Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 11:22   #181
ice

Re: Nilaya / Berserk Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
that can't even place a single representative in Antartica to collect the fee, is beyond absurd!

Why Don't I claim jurisdiction over Antartica, and decide you also need to send me money for MY permission to go there?
Well, you might want to get your facts straight to start. I don't know specifically about Norway, but generally there is no fee to file for a permit to visit Antarctica. and specific permit form

Jarle's expedition last year did in point of fact require a government search & rescue effort and he did in point of fact require a government air-evac from Antarctica to NZ. So, he has ALREADY used expensive government resources in Antarctica, you cannot with a straight face argue that it is absurd for those governments to desire to see some evidence that he has properly planned his voyage.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 13-02-2012, 12:55   #182

Seems they change the story on Busby from day to day, because now he doesn't want to be there again:

Kiwi stowaway claims he fell asleep
Quote:
A Kiwi stowaway claims he never wanted to join an unauthorised trip to Antarctica but fell asleep on the vessel.
(...)
"I didn't want to be on the trip, I didn't want to be in these conditions. I don't see how anybody else would want to either," said Busby.
There's a gale warning for McMurdo Sound on Saturday.
Old 15-02-2012, 01:16   #183

A note from Gareth on Jarle Andhoy

Strong opinions from Gareth Morgan.
"-Lets hope he sinks"
ShipHappens is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 15-02-2012, 01:23   #184

Just a few days ago Gareth Morgan told NZ media that he thought Andhøy had as much right as anyone to be there, and he wouldn't turn him in if he came across him. I guess he had a change of heart after looking into who Andhøy actually is.

Morgan's saying he wouldn't rescue Andhøy, but I suspect if the ice hits the mast, he'll do it anyway.

The weather forecast for this weekend looks less severe now - just a breeze instead of a gale.
Old 17-02-2012, 14:12   #185
ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWWAL View Post
Here is a photo of the ice right now. . . .
So, no news? I would have thought someone would have spotted him by now, unless he was turned away by the ice.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-02-2012, 16:55   #186

Boat: too many

First, I need to admit to only reading the first 5 pages of this thread, but as time permits, I'll get through all of it.

The only comment I'd like to throw into the mix is on the subject of "respect for laws" positions a number of folks are taking on this thread. I'm guilty of not respecting all laws, as I routinely break a few on a regular basis. To me, laws lose credibility when a herb such as pot is illegal. The ONLY reason for this was a capitalist named William Randolph Hearst, who was heavily invested in pulp mills, did not want to compete with a superior product that hemp was, so he used his own media empire for a little dose of yellow journalism, and the rest is history.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 17-02-2012, 22:36   #187

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
So, no news? I would have thought someone would have spotted him by now, unless he was turned away by the ice.
No Jarle as of yet. The wind has been blowing from the south and the open water area is getting larger. I have seen tens of Minkes and Orcas
NAWWAL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 19-02-2012, 07:25   #188

They were landed on Franklin island 4 days ago. Today - a few miles from McMurdo, near the Cape Bird.
Alexey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-02-2012, 14:45   #189

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

Norwegians miffed at missing gear - Yahoo! New Zealand News
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 20-02-2012, 14:47   #190

Andhøy is angry that his quad bikes and other gear were sent back to New Zealand. The fuel and food he left behind is still being held at Scott Base though. I guess this explains the disparity between reports that Scott Base were holding gear, and that that it had been sent back. (Earlier reports said that Scott Base had collected their stuff, but that they would let Andhøy access it. So that meant his food and fuel is still available to him, but not the quads or other gear.)

Norwegians miffed at missing gear

Andhøy is also angry that the people at Scott Base collected the stuff left on the ice:
Jarle Andhoy | Scott Base holding Viking equipment... | Stuff.co.nz
What's new here is that they didn't just collect the gear of Andhøy and Massie's drive to the pole, but also some of that left behind by the Berserk, if I understand correctly.
Old 20-02-2012, 15:34   #191

Could it be that the people at Scott Base (NZ) didn't collect the seaside depots, but that the people at McMurdo Station (US) did?
Old 20-02-2012, 23:52   #192

Boat: none

Nilaya showed up Monday afternoon local time. I saw the boat heading south, about two miles north of McMurdo. It turned around and headed north as I watched. The boat is no longer in sight from town
NAWWAL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-02-2012, 00:11   #193

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, NAWWAL. Thanks for confirming an actual siting of Nilaya. I suppose life in "town" down there is a little different to my typcial vision of a town! All the best. Have a good winter if you're staying. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-02-2012, 11:14   #194

Both the McMurdo and Scott staff say they haven't touched Berserk's sea-side depots. Iain Miller from Scott Base says that they only sent Andhøy and Massie's gear, as previously reported, that the food and fuel from Massie and Andhøy is at Scott Base, and that nobody has reported seeing the Berserk depots. That seems to indicate that Berserk may have collected the depots, or that they drifted away with the ice or something?

http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/verden/1.8005418

Andhøy is also saying to NRK that it might be too late to get out of the ice now, and that the Nilaya may have to stay down there through the winter.

I wonder what was going on aboard the Berserk. Andhøy is hinting about conspiracy theories for why the Berserk went down.

PS: The fuel drum seen by the Nilaya earlier, was not from the Berserk.
Old 22-02-2012, 13:34   #195

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

Norwegian explorer Jarle Andhoey still blaming NZ... | Stuff.co.nz
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply