Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2015, 10:03   #136

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessiocannoni View Post
....15 mm.....and the thickness of the fiberglass of the frames into the stub about 6 mm....
Those scantlings are kinda like a Beneteau hull readings ,no offense, keel stubs and the adjacent areas around the keel are very prone to massive loads and stress , is not so difficult to see around 1/1/2 inch or even 2 inch of solid glass in some keel stubs, they are by nature one of the most solid and thick part of the boat if not the first ,also I note the material used to make the beams , partitions, stringers, Divinicell????? in the keel area??
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:36   #137

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Those scantlings are kinda like a Beneteau hull readings ,no offense, keel stubs and the adjacent areas around the keel are very prone to massive loads and stress , is not so difficult to see around 1/1/2 inch or even 2 inch of solid glass in some keel stubs, they are by nature one of the most solid and thick part of the boat if not the first ,also I note the material used to make the beams , partitions, stringers, Divinicell????? in the keel area??
So it seems it is all the same. Beneteaus are built like Oysters. So why buy Oysters? buy Beneteaus instead that are a lot cheaper

I don't know if the beams, keel structure or stringers are well dimensioned but it is obvious that divinicell or some type of similar material was used to shape the beams and the composite was layered over it.

Obviously it is not the divinicel that gives strength but the layers of composite over it. However that strength has also to do with the shape of the piece and again, that's why divinicel was used to give it the better shape.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:40   #138

Nahhh, 10 mm is a bene hull , could be they make a mistake in the hull layup in the Polina Star, 15 mm in a 82 ft or 90 ft STUB is like WTF!!!!
Old 27-11-2015, 10:46   #139

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Looks like you have a spare keel... Just in case.
Damn right. And they have taken a lot of stout knocks on coral, rocks etc over the past 30,000 or so miles in the Atlantic and Pacific, and they are still on. Having a strong steel hull gives great peace of mind out in ugly weather and around hard ground and rocks. This Oyster tale (and Bene tales) make me glad I built in steel 20+ years ago. I've never regretted it. I've also had no leaks, cracks, rotting decks etc. You can get cobwebs in the bilge.

Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 10:54   #140

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Nahhh, 10 mm is a bene hull , could be they make a mistake in the hull layup in the Polina Star, 15 mm in a 82 ft or 90 ft STUB is like WTF!!!!
Yes, mine as I mentioned above is 32mm a bit away from the keel stub. At the keel, if it is a bit thicker then it may be 40mm and for a boat that is 60% the size of the Polina Star. So pro-rata it up you should have say 60mm instead of 15mm. (I know in truth it is not linear).

I still make the point though that will a well designed keel reinforcement that spreads the load to the hull stringers and ribs effectively that the skin thickness should still be adequate. I think more than one thing has gone wrong here.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 11:45   #141

Quote:
....15 mm.....and the thickness of the fiberglass of the frames into the stub about 6 mm....
Where do you get those measures? They were measured on the spot? You mean 15mm on the thickest part of the hull? From the pictures it seems to me that the boat is cored even below waterline. Are you talking about of 15mm on each side of the core?
Old 27-11-2015, 13:03   #142

So, its solid glass below the waterline?
Old 27-11-2015, 13:11   #143

15 mm is the thickness of the hull below the water line (single skin) in the broken area an it is the thickness of the stub as well......I know it seem absurd, specially knowing that it is polyester resin wet laminated by hand....honestly I'm not surprised to know that, after the accident, they secretly added layers in the bilges of the other 825......unfortunately nobody knows something about how many layers and where......
Alessiocannoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 13:17   #144

Quote:
15 mm is the thickness of the hull below the water line (single skin) in the broken area an it is the thickness of the stub as well......I know it seem absurd, specially knowing that it is polyester resin wet laminated by hand....honestly I'm not surprised to know that, after the accident, they secretly added layers in the bilges of the other 825......unfortunately nobody knows something about how many layers and where......
As far I know those Oysters hulls are vacuum infused ,, i doubt very much they are hand layup.....
Old 27-11-2015, 13:46   #145

Maybe you are right, my information about the way their subcontractor laminate the hull come from somebody who spent about 20 years in Oyster tachnical department, unfortunately we have not technical info from the shipyard technicians.....
Old 27-11-2015, 13:50   #146

Quote:
So, its solid glass below the waterline?
Solid???????if you mean single skin, yes!
Sorry, I'm not good in English; in Italian "solido" means something that's difficult to break......
Old 27-11-2015, 14:17   #147

Quote:
Solid???????i.... in Italian "solido" means something that's difficult to break......
Old 27-11-2015, 14:29   #148

Quote:
Solid???????if you mean single skin, yes!
Sorry, I'm not good in English; in Italian "solido" means something that's difficult to break......
Its a way to talk around shipyards , solid single skin or cored hull, I mean yeah single skin , difficult to break?? don't take by granted ..
Old 30-11-2015, 15:06   #149

Well this is something worth to see by yourself and judge by yourself.... I cant believe how Oyster , a reputable yacht builder can make this cascade of mistakes, this is a $$$$$$ boat build like a piece of crap... I try to convice myself that this can be just a isolated mistake from the production line but to be honest I have no idea and I hope no other Oyster 825 are build like this one, the list of offenders is huge ,,,starting for those insane criminals 15 mm of laminate thicknes around the keel and hull bottom and following with wide areas of no resin at all in the laminate, 5 mm in the keel stub partitions , cant belive that!! and a funny and long aft keel bolt.... in sum, this boat should never have left the factory ... now the question to me is if the rest of Oysters around here and there are made like this one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG4196_1000.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	114107   Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG5147_1000.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	114108  

Name:	_ADG5176_1000.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	114109   Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG5203_1000.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	114110  

Name:	_ADG5248_1000.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	114111   Click image for larger version

Name:	_ADG5258_1000.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	114112  

Name:	keel1_oyster825_02.gif
Views:	346
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	114113  
Old 30-11-2015, 15:18   #150
Eternal Member

Quote:
Well this is something worth to see by yourself and judge by yourself.... I cant believe how Oyster , a reputable yacht builder can make this cascade of mistakes, this is a $$$$$$ boat build like a piece of crap... I try to convice myself that this can be just a isolated mistake from the production line but to be honest I have no idea and I hope no other Oyster 825 are build like this one, the list of offenders is huge ,,,starting for those insane criminals 15 mm of laminate thicknes around the keel and hull bottom and following with wide areas of no resin at all in the laminate, 5 mm in the keel stub partitions , cant belive that!! and a funny and long aft keel bolt.... in sum, this boat should never have left the factory ... now the question to me is if the rest of Oysters around here and there are made like this one.....
In some earlier posts, I've seen some references made to "Russia"... Now, I see the diagram posted appears to be in Russian...

Was this work actually done in Russia, or farmed out to a Russian subcontractor?
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster