Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2014, 11:38   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
how quickly we forget our past


quote Sailor stranded in Halifax to be deported while partner stays - Nova Scotia - CBC News

For some strange reason CBSA is playing hardball with them. And is not exercising those mechanisms, and is forcing this family to separate after nine years together on the high seas.”

He said Nova Scotia, a province with a history of seafaring, is taking the wrong approach.

“These are seafarers.They deserve better than they're getting from the Canadian immigration system here.”
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 14:36   #47
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Does anyone else find this story somewhat incredible? Let me point out the following:

1. They claim to have been 'adrift' and yet the photos of the boat in Halifax Harbour show the mainmast, forestay and baby stay all intact. Indeed, there would appear to be a yankee and staysail still intact. This makes sense, of course, as their report of the incident refers only to losing the 'topmast' and of 'the sail' being wrecked. What sail, the top sail? How would that have left them adrift?

2. They apparently decided to sail to Halifax, not Bermuda, prior to the damage to the topmast. Fine. However, they did not bother to check on entry requirements and to arrange a VISA prior to entry (as was required). Alternatively, they knew the requirements and chose to ignore them. Even if the topmast and sail had not been damaged, they would have been in exactly the same position - entering Canada illegally.

3. I also note that they had only been out of diesel fuel "for 4 days". Again, this tends to confirm they had not been adrift at sea for an extended period, but rather that they had planned on Halifax as their destination and had only run out of fuel towards the end of the voyage. Is it possible that this sea-disaster tale was concocted to attempt to jusitify their illegal entry into Canada, knowing full well that she required a visa?

4. It is also interesting that her version of the damage to the boat is completely lacking in detail, allegedly because "it all happened so fast". Well they certainly had time to discuss it and to consider possible repairs, did they not? Or was this unwillingness/inability to provide detail feighned so that her story would not conflict with the captain's version?

5. Although they may have entered illegally (and I say 'they', as the captain should not be bringing in persons who do not meet legal entry requirements except in a real emergency), it should be noted that Canadian authorties did not place her in detention. Rather, she was left with him on the boat for a significant period until it became clear that they had no intention of leaving any time soon. At that point I gather a flight was arranged for her.

6. I also note that they received free docking for a period of 6 weeks. Hardly the 'bum's rush', or a lack of sympathy by authorities for what appears to be anything but a real maritime emergency.

Canadian authorities tend not to comment on evidence that they possess on open files, especially where there is the possibility of a hearing somewhere down the road. Rather than litigating through the media, they prefer to deal with these matters in the proper venue. Regardless, to this point we have only one side to a rather suspicious tale. Indeed, if there are this many internal inconsistenciess in their own untested version of events, one can imagine what other conflicts arose in their interviews and an examination of the boat.

I and most Canadians are always happy when people want to visit Canada. Halifax (and the Province of Nova Scotia) are indeed worthwhile destinations. However, it should surprise no one that our country, like all others, has entry and immigration restrictions which should be respected.

He may want to stay and work in Canada in order to support himself and his spouse while he either repairs, or sells his boat. Sadly for him, Canada (again, like every other country I know) requires a work visa before foreign nationals can find legal employment here. Whether or not others on this forum respect such laws, the unemployment rate in Nova Scotia is still very high and there are valid reasons for them.

Brad
__________________

__________________
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 15:03   #48
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 461
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Show up in many countries without a visa and see what happens. Some countries throw you in jail before deporting you.
Also known as Ellis Island? Methinks humanity is losing its humanity.
__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles - The Umbrella Man.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 15:44   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Quote:
Also known as Ellis Island? Methinks humanity is losing its humanity
"When did it get it?" says the cynic in me.

But really, its not "humanity". We have always been ruled governed by a ruthless bunch who hire people who will follow orders without hesitation. I think the average Dick is more soft hearted, so to to speak.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 16:06   #50
Registered User
 
Sailor_Hutch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 461
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
"When did it get it?" says the cynic in me.

