Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 16:14   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetluvver View Post
Unfortunately, I would still need to go a long way from Seattle to Port Townsend! But the train is a lovely suggestion, and perhaps I will make the trip sometime. Much more scenic than an interstate highway!
If the train stops in Mukilteo, it's probably within walking distance from the train to the Mukilteo/Clinton ferry. That would get you to Whidbey Island and the Island Transit Bus system, and to the Keystone Port Townsend ferry.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 18:56   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393
It's within easy walking distance. I ride the Sounder train from Everett to Seattle every day, and a lot of commuter people stop in Mukilteo and take the ferry to Whidbey.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I've been to two of the festivals and each had beautiful weather so best of luck!
regards,
Old 07-09-2009, 19:52   #19

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I've been to two of the festivals and each had beautiful weather so best of luck!
regards,
Yes, last year was wonderful weather. But if the weather is bad, there is plenty to do indoors.
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 19:12   #20

Boat: A Lido 14 (for now)
Just got back. The weather was too hot and sunny for me. I decided to volunteer for twelve hours, thinking I would meet local sailors. But it did not work out that way, since all my volunteer assignments consisted of standing at a gate, alone. Two of the four hour shifts were at the furthest gate from the entrance, the "service entrance." After standing in the sun for four hours straight, I just wanted to get out off the sun. But on Saturday, I decided to "tough it out." I attended a few presentations mainly about cruising in open boats. Which were, of course, out in the open sun. I had a cap with a visor, but it simply was not enough. Next year, I am bringing a hat with a large brim.

But I was able to participate in the chantey circle on both Friday and Saturday nights. And just as I was walking to buy my cat-sitter a t-shirt, I spotted a young man doing some fancy knot work on a marlinspike. He told me where he had purchased the marlin's spike(?). So for $20, I bought two spikes and received a free private lesson in knotwork, and the cordage to complete the knotwork. I chose a simple pattern of half-hitches and Turk's head knots, due to my time constraints.

And my ride decided that they wanted to leave today, just as my volunteer shift was ending. My host said I could stay another day or so, but since I hadn't checked out my return trip bus schedules, I thought I had best go with my ride.

I also bought a "how-to" book commeasurate with my woodworking skill level. It is about building a kayak with cardboard and tape!
planetluvver is offline   Reply With Quote