Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2009, 20:46   #151

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
When she rounds the equator and heads south, well, thats when the rubber meets the road.

She is alone out there, even if she is in communication with shore she is still singlehanding in the truest of senses. Blimey, do I have to pep talk the go Jessica folks?

It is unusual for a non-racing sailor to have a "team" therefore we automatically add a quotation to it. I don't think it bespeaks disrespect, but I can be a bit thick sometimes. I do think a "team" is a good idea for this kind of trip, I for one am glad they are there for her.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 17-11-2009, 20:58   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I take your point, paradix, but nothing derogatory was intended in my use of the quotation marks around the word "team." Rather, I did so because, while I have seen references to her "team" in print previously, I have no knowledge if it refers to one person on shore, or ten, or a hundred. I did come away with the impression, however, that there is some sort of organized effort supporting her voyage from within Australia, and I don't just mean those with a rooting interest in her endeavor.

In fact, it would be wonderful if you would inform the readers of this Forum as to your understanding of who the persons are who comprise Team Ella's Pink Lady. In addition to her parents and her weather router, there are undoubtedly others who deal with certain specific aspects of the myriad details in support of her effort. You would seem to be the right person, in the right place, to flesh that out, paradix.

Or if, in fact, there is no "team," as such - just a loose confederation of interested parties who are providing some form of support when, and as, they can - that would be interesting to know, as well.

I hope this explanation clears up any misunderstanding for you, paradix. No derogatory sub-text was either intended, or to be inferred, in my use of quotation marks around "team." Who knew that four little dashes carried such power?

TaoJones
Jessica has introduced members of her shore team at length in her blogs. For example:

Jessicawatson.com.au: One Week Down and the Shore Crew

I'm not sure you can put a specific boundary around where a team starts and ends - I would count everyone who has put some of their personal time and energy into assisting Jessica with her endeavours, and that stretches back several years and encompasses literally hundreds of people, many if not most of whom are still on hand if not actually regularly involved.

If people see that as diminishing her voyage because she's not doing it all alone, then so be it. Personally I think it is a testament to her skill, commitment, maturity and positive approach that she has been able to actively assemble such an enthusiastic and able group of people around her.
Old 17-11-2009, 21:03   #153

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
As I understand it, her blogs are sent to her land-based support team who tidy and post them from shore
That explains it ! Too bad it isn't made clear anywhere "official" as it would lend credibility to her accomplishments. "Officially" we are left to believe that she is writing what we see on her blog. Since her mother explained that Jessica's dyslexia is so severe that she couldn't spell her name or learn the alphabet when she started school, the natural conclusion was that her blog is actually completely ghost-written.

Once again, her handlers are doing her a disservice by not being forthright and honest. The last month has shown that Jessica is indeed up to the task of solo sailing under at least cruising conditions. That is more than I would have given her credit for after "the incident", mostly because the spin machine destroyed her credibility.

I hope she'll surprise us again and that the "team" will stay out of the way so she can shine on her own, real merits.

-Sven
Old 17-11-2009, 21:05   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
That explains it ! Too bad it isn't made clear anywhere "official" as it would lend credibility to her accomplishments.
-Sven
Actually she states it plainly in her blog on the link above.
Old 17-11-2009, 21:26   #155

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Actually she states it plainly in her blog on the link above.
Absolutely not.

"Andrew looks after the blog, sponsors and other news updates." ? It is the only mention of the blog and says nothing at all about him writing or re-writing what is supposed to be her material.

Were you referring to some other "link above" ?

-Sven
Old 17-11-2009, 21:28   #156

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
So there you have it ...whatever you read...Its all Mum's fault.

I still cant believe all the nit picking still going on over this poor kids adventure...give it a rest already

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 17-11-2009, 21:44   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
"Officially" we are left to believe that she is writing what we see on her blog. Since her mother explained that Jessica's dyslexia is so severe that she couldn't spell her name or learn the alphabet when she started school, the natural conclusion was that her blog is actually completely ghost-written.
That's very disappointing.

Pretty regularly I notice some pretty glaring spelling, usage or punctutation errors in her blogs. But it's a rare 16-year old whose writing skills are perfected, so I accepted it as part of reading a teen's journal.

Is it a definite fact that her parents are the ones actually writing the blog entries?
Old 17-11-2009, 21:58   #158

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
No...As she stated...She emails her mom...And her mom pretty much probably sends it on the the Blog guy.

I'm sure they edit it a bit... but prints what she feels Jess needs to or is trying to communicate without giving away to much information to maintain her safety as best they can...fixing some spelling errors or not..who knows ..I'm just guessing this last part.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 17-11-2009, 22:59   #159
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Team.....

Well now that we have team solved, please count me as part of her team...OK just a very very small part 'cause I have never meet her, probably never will and don't know any other team members but as my support for her grows, I like to think I am a distant small team member...(but I may be removed from DOJ's Team Goat for disloyalty )

Quote:
......Unless asking Mum where the cheese is stowed counts.
Asking Mum is ALWAYS serious

Quote:
....... in my use of quotation marks around "team." Who knew that four little dashes carried such power?

TaoJones
I am surprised that you (of all people TaoJ), don't know that the pen is mightier than the sword
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 17-11-2009, 23:14   #160
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I am surprised that you (of all people TaoJ), don't know that the pen is mightier than the sword
Heh . . . I'll try to remember that, Worname.

TaoJones
Old 17-11-2009, 23:21   #161
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Well, there is no "Kiribati island." Kiribati, the shortened version of The Republic of Kiribati, is actually a country, and it is composed of several islands. It now appears that she is intending to round Kiritimati before heading for Cape Horn.