But really, its not "humanity". We have always been ruled governed by a ruthless bunch who hire people who will follow orders without hesitation. I think the average Dick is more soft hearted, so to to speak.
Yes, and the "New Colossus" -by Jewish immigrant Emma Lazarus is about a country that is neither new nor colossus anymore. However; its words do include sailors explicitly:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

But - alas - it was never any kind of legal doctrine. Just a nice poem by a young Jewish immigrant who managed to convince somebody to inscribe it into the statue of Liberty. I suppose Canada has its own poet for this idea, writing poems about the idealist utopia that's never been.
__________________
Sailor_Hutch was born for water. His 130 pounds, well insulated, floats like a bouy. With webbed paws, he gracefully paddles - The Umbrella Man.
Sailor_Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 16:22   #51
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,036
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

That's nothing! I've survived months and years in New Mexico.
__________________
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 16:27   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 324
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

How true-"utopia that never existed".
I was just up in Halifax-seems booming to me.Better than NYC and L.I. at least.
Sure the fellow is broke and sure no visa for his mate but Canada, until just recently was proud to contrar its southern twin.N.S. has large Vietnam dodger population that never returned south.
Prolly fellow BS'ed just to too much and thick.Harper-Uhg.
__________________
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 16:27   #53
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Quote:
But - alas - it was never any kind of legal doctrine. Just a nice poem by a young Jewish immigrant who managed to convince somebody to inscribe it into the statue of Liberty. I suppose Canada has its own poet for this idea, writing poems about the idealist utopia that's never been.
Maybe, but we also have Leonard Cohen.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 16:40   #54
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Maybe, but we also have Leonard Cohen.
Hallelujah. Just read his biography. One of my music heroes is Mr Cohen, or has he describes himself, "Just some lazy bastard in a suit"

Coops.
__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 17:09   #55
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,902
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Yes, the downtown Halifax waterfront is truly great. I've enjoyed each visit very much. Fun crowd.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 17:43   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Sailors survive 32 days at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Anyone notice how the pilot charts seem to be going badly wrong in the last few years? No westerlies for weeks? Very odd.
is this phenomenon you mentioned not a side effect of el nino?
this is an el nino year
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 17:55   #57
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Does anyone else find this story somewhat incredible? Let me point out the following:

1. They claim to have been 'adrift' and yet the photos of the boat in Halifax Harbour show the mainmast, forestay and baby stay all intact. Indeed, there would appear to be a yankee and staysail still intact. This makes sense, of course, as their report of the incident refers only to losing the 'topmast' and of 'the sail' being wrecked. What sail, the top sail? How would that have left them adrift?

2. They apparently decided to sail to Halifax, not Bermuda, prior to the damage to the topmast. Fine. However, they did not bother to check on entry requirements and to arrange a VISA prior to entry (as was required). Alternatively, they knew the requirements and chose to ignore them. Even if the topmast and sail had not been damaged, they would have been in exactly the same position - entering Canada illegally.

3. I also note that they had only been out of diesel fuel "for 4 days". Again, this tends to confirm they had not been adrift at sea for an extended period, but rather that they had planned on Halifax as their destination and had only run out of fuel towards the end of the voyage. Is it possible that this sea-disaster tale was concocted to attempt to jusitify their illegal entry into Canada, knowing full well that she required a visa?

4. It is also interesting that her version of the damage to the boat is completely lacking in detail, allegedly because "it all happened so fast". Well they certainly had time to discuss it and to consider possible repairs, did they not? Or was this unwillingness/inability to provide detail feighned so that her story would not conflict with the captain's version?

5. Although they may have entered illegally (and I say 'they', as the captain should not be bringing in persons who do not meet legal entry requirements except in a real emergency), it should be noted that Canadian authorties did not place her in detention. Rather, she was left with him on the boat for a significant period until it became clear that they had no intention of leaving any time soon. At that point I gather a flight was arranged for her.

6. I also note that they received free docking for a period of 6 weeks. Hardly the 'bum's rush', or a lack of sympathy by authorities for what appears to be anything but a real maritime emergency.

Canadian authorities tend not to comment on evidence that they possess on open files, especially where there is the possibility of a hearing somewhere down the road. Rather than litigating through the media, they prefer to deal with these matters in the proper venue. Regardless, to this point we have only one side to a rather suspicious tale. Indeed, if there are this many internal inconsistenciess in their own untested version of events, one can imagine what other conflicts arose in their interviews and an examination of the boat.

I and most Canadians are always happy when people want to visit Canada. Halifax (and the Province of Nova Scotia) are indeed worthwhile destinations. However, it should surprise no one that our country, like all others, has entry and immigration restrictions which should be respected.

