Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2011, 11:52   #16

Boat: Hunter 33 - Breezin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Lastly, a pretty girl in the information booth told me that the outfit running the Boat Show were strongly considering pulling it for 2011 and regrouping as they are having trouble selling booths and the door take isn't what it once was.

I found that credible, so maybe it's going to be renting a bus for Annapolis next year...if that. Frankly, I haven't darkened the door of a West Marine for years...I order stuff on line from Fisherman's Supply and Stright-Mackay and Mermaid Marine and other "semi-pro" places, like where the owners of workboats and fishing boats shop. If I ever have need of a hat that reads "Kiss Me, I Be th' Skipper, Ar", my opinion might moderate.

I'm surprised. A newly formed group bought the Toronto and Vancouver shows just this past year.

Canadian Boat Shows Inc.

and they have the dates for next year already ....

Mark Your Calendar
for Next Year!

January 14 - 22, 2012
January 13 Special Preview Night
scottb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 13:51   #17

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Mods, if this should be elsewhere please move.

I spent about 8 hours at the Toronto Boat show yesterday, going back down again today to work the Ontario Boat Builders Coop booth. I have some time to look around and it sure seems that the show has a lot less booths this year. I was hoping to get a lot of info on gear I need for my rebuild but it seems most of the outfits I was hoping to chat with aren't there this year.

Anyone else been down there this year? What was your impression?

Sabre
I was down on Thursday for a few hours and didn,t see a lot in the way of sailboats or gear. I guess it's a sign of the tough times we are going through.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 13:56   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
I got my 33 footer cover from Quinte Canvas, but the front half ripped up badly and the "tarp substitute" isn't doing well.

Maybe I should have the front repaired, except it'll look like Frankentarp.

I only go on sailboats at the Boat Show to look at the 24 inch lifelines, the unbacked deck gear, the undoggable floor hatches, the too-wide companionways, and the handhold-deficient, super wide saloons to sniff in disgust and mutter..."you call that ocean-rated?"

Yeah, I have opinions on what is safe at sea.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 13:56   #19

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"
I Remember Sabre Dance from about 25 years ago at York Bay Marine on Toronto Island. I could be wrong on the year. I also think the boat show shrank about the same time. I haven't been for about five years because after you've seen one pontoon boat you've seen "em" all.
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 16:37   #20

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I got my 33 footer cover from Quinte Canvas, but the front half ripped up badly and the "tarp substitute" isn't doing well.

I only go on sailboats at the Boat Show to look at the 24 inch lifelines, the unbacked deck gear, the undoggable floor hatches, the too-wide companionways, and the handhold-deficient, super wide saloons to sniff in disgust and mutter..."you call that ocean-rated?"
I'm a little surprised. I've got a Genco cover that's holding up very well, & it's no spring chicken, though I'm not sure just how old it is. Only the tie down straps & loops are starting to wear through.

I usually check the sailboats, looking for ideas. Yeah, they seldom have nav stations, engine access isn't too great, hanging lockers too small. They seem to have nice head compartments, although I can't figure out why a 40 foot boat needs two of them.

There did seem to be fewer vendors this year, or they were replaced with... I dunno, extreme wakeboard surfer dude shops, sunglass huts, etc.
Old 27-01-2011, 16:50   #21

Exactly. Waste of time for me...but I buy enough stuff from vendors that I usually get passes.

I agree about the two heads thing. I have one head only on the 41 footer we have, but it's a Lavac and can flush anything guests bring...
Old 27-01-2011, 18:47   #22

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
I have never seen so many steam mop vendors in one place.
On the upside, the booth occupied in previous years by a Mcgregor dealer was replaced by a beer garden.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 21:04   #23

Agreed. That particular firm should've stuck with socks.
Old 28-01-2011, 06:09   #24

Boat: Heritage 35
They might have to move it back into the Automotive building. Can remember lining up to see a folkboat as it was biggest cruising boat there!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 12:31   #25

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombats View Post
I Remember Sabre Dance from about 25 years ago at York Bay Marine on Toronto Island. I could be wrong on the year. I also think the boat show shrank about the same time. I haven't been for about five years because after you've seen one pontoon boat you've seen "em" all.
Could well be. I got two photo albums with her and they show her on a dock in the islands being out fitted. They also show her on display at an in water boat show, also on the island (I think). Perhaps I should scan the photos and maybe someone can ident the area.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show