Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24   #121

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: Pirates operating in Southern Ocean........

"We placed a ban on killing sharks bigger than 1.2 meters in length and now the number of encounters and human deaths have increases dramatically."

I'm calling BS on that.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33   #122
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when i met the owner of the newly painted black boat with the newly added concrete in the bow to make "the ramming more effective"with their intent to ram and sink whalers--in 1991--is not a slow escalation. sorry. they started out with intent to sink boats. is not cool. i kinda agree with slowing down th e japanese custom of killing whales--but there is a right and a wrong way to go about this project. ramming with intent is not that way.
remember, i met the boat's owner in 1991. he was a proud man with his newly refit ship.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
"We placed a ban on killing sharks bigger than 1.2 meters in length and now the number of encounters and human deaths have increases dramatically."

I'm calling BS on that.
Research benefits from Australian shark attacks | Sci-Tech | DW.DE | 28.02.2013

Studies, however, have shown that there is an increase in the number of shark attacks. According to statistics kept by the Australian Shark Attack File at Taronga Zoo, the average number of shark attacks has nearly doubled in Australia in the past decade. With swimmers, surfers and divers demanding to know why the attacks are increasing and what they can do about them, scientists are now trying to find out more. And the state government has recently released several million dollars to fund shark research, following headlines trumpeting Western Australia as the shark attack capital of the world.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07   #124
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

OK, so someone help me to understand this. Sharks are arguably terminal predators, or something equally high up the food chain. As are lions and tigers and bears oh my. And of course, venomous snakes are important because they keep down the numbers of field mice carrying horrid viruses and plagues.

So, why aren't we protecting the lions and tigers and bears oh my and the snakes? Why don't we allow those other important predators to live among us, and why don't we tell people "Stay out of the Jungle! Woods! Basement! You'll bother the predators!" ??

Why do they sharks get first run at the buffet, and the rest get shut out?

And when Seawhatever go to bat for whales...If a life is a life, wouldn't they promote better karma by, saying, shutting down one chicken slaughtering plant? One cattle abbatoir? I think the whaling is beyond pointless, but who figured out that slaughtering cattle and stepping on ants is OK, and that the Bhuddists and Jains are wrong, but whales are right?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
OK, so someone help me to understand this. Sharks are arguably terminal predators, or something equally high up the food chain. As are lions and tigers and bears oh my. And of course, venomous snakes are important because they keep down the numbers of field mice carrying horrid viruses and plagues.

So, why aren't we protecting the lions and tigers and bears oh my and the snakes? Why don't we allow those other important predators to live among us, and why don't we tell people "Stay out of the Jungle! Woods! Basement! You'll bother the predators!" ??

Why do they sharks get first run at the buffet, and the rest get shut out?

And when Seawhatever go to bat for whales...If a life is a life, wouldn't they promote better karma by, saying, shutting down one chicken slaughtering plant? One cattle abbatoir? I think the whaling is beyond pointless, but who figured out that slaughtering cattle and stepping on ants is OK, and that the Bhuddists and Jains are wrong, but whales are right?
Provided your question is actually a legitimate one and you are looking for a genuine answer rather than posing the question rhetorically to simply put forward your own clearly under-informed opinion on the subject, there are organizations that do seek to protect lions and tigers and bears through a variety of means depending on what the immediate actual threat might be. Sea Shepard takes one very aggressive, visible approach but there are many, many other organizations raising awareness and taking action on the need for ethical treatment of animals or protection of endangered species and habitats. For more info on just one of these organizations doing exceptional work on a limited budget: Species | Protecting Wildlife | World Wildlife Fund
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19   #126
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Celestialsailor;1172453]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

Banning right wing Hunter owners?

Probably get better results by banning wrong wing Hunter owners!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23   #127
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

tcg, I'm not asking who else is in the selective protection business.

But why protect these, not those. Why protect there, not here.

Blow up a whaling ship? OK, you've saved a thousand whale souls. Shut down Purdue, and you've saved millions of chickens.

WWF, who as I recall are the upscaled name for the old Bronx Zoo, aren't saving any chickens, are they? Haven't banned hot dog sales from the premises, have they?

Lisa Simpson, cover your eyes.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30   #128

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
You blow up Purdue, you stop feeding millions of people as well.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35   #129
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not so, dabs. You can feed those people the same chicken feed that was going to feed the chickens, it is mainly corn, isn't it? And marigold petals, to give their chicken that nice yellow color instead of a naturally pallid white.

One of the big arguments in the "global starvation" issue is that you can feed many many more people with grain directly, if you don't waste it on feeding livestock of various sorts.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:37   #130
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

arbitrarily banning something that is a milleniums old tradition and custom is kinda self aggrandizing, isnt it?
who is banning..\who s trying to sink, arbitrarily, and went out with that said and stated intent even before 1991, first blood was of japanese sinkings years ago when rammed by sea shepherd ships... do you not wonder why the japanese consider the sea shepherd a warring entity? when their first ship was sunk they didnt have a clue as to why black ships were coming at them--they were breaking no laws---
wtf. why cant folks just let it be.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:46   #131

As we deplete the oceans of their natural food sources and pollute the oceans with more and more swimmers, surfers, etc., what's a hungry shark to do?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48   #132

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Brigands to be sure, pirates no, a pirate seeks to take your ship, defile your women and kill your men, not necessarily in that order. Anyone who has been to sea for more than 10 minutes realizes we are not the only sentient beings on this planet. A lot of us whom have spent most of our lives at sea, revere and honor the whales. Commercial whaling has been outlawed for many years, yet whales are still harvested on a commercial basis under the guise of research. If it swims like a duck, and it quacks like a duck and has the same feathers as a duck, then it is a duck. Sea Shepard has stood up for those who cannot complain in our courts. I say good on them. They at least have the guts to take action rather than dithering in courts and splitting hairs over definitions.
ARRGH! And drink all yer rum laddybuck!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
arbitrarily banning something that is a milleniums old tradition and custom is kinda self aggrandizing, isnt it?
who is banning..\who s trying to sink, arbitrarily, and went out with that said and stated intent even before 1991, first blood was of japanese sinkings years ago when rammed by sea shepherd ships... do you not wonder why the japanese consider the sea shepherd a warring entity? when their first ship was sunk they didnt have a clue as to why black ships were coming at them--they were breaking no laws---
wtf. why cant folks just let it be.
Because the whales can't defend themselves.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:01   #134

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
tcg, I'm not asking who else is in the selective protection business.

But why protect these, not those. Why protect there, not here.

Blow up a whaling ship? OK, you've saved a thousand whale souls. Shut down Purdue, and you've saved millions of chickens.

WWF, who as I recall are the upscaled name for the old Bronx Zoo, aren't saving any chickens, are they? Haven't banned hot dog sales from the premises, have they?

Lisa Simpson, cover your eyes.
Apparently only cute creatures are worth saving and sharks etc. don't qualify. If everything looked like baby seals the celebs would be falling over each other trying to get on the band wagon.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04   #135

Shark Savers Organization