Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 18:53   #91

I really like reading JW's blog entries about her food. That must have been a monumental task choosing, shopping for and storing 230 days worth of provisions.

Smart idea packing it into 2-week bags, I thought, though it will still take a lot of self-discipline not to eat ALL the good stuff first and end up miserable for the last few days...
Old 01-11-2009, 18:57   #92
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

GeoPowers, you are correct, sir!

I remember reading that when you posted it GeoPowers, and thinking it was just what the thread needed to create a lighter atmosphere. I had also just read Ms. Watson's blog, so I knew about the squid that had established a beachhead on her vessel during the night.

I think your post was just an innocent bystander, unwittingly swept up in a dragnet meant to clean the thread up and get it back on track. It happens. Please accept our apologies, and note that your calamari post has been restored to its rightful position of prominence in this thread (though I'll never forgive you for quoting my post and setting in stone my error ["...infiltrated this trade..."] for eternity.

TaoJones
Old 01-11-2009, 19:00   #93
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark View Post
I really like reading JW's blog entries about her food. That must have been a monumental task choosing, shopping for and storing 230 days worth of provisions.

Smart idea packing it into 2-week bags, I thought, though it will still take a lot of self-discipline not to eat ALL the good stuff first and end up miserable for the last few days...
I agree with you, Bark. I think that it's starting to become clearer with each passing day that her voyage was extremely well-planned. Hopefully, it will be equally well-executed.

TaoJones
Old 01-11-2009, 19:01   #94

Boat: none(fornow)
I was reading some of her older posts as well and was kind of curious about food for an 8 month trip, being that she can't take on supplies, that would seem to limit her choices quite a bit. Seems that she won't have fresh anything. Except and occasional fish dinner. I wonder about proper nutrition on a trip such as hers.
Old 01-11-2009, 19:05   #95

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
If anybody wants to know where she is - - a poster from the previous thread very kindly put up this url: http://www.examiner.com/x-23258-Gran...cat#breadcrumb
- - Concisely in two paragraphs it tells you where she, hows she doing and includes a map and video link to her webcam reports on her life on board.
- - By the way she is 200 nm southwest of Fiji as of All-Hallows-Eve.
Old 01-11-2009, 19:06   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
I wonder about proper nutrition on a trip such as hers.
She will probably crave fresh fruits and veggies, but no doubt has vitamins and other supplements to compensate. After all, plenty of other sailors, in particular the Vendee Globe folks, have figured this out long ago.
Old 01-11-2009, 19:13   #97
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If anybody wants to know where she is - - a poster from the previous thread very kindly put up this url: http://www.examiner.com/x-23258-Grand-Rapids-Sailing-Examiner~topic409640-Jessica-Watson-Solo-Circumnavigation?selstate=topcat#breadcrumb
- - Concisely in two paragraphs it tells you where she, hows she doing and includes a map and video link to her webcam reports on her life on board.
- - By the way she is 200 nm southwest of Fiji as of All-Hallows-Eve.
That's Cruisers Forum member CaptainMurph, osirissail. He has done a great job of writing about her voyage and updating her progress as he gets the information. I don't believe he has a direct line into her team's HQ, but he's done an excellent job working with the information he has managed to dig up.

I think his maps are a nice addition, and they graphically indicate her approximate location. It's close enough for me.

TaoJones
Old 01-11-2009, 19:47   #98

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I like this part.

"..sleeping in my harness, lifejacket and overalls, with a knife in my pocket and a headlight about my neck. It might sound a little un-comfortable but I get my best sleep knowing that I can be in the cockpit clipped on and in the cockpit in less than a few seconds.

Very common sence thinking.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 01-11-2009, 20:23   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
I'm curious if she tried frying up that squid that landed all over her deck!

Mmmmm calamari!
I'm not sure about the shelf life of squid out of water - apparently they arrived during the hours of darkness so they might have been on deck a few hours before being noticed by Jessica. It's coming into summer down in this part of the world and pretty warm up where she is, so I'm guessing you'd want to get those babies onto ice (or into the pan) within a few minutes of catching/finding them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
I was reading some of her older posts as well and was kind of curious about food for an 8 month trip, being that she can't take on supplies, that would seem to limit her choices quite a bit. Seems that she won't have fresh anything. Except and occasional fish dinner. I wonder about proper nutrition on a trip such as hers.
Jessica and her mother had assistance from a sports nutritionist in planning her food for the voyage. They will have taken into account general nutrional guidelines as well as the specific issues relating to her unusual sleep patterns and the probablility that she will have days of generally low physical activity combined with days where she will have the need for periods of much higher energy output. Plus of course the wildly varying climates she will be passing through. I wouldn't mind getting hold of one of those southern ocean bags she has on board! There's more information about the specific meals she's carrying - which are mostly vacuum bagged rather than freeze dried - if you look back through her historical blog posts.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:09   #100

Boat: C&C 121 40ft - Seeker
Hello all,, to answer a few questions about where exactly where she is !!! Please not to worry she is being "observed" (followed) by one of the most impressive tracking devices known to man..

Srry just had to lighten things up...
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2009, 07:36   #101

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Good one...Funny..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:24   #102

^^ ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Beats the current tilt of conversation/insults.

My guess 25 deg 10' 174 deg 15' E If this is anywhere near right she would hitched up to the upper edge of a system with good down wind sailing. should be able to keep clocking off some miles.
Close, but no cigar . She passed Minerva Reefs yesterday (around 23deg 50'S 179deg7'W.)

So she's in the Western Hemisphere already, and I'm guessing she's over the Tropic of Capricorn by now too.

Take good care of her while she's over there!
Old 02-11-2009, 12:52   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
That's Cruisers Forum member CaptainMurph, osirissail. He has done a great job of writing about her voyage and updating her progress as he gets the information. I don't believe he has a direct line into her team's HQ, but he's done an excellent job working with the information he has managed to dig up.

I think his maps are a nice addition, and they graphically indicate her approximate location. It's close enough for me.

TaoJones
Thanks, you have it right. In fact, I made direct mention of not having any special information but know that lots of folks worldwide are interested in knowing how she's doing.

For example, I've made the assumption that she is swinging to the East of Fiji - knowing all along that she had to go East or West. When she reported being near Minerva Reefs, it wasn't too hard to deduce.

Here's today's article.

Murph'
Old 02-11-2009, 13:00   #104

Boat: none(fornow)
Yeap when I read her log entry this morning I was able to come pretty close to where she was as well. I really didn't realize how much nothing there was on her route in the south pacific.
Old 02-11-2009, 14:12   #105

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
These recent post are exactly what I thought this thread was to be about. They have allowed each of us to vicariously join this young lady on her adventure. They have provided us the opportunity to use our own judgements to estimate where she is and what her next decision might be. Fantastic.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world