Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 20:58   #181

Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
[B]1)
Amazing how some have lots of problems others do not the above interested me as Hunter do not build stoves do they? So this problem was more of a stove manufacture problem yes Hunter fitted it or did they?
Stock stove, I understand.
Old 29-03-2011, 21:49   #182

Boat: deboated

As I said some seem to find problems others do not. Never owned a Hunter but have never read or seen anything that would turn me off buying one. A bit like cars usually more to do with the owners than the manufacturers. User treatment service and maintenance usually has a greater bearing on the performance.
Old 30-03-2011, 10:18   #183

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters and Hull flexing

I have been on a 45 cc in very large seas about 400 miles out, caught in gale force winds and yes the hull did flex a little on the sides. The squeaking and creeking was very loud, but so was the squeaking on a Hylas and a Passport. I have not found a boat that doesn't creek or flex in extreme seas. Does anyone know of one? A few years ago while flying the Concord to Paris at Mach II I could look down the fuselage and see it flexing by more than 6 inches. The attendants said this was normal. So whats a little flexing?
Old 30-03-2011, 11:00   #184

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Stoves are replaceable, lee cloths, and chain plates are fixable. Flexing, ... not so much. I have heard this from several sources, that 1. This problem is only in a few years, and sizes, of Hunters, and a few other manufacturers boats. Not a condemnation of an entire brand, just something to be aware of. Will it affect a coastal cruiser, racer, or weekend partier, never. Will it affect a circumnavigator, ...maybe. Will I buy a Hunter, ...maybe, but I want to research from as many impartial sources as I can before I do. This shouldn't be a my boat is better than your boat thread, but a realistic list of problems and solutions.
Old 30-03-2011, 11:05   #185

with luck it will pass... Hunters are like Harleys. They're at their best sitting still...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 30-03-2011, 12:28   #186

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
with luck it will pass... Hunters are like Harleys. They're at their best sitting still...
obviously you have owned neither
Old 30-03-2011, 15:42   #187

Flexing in a lot of areas such as that aeroplane is required otherwise failures will occure. Note that "flexing was observed" so the boat flexes and? We never seem to hear flexing occured followed by boat breaking up and sinking. I am sure we will now hear of someone who was told by his friend who's uncle overheard a conversation about a Hunter that did just that. So Hunters are flexing and sinking all over the world particularly in the USA where the majority are based? Or Hunters are for sail everywhere at cut price as the owners are unable to put up with this massive flexing problem pieces of sole flying through the cabin area.
Sometimes reading CF good information can be gained but at other times just a good laugh.
Old 30-03-2011, 16:02   #188
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

1) The stove. It was a RV stove according to the manual. The pot holders were flush with the cooking surface, useless. The stove racks had no lip to prevent trays from sliding off. The stove handle hit the the grab bar preventing it from gimballing properly, making cooking underway while heeled impossible.

An RV stove that is gimballed? Hello? Is that for one of those Winnebegos that goes down the highway at a heel if you don't reef early enough?

Next thing you'll be telling us is that the windlass was taken out of the chain locker of a John Deere tractor.
Old 30-03-2011, 16:13   #189

After taking a Hunter 45cc 1500 miles to Puerto Rico the only flex I saw was the forward cabin door being a little sticky in 40 + kts. of breeze. The plumbing and the lack of “Y” valves is another issue along with hand holds.

Mark Twain
Old 30-03-2011, 16:20   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
An RV stove that is gimballed? Hello? Is that for one of those Winnebegos that goes down the highway at a heel if you don't reef early enough?

Next thing you'll be telling us is that the windlass was taken out of the chain locker of a John Deere tractor.
Easy to gimbal by riveting attachments to the sides. I know what I saw.
Old 30-03-2011, 16:29   #191

Quote:
Easy to gimbal by riveting attachments to the sides. I know what I saw.
And you figure that's original?

Mark Twain
Old 30-03-2011, 16:36   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
And you figure that's original?
That is what the owner told me.

That was the first time there was an attempt to use the stove underway.
Old 30-03-2011, 17:17   #193

Quote:
That is what the owner told me.

That was the first time there was an attempt to use the stove underway.
In all due respect Jack,
Believe me I’m not a poster child for Hunters. Or Catalina’s, Benny’s, Jenny’s ect. but I have spent a lot of time on them. When offshore, as I’m sure you’ve experienced, you have time to look around. Screws where bolts and lock nuts should be used and numerous other items (standing & running rigging comes to mind).
These are not HR’s,, Hylas’s or numerous “Blue Water Boats” that in a perfect world be better choices, BUT, they aren’t bad boats.
I think in a previous life that stove was replaced on the budget. I can’t fathom the original purchaser accepting that.

Mark Twain
Old 30-03-2011, 18:12   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
In all due respect Jack,
Believe me I’m not a poster child for Hunters. Or Catalina’s, Benny’s, Jenny’s ect. but I have spent a lot of time on them. When offshore, as I’m sure you’ve experienced, you have time to look around. Screws where bolts and lock nuts should be used and numerous other items (standing & running rigging comes to mind).
These are not HR’s,, Hylas’s or numerous “Blue Water Boats” that in a perfect world be better choices, BUT, they aren’t bad boats.
I think in a previous life that stove was replaced on the budget. I can’t fathom the original purchaser accepting that.
BUT, they aren’t bad boats
I agree they are not bad boats just why people are willing to accept as fact silly statements about products that with a little bit of common sense do not add up. A very famous case regarding the keel coming off a well known brand has been used numerous times to bad mouth that brand of boat and also similar type/brands. The real story was the boat had been damaged previously and had not been repaired. So no the keel had not just fallen off without help. Just like the stove that was original because the owner said it was, maybe it was when he bought the boat, had it been replaced after it left Hunter's factory
Old 30-03-2011, 19:15   #195

I have told the owner to replace the stove.

I have sailed over 50 different models of boats. I get paid to sail OPBs. This the worst stove I have ever seen. It is dangerous.
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter