Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 21:24   #31

Re: My worst sailing injury...so far

Taking my 36 foot Jeanneau to the fuel dock I hopped off to loosen the spring that was caught on the bollard. Of course the rest off the lines were back on board and somehow I must have put her in gear when I hopped so off she went without me. I made a flying dive to get back on board and sliced my shin nicely, on the toerail, I suspect. Not a big deal, got it stitched up. However...

A few weeks later it's time for the stitches to come out and the just recently departed ex is over to pick up some things and offers to remove the stitches and save me the trip to my doc (she's a doc). A couple of days later my leg blows up, infected and puss-y and fat like a fender. She 'forgot' one of the stitches. There's a moral (or two) in that story somewhere.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 22:22   #32

Boat: 1995 Larson Cabrio

This guy hit a prop while climbing up a swim ladder on a sandbar.

Injury from propeller at sandbar. Graphic pic warning - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
Joe from ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 22:45   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think my worst was a couple of cracked ribs from one of the old fashioned drum halyard winches--released the brake with the handle in while reefing around Pt Conception, and it was painful to breathe for a month.

I also remember one nighttime spinnaker gybe when the pole slammed into the side of my head and I actually saw stars--but I didn't let go of the guy or the boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 02:02   #34

Boat: Admiral Catamaran, 40'

Lost a arm and a leg.........

Financially
Oceanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 02:41   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 17:22   #36

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanaut View Post
Lost a arm and a leg.........

Financially
Hope it was a nice boat that cost an arm and a leg. Then a least you enjoyed the whole experience.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 16:57   #37

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

I damaged a knee assisting a stuck vessel. Never was quite certain how the knee got hurt in the whole enterprise. She swelled up like a football and did not work correctly for about 18 months. Husband managed to clock himself in the head with a metal bar ( don't ask), he did not believe me when I said he needed a trip to the ermergency room. He believed the neighbour who was a retired military medic. 7 staples later gash closed, trip back to the boat uneventful except for the clothing that retained it's blood stains forever. Oh ya , he also managed to break a couple of ribs on Grand Bahama Island, somehow got between the boat and a piling. Don't try that trick it was entirely unpleasant.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 15:43   #38

Boat: contessa 32

I had a pot of boiling water pitched off a gimbaled stove onto the back of a bare leg……….
As luck would have it there was a cooler full of recently melted ice water nearby that I quickly poured over the painful burn which did much to make that night tolerable. By the next morning leg felt much better but large area of skin turned black and came off after a few days.No scaring either. I do think that that the quick application of that ice water did much to prevent greater damage.
Offshore ,cooks ,especially on racers are known to wear their bib weather gear">foul weather gear when
things are bouncy,but this happened while motoring in a dead calm with the wake of a passing ferry.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 16:36   #39

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchcraft View Post
I damaged a knee assisting a stuck vessel. Never was quite certain how the knee got hurt in the whole enterprise. She swelled up like a football and did not work correctly for about 18 months. Husband managed to clock himself in the head with a metal bar ( don't ask), he did not believe me when I said he needed a trip to the ermergency room. He believed the neighbour who was a retired military medic. 7 staples later gash closed, trip back to the boat uneventful except for the clothing that retained it's blood stains forever. Oh ya , he also managed to break a couple of ribs on Grand Bahama Island, somehow got between the boat and a piling. Don't try that trick it was entirely unpleasant.
You were lucky. I injured my leg toboganning and took 30 years to bend it again fully.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, sail