He may want to stay and work in Canada in order to support himself and his spouse while he either repairs, or sells his boat. Sadly for him, Canada (again, like every other country I know) requires a work visa before foreign nationals can find legal employment here. Whether or not others on this forum respect such laws, the unemployment rate in Nova Scotia is still very high and there are valid reasons for them.

Brad
surely a country as blessed as canada has room for a sailor and somporn
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 18:15   #58
Registered User
 
salticrak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: palmwoods qld australia
Boat: wharram tiki 26
Posts: 739
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

why would you notify the authorities of your arrival if you had a hidden agenda?
__________________
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 06:27   #59
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

I don't know, when I travel I alway try to respect the laws and culture of the other country. He has chosen to violate them and when his ridiculous story didn't move the border officials into allowing him to break them, he has chosen to publicly criticize that country. And it is a ridiculous story. Apart from the obvious conflicts I pointed out yesterday, does anyone believe that his boat sustained $75,000.00 in damage during this allegely terrible ordeal? Seems the mast is up, the rig is essentially intact, the doghouse, deck and hull suffered no apparent damage. And we know the diesel is still functioning as he motored into harbour after receiving a free top-up of fuel from a cargo vessel.

People like him do a disservice to cruisers around the world who may suffer a legitimate disaster at sea, forcing them to take shelter in a country that they had not decided to visit and for which they do not have appropriate visas, etc. Even in those circumstances, one would think that he should thank the government for not keeping his spouse in a detention facility and for providing free-docking for 6 weeks. He should thank those who offered to help him (and I am sure that there are many and not just the one resident of Nova Scotia from this site who contributed to this thread).

I can guarantee that if I, as a citizen of Canada, pulled into harbour with a boat that had suffered legitimate damage at sea, I wouldn't receive free docking. I am sorry that he cannot afford to support his spouse and his chosen lifestyle without breaking the laws of our country. I suspect strongly that she would have been allowed to stay if he had the means of supporting her (and if he cannot afford docking, how can he afford to do that). Even those who enter our country with a visa for 6 months (or like himself, who do not need a visa) can stay only if they are self-supporting. This requirement (which is true of any country I know) is there so that our taxpayers do not end up paying to support them. Let's face it, even our free health care is not free to the taxpayers of Canada.

Eastern Canada has a great tradition of not only understanding those who go to sea, but of helping them. When the survivors of the Titanic were brought to Newfoundland, virtually all local residents of the small (and poor) fishing community put them up in their homes and fed them.

This tradition carries on. He has been provided free docking for 6 weeks (even though his story of a disaster at sea is laughable) and his spouse was allowed to stay with him on the boat for weeks, even though she was in the country illegally. What Canada is not prepared to do is to provide him with a work visa illegally - yes, illegally. Unemployment is very high in Nova Scotia and our laws permit work visas for foreigners only when they and their employer can demonstrate that no Canadian have the qualifications/skills to undertake that job.

If he were to come up with a legitimate estimate of the costs to get his boat seaworthy (assuming there are legitimate costs for damages suffered during the voyage), I have little doubt that others would come to his aid. But having chosen to attack Canada in the circumstances, perhaps he should just put his boat on the hard and fly home to England in order to find work to pay for his refit. I for one would be prepared to kick in $100.00 to a fund for his ticket, if he cannot afford that.

Brad
__________________
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 08:49   #60
Registered User
 
Sailormantx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newfoundland
Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Posts: 253
Images: 2
Re: Sailors Survive 32 days at Sea

I am thinking there is more to this than what has been reported in the news. The CBC article said he may go around the peninsula to anchor in the Northwest arm. The locals at the yacht club say they haul out there boats in the winter because it freezes over, except for a few behind the island they keep over bubblers. He would do much better to get some groceries and sail to a warmer and more economical location before winter sets in. The boat is floating and the rigging and sails appear functional, he could shove off the end of that dock and sail straight out to sea with no difficulty. It would be interesting to find out what the whole story is, maybe somebody local could talk to him ? I am not volunteering as I am sailing in the morning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three Men Survive a Week on Capsized Catamaran Aussiesuede Cruising News & Events 22 31-08-2009 08:21
Could a 40-50' Cat Survive This - capcook Seamanship & Boat Handling 6 16-07-2009 10:36
Can an elec guitar survive 2 years on a boat henryk Fishing, Recreation & Fun 8 13-09-2008 19:19
Sailors survive hours in Gulf; 1 found dead watersofdiego Cruising News & Events 2 09-06-2008 11:43



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.