Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2015, 10:52   #31

Boat: 1975 morgan outisland 33'
Re: Options other than Panama Canal

Would if I had the time. But as you know sailboat with a schedule is not a good idea. As far as both my boat and the one I am looking at both can handle it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
kennyarmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 11:25   #32
Marine Service Provider

45' sloop, Galveston to San Diego by flatbed about $15,000.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 11:28   #33

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
When we were in RAM Marina in the Rio Dulce in 2014, there was a boat hauled there, prepped and put on a truck for delivery to the Pacific. I don't know exactly where in the Pacific, but was told that this was a regular thing for that boat owner for several years - trucking back and forth from the Pacific to the Rio as the owner's whims changed his cruising grounds.

Mark
Carlos the welder used to transport boats between the Rio & Pacific. No idea what he charges or size resteictions. His number may be on the RioDulceChisme if anyone is seriously interested.

He has done a lot of work for Triumphant so he may have contact info too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 11:37   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Have you looked at a map? The lake Nicaragua rumored route would be the only possibility.
I went fishing on the Rio San Juan recently (big ass Tarpon there) and that route seems unlikely for a sailboat. Small power boats do run it, but there are rapids to content with...and a new bridge...vertical clearance looked 40' or less to me.

Also, no where Ive ever seen on the West side of Lake Nica to haul a sailboat out on to a truck.
Old 18-10-2015, 11:41   #35

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Carlos the welder used to transport boats between the Rio & Pacific. No idea what he charges or size resteictions. His number may be on the RioDulceChisme if anyone is seriously interested.

I hope his truck is in better mechanical condition than it appears!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 11:41   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Ah, Triumphant already posted back on #25.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1940184
Old 18-10-2015, 13:32   #37

I've heard rumors all year about truck transport across the Isthmus of Mexico from the Bay of Campeche to the Golfo de Tehuantepec. I am hoping to set up transport (east to west) for late February, 2016 and have been trying mightily to locate a transport company.
All leads trickle down to one company based in Guadalajara, Mexico. Here's the link: Takata Transport
Quote for the 120km & 3d transport for a 40' monohull 12.9' beam is $8900 USD not including pilot cars ($600), haul out & re-launch & insurance.
Maybe the PC is looking more attractive?
mikohottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 16:43   #38

Boat: Morgan 382

Yeh, Carlos is the man. He's done a lot of weldi9ng for me over the past 10 years, but not hauling my boat. He has a unique way to remove the mast. Pulls the boat along side the bridge over the river here at Fronteras and positions people up on the bridge to pull the mast. No crane involved. I've never heard of him having a problem on hauling the boats. Although looking at the tires on his trailer can cause goosebumps.
MHW382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 16:52   #39

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW382 View Post
Yeh, Carlos is the man. Although looking at the tires on his trailer can cause goosebumps.

Think about all the tire shops along the road to Guatemala City. I don't think any of them sell new tires, just old worn tires. He can always get another.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 17:25   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikohottie View Post
I've heard rumors all year about truck transport across the Isthmus of Mexico from the Bay of Campeche to the Golfo de Tehuantepec. I am hoping to set up transport (east to west) for late February, 2016 and have been trying mightily to locate a transport company.
All leads trickle down to one company based in Guadalajara, Mexico. Here's the link: Takata Transport
Quote for the 120km & 3d transport for a 40' monohull 12.9' beam is $8900 USD not including pilot cars ($600), haul out & re-launch & insurance.
Maybe the PC is looking more attractive?
Wow, be interesting to get a quote from Carlos as a comparison. Its a much longer haul across Guatemala.
Old 19-10-2015, 06:16   #41

Boat: Piver tri Serena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagivator View Post
For the whole story, go to Rio Dulce Chisma Net dot Com and search for Man Who Moves Boats Over Mountains.
Corrections: go to riodulcechisme.com - Home

and to search that site, the story about Carlos Morales is called The Man Who Takes Boats Over Mountains.

I hope that helps. I don't know if Carlos the still does this as a side line to his regular job or not.
Nagivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 08:45   #42

Boat: Piver tri Serena

riodulcechisme.com - Man who takes boats over mountains
Here's the link spelled correctly (sorry) for the Rio Dulce Chisme online network, with the story about Carlos who trucks boats across Guatemala from Rio Dulce to the Pacific or vice versa.
Nagivator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal