Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 02:24   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
... I say this forum should support her effort and wish her well.
kindest regards John
It may be in wishing her well, that some question the wisdom of this trip, at this time (in her life).

I’m certain that every one of us supports Jessica (& the troops), whist some may disapprove of the endeavour (mission). The two are in no way incompatible.

Stay well & safe, Jessica.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:18   #77

Boat: none(fornow)
As I haven't really checked in here much lately, I had almost forgotten about Jessica and her voyage. I was just reading some of here blog post and I think she has already done a lot of things in her short life, more than most will do in a lifetime.

She has a pretty lofty goal, but I wish her well.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:21   #78

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
It sounds like Jessica has good communications set up. I think that should help her with the psychological hardship of singlehanding. When I am alone on the boat (one week is my longest), if I talk to someone everyday to get weather or traffic it helps.

As far as tracking her, I would not want my position to be posted. So I hope they post with a 24 to 48 hour delay, or better yet, not at all.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 01-11-2009, 11:22   #79

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
Ocean Girl has an extremely relevant thought here. In todays hostil ocean environs giving your position to all is tantamount to smelling the Thanksgiving turkey in the oven and knowing that it will soon be served. There is not a person amongst us that really have a need to know exactly where she is.

Our support or should you disagree silence should be enough.

Glen

usm-c.com
Old 01-11-2009, 12:25   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Agreement or silence - where have I heard that (or similar) sentiment before?

Old 01-11-2009, 13:00   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I think it is highly ironic that the purpose of this thread is to follow Jessica's progress, yet we really don't know where she is- or really should we know, as her safety is more important than the whims of a few old barnacles. (Ocean girl and a few others excepted)
I will be happy when she completes the southern ocean safely, whenever that is...
Until then we will have to be content with her impressions of the food
Old 01-11-2009, 13:59   #82

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
At the risk of being banned - This thread is being hijacked by the "do-gooders / Jessica Succeed" cabal. The #1 post stated:
>>>>This thread has been created to discuss the sailing aspects of Jessica's journey. There is nothing more to be said about whether she should or should not be out there. The fact is that she is out there.<<<<<
- - I don't know which posts have been removed by Hud3 posted: >>> I've just deleted a bunch of off topic posts in this thread. I normally would PM each poster to let them know, but frankly there were just too many of them.<<< The question is: what about the "Jessica SUCCEED" posts that attack the skeptics that are not being also removed. They are just as much "off topic" as laid out in the #1 post as the one's deleted. (excepting profanity and outright peronsal attacks which on either side obviously should be removed). If you scan the remaining posts it appears that only "Jessica Succeed" posts are being allowed to remain even when they contain personal attacks on another poster. The remaining posts are rife with stuff off the topic of "sailing aspects."
- - So let's be fair - Moderators - If you say or set limits they should apply to both "camps."
Old 01-11-2009, 15:49   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - I don't know which posts have been removed
The deleted posts were all related to a person who was behaving like a pedophile toward JW, and then posts which were a reaction to that. I agree totally with the whole unsavory mess being deleted.
Old 01-11-2009, 15:57   #84
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

osirissail, you are jumping to a completely unwarranted conclusion. All of the posts that were deleted were either those of a troll who had infiltrated this thread, or those who were responding to him - either suggesting that he beat it or that the moderators remove him. Once he was dealt with, none of that needed to remain in the thread.

This thread is neither pro nor anti Jessica Watson, it is merely a place to post one's thoughts which deal with the sailing aspects of her voyage. There will undoubtedly be other attempts to hijack the thread and drive it off-topic, and we will deal with those, as well.

The posts that were removed from the thread were actually left up for many hours so that readers could see for themselves just what a determined troll can do to a thread. But once they had served their purpose, the whole sordid mess was cleaned out.

That you didn't see them before they were removed is unfortunate, I suppose, but your assumption about what they contained is completely off base.

