Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2010, 22:39   #841

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
And that wasn't set up for TV? I forgot if its on TV it must be true.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 18-05-2010, 22:54   #842

Boat: PETERSON 44
both heathens
Old 19-05-2010, 03:49   #843

Boat: Sabre 28 Mk1 "Shaba"
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Absolute garbage! Were you on Pink Lady? No.

I know Jesse Martin, and he is very fond of Jessica, he seems to care less about his record than you do. I was there when Jessica said she was going to smash his record and it was said in jest, to Jesse's face. You know as a joke!!!

God how much longer are you guys going to re live her incredible journey on your keyboards? She has done it its over.
Good point Glenn,

The lesson that Jessica has so brilliantly transmitted is to live your dream. We should all be out sailing, working on our boats, planning a voyage, or on a voyage instead of rehashing this in cyberspace.

Richard
Old 19-05-2010, 05:42   #844
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:

God how much longer are you guys going to re live her incredible journey on your keyboards? She has done it its over.
While I agree with the point you are making, JW's voyage won't be over for a long time yet - at least not for me.
Hell, I still remember Jon Sander's multiple circumnavigations to say nothing of Kay Cottee's trip; I remain impressed with all of them and I hope Jessica's achievements stays alive for a long time yet.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-05-2010, 05:54   #845
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... God how much longer are you guys going to re live her incredible journey on your keyboards? She has done it its over.
We’ll be endlessly enthralled with everything Jessica, if Andrew Fraser continues doing his job.

Old 19-05-2010, 08:52   #846

The man that "provided" the wind generators simply comes off as looney. Sven used the adjective "strange" a page or two back in writing about his statements, and he got that spot on. To this American, there is nothing more to say about that guy. If he is some recognized person in AU, then I'm missing it. That he was the first owner of the hull that became Pink Lady is not relavant here, unless taken as a human interest tale, which is fine and good. In reading it, it feels like it is presented as some sort of credential to give weight to his statements, and it fails if that was the goal.

All who have followed this adventure know well, because it's fully documented in public literature, that the boat was donated for JW's use by Don and Margie McIntyre. Heaven forbid that I recognize the tv program 60 Minutes as a source of accurate information, as it is rarely that, but it does have one of many examples of the story of how Jessica got the use of her boat. In an interview on the JW voyage, done by the AU version of the program, we find this quote:
"So convinced is Don McIntyre of Jessica's abilities that he purchased, refitted and loaned her the 'Pink Lady'. And today, it's time to hand over the last of the paperwork to officially put the 16 year old in charge."

~
Old 19-05-2010, 10:24   #847
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thread is one of the longer ones to ever run at Cruisers Forum. It is filled with a lot of interesting, insightful posts.

Lately, however, it has veered into a lot of nasty back-and-forth that detracts from what this website is all about. We diminish ourselves when we become emotional about a subject, then post without thinking clearly about the effect of the words we've chosen.

For those who are strong advocates of Jessica Watson and her remarkable achievement, please do not disparage those who disagree - that is a violation of the CF Rules and will not be tolerated.

For those who have doubts about Jessica's voyage, the advisability of having undertaken it, the way others have joined Team Jessica in the interest of furthering her future endeavors, please do not disparage those who support the enterprise.

If those who post to this thread continue to flaunt the Cruisers Forum Rules and undermine the cordial atmosphere that we try so hard to maintain, the thread will simply be closed. That would be a shame.

TaoJones
Old 19-05-2010, 13:30   #848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
The man that "provided" the wind generators simply comes off as looney. Sven used the adjective "strange" a page or two back in writing about his statements, and he got that spot on.
<snip>
~
I am still confused about the reports

Here PWT - News & Views is his website page on Jessica. There seems no disgruntlement there

Quote:
We would like to wish Jessica Watson safe voyage in her attempt to be the youngest person to sail around the world non stop and single handed. As with anything like this, much of the battle is won with meticulous preparation prior to departure - and I know there has been much of this in the Jessica Watson camp.
<snip>
Good luck Jessica, we'll be thinking of you all the way.
Old 19-05-2010, 13:30   #849
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Good one Tao... lol
Lets start two new threads...
1/ Jessica Rocks...
2/ Jessica Sucks...
Then everyones happily one upping in their Speciality Subject.....

Oppsss.. Was that against the rules.... Sorry

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-05-2010, 13:52   #850

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
1/ Jessica Rocks...
2/ Jessica Sucks...
You just pinned the tail on the donkey !

That is a false choice. There should be room for reasoned and intelligent discussion other than the infamous "You are for us or you are against us".

-Sven
Old 19-05-2010, 13:57   #851

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Good one Tao... lol
1/ Jessica Rocks...
2/ Jessica Sucks...
We weren't allowed to have #2...
Old 19-05-2010, 14:08   #852
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
I am still confused about the reports

Here PWT - News & Views is his website page on Jessica. There seems no disgruntlement there
He was very obviously put off by the extra few days that were added to Jessica's voyage so that her sail into Sydney harbor could be better stage-managed. It was unseamanlike, he felt, to delay the return simply for the sake of a grand entrance and all the accompanying media attention.

Having read his website, he strikes me as someone who would never understand, let alone make allowances for, the wishes of those who provided sponsorship. I think it's very amusing that the network that held the "exclusive" on Jessica, along with the assembled dignitaries, were kept waiting for about three hours past the intended arrival time.

Similarly, the item of stagecraft that saw Mike Perham and Jesse Martin deposited on Jessica's vessel to bring it the last little distance to the Opera House was amusing to me. Slomo nailed it, above, when he stated that it was a demonstration that the two were, literally, "on board" with her quest. I can well imagine the production meetings between Andrew Fraser / Oceans 5 and Ten Network as they wrestled with the issue of how to put the two young men on her boat to conduct the first interviews with Jessica, when no one could board the vessel until it cleared customs.

I wonder how hard it was to talk customs into performing the formalities out on the water after she had successfully cleared the Heads. Once that little problem was finessed, they could proceed with the placement of Martin and Perham aboard.

I couldn't help feeling that the awkwardness of the two as they attempted to interview Jessica was annoying to her and that she would just as soon have brought Pink Lady to the dock herself. I agree that she was much less comfortable with Martin than Perham, but young Perham may have been the most uncomfortable of all and couldn't think of anything to say - even with the producers and shoreside hosts prompting him with questions through his IFB.

It seemed that all he could think to do was to keep saying "Brilliant!"

Truly, Jessica was the star of the whole extravaganza, as well as the calmest and coolest person in attendance. She's got a very bright future (not married to Mike Perham, I'd wager) and will go far. Once she realizes she doesn't really have to put up with all the leaches who will try to attach themselves to her, she will be formidable.

I hope that happens.

TaoJones
Old 19-05-2010, 15:10   #853

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
TaoJones,
Please reread your post #847.
Old 19-05-2010, 16:03   #854

Hello, I would like to say that Jessica Watson has inspired me alot. I hope that I can learn to sail a large boat like the "Pink Lady". I hope my folks can buy a boat one day. I sailed on a Hobie last summer and it was super. I then heard about Jessica and followed her whole trip from day one. I am also following Abby Sunderland. I really want to get to be a sailor I think its is the best.
Tllee
Old 19-05-2010, 16:30   #855
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Good one Tao... lol
1/ Jessica Rocks...
2/ Jessica Sucks...
It was never about 'Jessica Sucks'

Ever.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world