First, hello. This is my first post. My husband keeps telling me to come here and he's becoming quite a pest about it, so I decided to take a look and this part of the forum immediately caught my eye so I decided to take him up on it.
Approximately 3 days before Christmas
, we attempted to leave Long Beach for Santa Catalina Island
. We did not check the weather
advisory first. All look calm in our little protected harbor.
When we got about 10 miles away from Long Beach, we were hitting 10 to 15 foot swells, and the wind
gusts were up to 34-47 knots. There is nothing more exhilarating (read scary) than looking up at a wall of water
We also became very seasick. I would have taken pictures except that I was so seasick that I didn't care about the camera
We finally decided that we weren't going to finish the trip and we headed back for Long Beach. The next day, the manager of the docks said that when he saw us getting ready to go out, he thought about telling us about the gale warning, but figured we knew what we were doing. LOL!!!
Nothing more fun than a couple of newbies, imo. We also found out later that all shuttles to Catalina
had been canceled.
If we had listened to NOA weather forecast
, we would have avoided the whole mess.
Oh, we also lost
a line overboard
and it wrapped itself around the propeller
and stalled our engine
. Luckily, it didn't stall until we arrived back in the harbor. But then we found ourselves up against one of the piers. We had the company of quite a few people who were working at the docks, plus the sheriff and the fire department, while we waited to be rescued by Boats U.S. All within seeing distance of the marina.
So, check the weather before you sail.