In the local dialect there, "ti" carries the English "s" sound - thus, Kiribati is pronounced KEER ih bahs, and is the local pronunciation for "Gilberts." Kiribati is actualy an amalgamation of islands that formerly were parts of the Gilbert, Phoenix and Line Islands, with the Line Island group representing the eastern extremity of the nation.

Kiritimati, the major island in the former Line Islands, is the apparent rounding point for Ms. Watson. It is pronounced KEER is mahs - say it out loud, slowly, and you will discover that it is the Gilbertese way of saying Christmas.
I live there for a year and the people are a fantastic bunch. Mind you one step past Kiribati and you do fall off the edge of the world. She's not what you would call 21st Centruy, even 19th would be a struggle.

They only have 13 letters in their alphabet and own more of the Pacific Ocean than any other country. Main exports are coconuts and cheap labour to German shipping companies.

OK my take on this 'solo' thing. She is in the boat by herself so is sailing solo. If it all goes bad she will have to sort it all out by herself. As much as any non-quote marked Team is helping she is out there by herself.

Sure she is getting input from off the boat but how many cruisers here say "I'm just checking my weather" when in fact they are looking at info that was done by someone else and weather faxed/emails/whatever abroad.

Peter Blake won the Whitbread Race. Yes he did but along with a dozen or so others aboard and a shore team. Ellen McArther took the Around the World title but had assistance from off the boat. There are next to no boats plying the waters who are doing it 'solo' as in by themselves with no outside input. Yes there is a few but they are a tiny minority, very tiny. None of those seemed to have attracted so much 'discussion'.

In my books, if her boat sinks and I hope like hell it doesn't but if it did, it would be her arse and her arse only that goes down with it. That to me is 'solo'.

Bob McDavit, what a legend. Shortish, plumbish with a full on Santa almost white beard who is so passionate about weather it's scary. If you want a good laugh ask him about Global Warming and he's off like a rapid dog who just had a pile of Energiser batteries jambed up it's bum. Bloody funny. But a man who knows his stuff, that is for sure.
Old 17-11-2009, 23:38   #162

The real truth is that her "support team" is actually based in the US in Area 51. They are using captured alien technology to beam a hard light hologram on to her boat to give her crew assistance, accept as the crew are still physically in Area 51 and not on her boat, the record attempt stands as no one ever thought to cover this possibility in the rules.

Some of you guys are never happy with anything she does. Are you afraid because she is just a "sweet 16" who is doing something that many of you wouldn't have the balls to do?
Old 17-11-2009, 23:58   #163
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The real truth is that her "support team" is actually based in the US in Area 51. They are using captured alien technology to beam a hard light hologram on to her boat to give her crew assistance, accept as the crew are still physically in Area 51 and not on her boat, the record attempt stands as no one ever thought to cover this possibility in the rules.
Oh dear.. you were supposed to keep that a secret. The Big Giant Head did leased (saying it was captured was just a Military talk-up to get more funding) Earth the technology under that understanding. I hear the BGH is nervous that it would leak into the hands of the Klingons or even worse, could you imagine what the Destructicons could do with stuff like this. Megatron would have a field day and there would be bugger all Optimus Prime and his 'Team' could do about it.

You're in big trouble now Hoppy. Quick, wrap your head in tinfoil so they can't track you. Better still go find Megan Fox, she might not be able to help defend you but she's always a good watch
Old 18-11-2009, 00:30   #164

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
Soooo, just what is a solo sailor?

Last time I read anything about the solo global racers, they all got fax'es from the headquarters with weather updates. They all listened in on the met reports, and in the spirit of all who go to sea, they spoke to each other about weather and sea state conditions. Yet nobody challenges whether they are solo or assisted. Does it really matter if Mum does a little editing to the writeup, I think not. That young lady is still out there by herself making the sail selections, tweaking the sail, making good a desired course, cooking, cleaning, caring for her boat, quite frankly I think that great. Currently, I'm reading Lisa Clayton's book "AT THE MERCY OF THE SEA". She received honors for being the first woman to make the solo...non-stop...unassisted circumnavigation. So should we take that away, Lisa often contacted her team for advice on repairs, she received weather fax'es, spoke with other yachts at sea, but when it came down to who was in charge of the boat, it was her and her alone. She put the hook down off South Africa to make repairs and speak with friends face to face yet she was still honored as a non-stop voyage. I don't see putting the hook down for a bit as being any different then throwing out the sea anchor to park the boat for a period of time. As long as she remains the solo occupant, then it's a solo passage.

As I read many of the comment, I see a bunch of jelous old guys who actually hope that she fails so as to keep their male pride in place.

Personally, I think what she is doing is fantastic. When we look at how many 16 year olds are in prison for murder and drug offenses then what she is doing is way above average. Imagine being 16 and pulling this adventure together. Even if she had help by the truck load, her involvment at any level at the age of 16 is truly noteable.

My recommendation is to sit back and watch, her baptism by storm is not that far off. I suspect she will do just fine. Which is not to say that she won't have her fair share of drama, but I think she'll handle it in stride.
Old 18-11-2009, 00:53   #165

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 Marine View Post
Soooo, just what is a solo sailor?

As I read many of the comment, I see a bunch of jelous old guys who actually hope that she fails so as to keep their male pride in place.

Personally, I think what she is doing is fantastic.
Totally agree, I've been saying this from the beginning, and this old guy admits that I have not the balls to do what Jessica is doing.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world