Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2016, 09:19   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Oh Great... Now my brain is melting.... Al's Ideas always do that too.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 17:21   #137

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Dont tell anyone, but I think the earth is flat.

Thanks, the New Yorker piece was excellent.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 00:55   #138

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oh Great... Now my brain is melting.... Al's Ideas always do that too.
Believe me there are much more mind boggling things out there than relativity, which is actually not that complicated after all. All you have to do is let go of your paradigms formed by day to day experience and look at a new axiom with an open mind. Even the mathematics is simple, just geometry (mostly basic trigonometry) and a bit of calculus.

Einstein did not even start it. In the beginning it was called Lorentz-Einstein theory and a lot of the work was already done by Hendrik Lorentz, Henri Poincaré, and Hermann Minkowski (Special Relativity) as well as Marcel Grossmann, and David Hilbert (General Relativity) before Einstein wrote his paper in 1905 without citing the others properly! It was Poincaré who came up with m=E/c^2. (Looks familiar? Just rearrange for E and you get the famous E=mc^2)

This is the reason Einstein did not win the Nobel price for his work on relativity.

However, easy to understand does not imply easy to discover. Einstein was the one who finished the puzzle.
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 04:47   #139
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
More importantly, why have we defined a gram as the mass of water contained in a cube one - one hundred millionth of the distance from the mythical equator to the pole and liter as the volume of a cube one- ten millionth of the distance from the mystical equator to the pole?
Actually, the basic unit of measurement for mass is the kilogram. A gram is defined as one thousandth of a kilogram.

But ➥ Kilogram conflict resolved at last : Nature News & Comment

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 05:13   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Actually, the basic unit of measurement for mass is the kilogram. A gram is defined as one thousandth of a kilogram.

But ➥ Kilogram conflict resolved at last : Nature News & Comment
You just added another layer of insanity then... a thousand of any metric unit should be a mili-something. So a gram should be a milikilogram (spelling?) but since kilo- is a prefix meaning 1000, it's clear that gram was the originally intended base unit (just like meter was redefined later as something other than 1/10millionth the distance from the equator to the pole)

Supporting that, I think the kilogram as the standard is a later adaptation (probably because a gram wasn't a very useful measure for most common tasks at the time). Quote from everyone's favorite make it up as you go source wikipedia:
The gram, 1/1000th of a kilogram, was originally defined in 1795 as the mass of one cubic centimeter of water at the melting point of water.[3] The original prototype kilogram, manufactured in 1799 and from which the IPK is derived, had a mass equal to the mass of 1.000028 dm3 of water at its maximum density at approximately 4 °C

Then again, metric logic would have suggested the standard unit of measure for mass should have been the mass of a 1 meter cube of water.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 05:42   #141

Boat: Island Packet 35

Well Brimstone Head on Fogo Island ( NE coast of Newfoundland) 60km away from where I live, is considered to be one of the 4 corners, according to the Flat earth Society.
I guess in theory I should have sailed over the edge of the earth long ago??
Come on seriously!!

On the other hand, I did meet and ask Chris Hadfield (Canadian Astronaut) about what he thought on the moon landing, or not, conspiracy. He wouldn't speak to me anymore that evening!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 06:05   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
On the other hand, I did meet and ask Chris Hadfield (Canadian Astronaut) about what he thought on the moon landing, or not, conspiracy. He wouldn't speak to me anymore that evening!!
You are lucky that you did not meet Buzz Aldrin (2nd man on the moon). He was so annoyed by one of those conspiracy theory guys he punched him in the face. Normally I condemn violence but this guy was really asking for it. And Buzz throws a mean punch for 86 year old man!

watch here:

Old 26-04-2016, 06:22   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Amazing! Thank you for that. I was not aware that the kg is about to be redefined.
Old 30-04-2016, 09:18   #144

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

I propose that errors are built into the measurements of everything due to not calculating the 'actual 'distances between the ends of Planks .The universe is not flat like the earth. Curved in the 4'th , Planks are not constant and their ends are closer in the 5th that would appear measured in the 3rd. Anyone who has built a wooden boat knows this as they present steamed wood to a 3 dimensional hull. especially a transom. ( Stu, your Chandlers wobble was addressed in 'The Habb Theory' , Sci fi from the '50's 'Hard to believe unless you can wrap your head around the earth being round)
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 15:06   #145

I once walked one and it was flat.
Old 21-06-2016, 18:23   #146

... if the earth were flat we couldn't put satellites in orbit around the planet ... no physics could explain how that would work with a flat earth.
emkopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 19:32   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkopes View Post
... if the earth were flat we couldn't put satellites in orbit around the planet ... no physics could explain how that would work with a flat earth.
Satellites are a myth. Have you actually seen one? They use high powered ground antennas and say it's a satellite so they can charge you more for the service. That's why it's possible to be "outside" satellite coverage. A big corporate lie.

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk
tchavei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 20:31   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Believe me there are much more mind boggling things out there than relativity, which is actually not that complicated after all. All you have to do is let go of your paradigms formed by day to day experience and look at a new axiom with an open mind. Even the mathematics is simple, just geometry (mostly basic trigonometry) and a bit of calculus.

Oh me Oh my.....batting my eyelashes. However did I miss this.....

Yes I am a woman and blonde and older then dirt, or so it feels like sometimes. So the assumption is perhaps I spend lots of time in the kitchen and know nothing of how things work. You might be right with the average blonde woman. I've never been average.

Myself, I'm an engineer and worked in engineering for well over 35 years (HVAC, Plumbing, hydronics, fire protection, etc, etc). I know a bit about electrical too. Registered engineer with a bunch of initials after my name, if I bothered to used them, which I don't or care to.

I was only the second general engineer, not specialized, the last company I worked for hired, in 60 years. I'm also an autodidact, which means I tend to read a bit. I'm self taught in engineering, ok pretty much everything else too, with computer science (C++, C#, Fortran, assembler, VB, etc). Sat and passed the PE exam first go. Wrote a 66,000 line C++ hydraulic analysis software with cad interface and 3D projection, for fun. I once built a Newtonian telescope, from a photograph.

I also sail.

I'm thinking our current understanding of the cosmos will seem like Celestial Spheres 500 years from now, if we're still around.

I've read about string theory,(does not float my boat), super symmetry, (nope, don't think that will be right either). Branes, Branes are pretty cool.

So how does one use trig or geometry to calculate multiple brane's anyway?

For the flat earthers, anyone with a boat who's sailed 20 miles from shore, knows the world is not flat. If the world were flat you would still be able to see the beach from 7 miles away. Does Not Happen. Not in this brane anyway.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 20:45   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Well, almost...you forgot to mention pages of Continuum Mechanics Calculations. Otherwise it is simple.
UAEguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 20:58   #150

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Sailorchic, many of the brainiacs at CERN were a bit disappointed when the Higgs boson turned out to be around 125 atomic weight.

Which put it at the midpoint of a range of weight that would indicate super symmetry on one end and the multiverse theory on the other. Multiverse=branes?

At least they verified Higgs.

Anyway, gonna have to supercharge that LHC and bang about some more atoms. Good times. Unless of course they destroy the universe doing it.