TaoJones
Old 01-11-2009, 16:09   #85

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
The only posts that I have seen removed were outright hostile and crude even if misspelled on purpose , belittling and taunting posts aimed at one or two posters...and a mod.

Why cant we discuss her journey within the parameters of information we are all given and quit debating rather its enough or not....I think that answers your questions and was the main reason for this thread being started in the first place.

There are those that just don't seem to accept that and we end up going down the same path over and over... I for one am tired of it rater i am for or against her undertaking.

As the OP stated ..She is out there..lets talk about what we do know of her progress not what we don't and or wont!..I'm fine with arguing about rather or not her choice of food or use of west marine gear is of a concern or not..but in this thread it was agreed to lay off the " I want to know down to the min. where she is at baloney" Any post that brings that up I'm happy to have deleted...its a dead horse as we get what we get for reasons we have no say in...Just because she went public with a launch blitz's doesn't mean we automatically get front row seats.

Enjoy the view we do get and lets concentrate our comments and differences according to the picture window of information we have.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 01-11-2009, 16:36   #86

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
GordMay,

Silence was not intended to limit one's speach, but to imply that some of the comments posted to this thread were not in keeping with the parameters of the original posting. In which case silence by virtue of not posting some of the crude comments would have been more appropriate.

What would be delightful is to see some of those amongst us who have challenged the southern oceans, or have gone the RTW solo route provide their wisdom regarding this subject.
Old 01-11-2009, 17:07   #87

Boat: PETERSON 44
guess where jessica is?

Beats the current tilt of conversation/insults.

My guess 25 deg 10' 174 deg 15' E If this is anywhere near right she would hitched up to the upper edge of a system with good down wind sailing. should be able to keep clocking off some miles.
Old 01-11-2009, 17:46   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
it appears that only "Jessica Succeed" posts are being allowed to remain even when they contain personal attacks on another poster.
I'm not seeing that at all and I think the mods have been bending over backwards to be fair and impartial.

I am confident that if I posted an honest question about this endeavor that was not complimentary towards JW, it would not be censored as long as I wasn't being nasty, sarcastic, stalkerish or making a personal attack on anyone
Old 01-11-2009, 18:20   #89

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I did not have an opportunity to view the "offensive pedophile" or a blatant "troll" so my statements were based on the assumption that the remaining posts that included "mild" personal attacks (although to the observer they may have seen as spurious personal attacks) remained.
- - I humbly apologize to the moderators and congratulate them for deleting posts of that nature promptly enough that I did not have to see them. But would suggest that when they post that numerous "posts were deleted" they provide a statement as to the nature of the removed posts versus just saying "off subject."
- - The thrust of my complaint is that Post #1 set out parameters and page after page is filled with cheerleading or booing rather than conforming to the parameters in Post #1. I understand, because I have been in Public Media, that separating out the "political agenda" from the technical aspects is difficult in the public forum of any sort. But it is absolutely real world that anybody promoting their "endeavor" in the mass media and subsequently becomes a "public figure" is legally fair game for criticism and praise. Otherwise the paparatizz (spelling??) would be broke and out of work.
- - I would just like to see - as the Post #1 stated - the discussion kept on track and those needing to be cheerleaders or doomsayers keep such comments out of the discussion as Post #1 instructs. Then again, maybe the thread would be too dull and not attract new "customers" to CF. Who can resist a good toss-up?
Old 01-11-2009, 18:41   #90

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
osirissail, you are jumping to a completely unwarranted conclusion. All of the posts that were deleted were either those of a troll who had infiltrated this trade, or those who were responding to him - either suggesting that he beat it or that the moderators remove him. Once he was dealt with, none of that needed to remain in the thread.

TaoJones
Well that's not true, my post about the squid that jumped on her deck (see her blog) got deleted, in spite of my post's light-hearted efforts to ignore posts unrelated to her journey and at least discuss something about JW's journey.

But, I'm sure this will be deleted also since it, in spite of previous posts is also not "on-topic".
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world