasco forced air heater that keeps the below decks space very comfortable.
I could go on but best you check her out and see if she suits what you are looking for. She is a superb platform to live aboard, cruise and heaps of room for a family... Cheers, Phil
Thank you Phil
I really appreciate your taking time to enlightening us about Sea Rogue.
Do you know how long is the open window before too strong weather for cruising up PNW to Victoria?
Michel
Laksmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 09:04   #32

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Hi, Jan and Michel... You should be good until mid October then the weather windows for comfortable passages become shorter and shorter. With El Niño hitting this fall all bets are off in trying to use past weather as a predictor, however.
There are so many places to duck into on your way north or south from San Diego, if you are prudent and err on the safe side you should be fine. San Diego to Point C is always a cakewalk but once you turn the corner, expect taking weather and seas on the nose the whole way. Cape Mendocino is one point you want to stay well off because the confluence of wind and sea can make it fairly dangerous. Although, I've ducked into Fort Bragg at Noyo River a couple of times going south. The coastlies there are happy to guide you in from the 1 mile buoy. I've stopped there a couple of times to wait out bad seas off the Cape. Humbolt Bay is just a little further north and if the bar is OK to cross, it is a delightful spot with a fine marina, good restaurants and friendly folks.
When and if you come north, keep a good watch as there can be a fair bit of debris from fishing boats out for about 15 miles. Abandon Nets, lines, and stuff. Forty miles out you will be in tanker traffic coming down from Alaska to Southern CA.
Occasionally, there is a counter current of about 1/2 knot in a northwesterly direction from San Simeon north and out between 2 and 5 miles.
I would not advise going into the Columbia River if it is blowing at all. Greys Harbor just north of the Columbia River should only be attempted in daylight, with no fog and local knowledge is strongly advised!
Give the Tatoosh Islands a wide berth as you turn into the Straits of Juan de Fuca.
Let me know if I can be of help in planning your passage... Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 13:11   #33

Boat: Defever 48'

I had an 1980 Defever that had issues but I cruised it thousands of miles. I think by the mid to late 80's things had improved but a good survey is a must.
I've seen 1980's Krogens that had horrible fiberglass work. I surveyed one 42 and walked.
Jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 16:46   #34

Boat: Alaskan 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrs1958 View Post
I had an 1980 Defever that had issues but I cruised it thousands of miles. I think by the mid to late 80's things had improved but a good survey is a must.
I've seen 1980's Krogens that had horrible fiberglass work. I surveyed one 42 and walked.
Thank you Jrs1958
We looked at DeFevers and Krogens early 80's and were not impressed at all, always the problem were Fiberglass. We ended up buying a Wooden Alaskan 49, 1973 in excellent condition. It doesn't scare me being a ex woodworker and all.
Cheers.
Michel
Laksmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 17:31   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
My old DeFever 54 is for sale in San Diego... mahogany hull, CAT D330's, well equipped and the new owner has had her for around 6-7 years and kept her in good shape, I believe. Price has dropped as well... I think she is listed on Yachtworld but only has one walkaround queen. Worth a look if wood doesn't bother you. Good Hunting... Phil
Hello Capt Phil,
Is this your old DeFever? I'm seriously considering this beautiful DeFever and would appreciate any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	155341  
Jaw1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trawler