Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 06:30   #691

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Jesse Martin will be there to shake her hand, he is the 1st to acknowledge her great achievement. So why do the Monday Morning Quaterback persist?
I think we all will acknowledge her great achievement. Will Jesse Martin claim that she made a "proper circumnavigation"? If so, he's contradicting his earlier statement.

As I've said, she'll probably be the youngest person to ever sail solo around Antarctica. It'll be an amazing achievement. She should be quite proud of herself. She set her goal, and she will achieve her goal, and she shouldn't give a damn what the history books say anyway.

I hope the history books get it right, though.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:53   #692

in her blog today, Jessica adds to her list of impressive achievements. She jury-rigged a replacement fuel pump with a water transfer pump.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:06   #693

No matter how far north above the equator a vesel may go, if that journey does round the continental capes, and return to its starting point, it will have circumnavigated Antarctica. I don't really get making a big deal of the fact that she went around Antarica. Frankly all I can say in reply is "So what?"

If future writers call her journey an RA voyage instead of an RTW voyage, then they'll simply have to modify references to all the other such paths followed before and after Jessica as well.

~
Old 10-05-2010, 12:08   #694

No one is happy with the idea that sailing a tight loop around Antarctica qualifies as sailing around the world. Just about everyone thinks you should have to do something more. But many past and present rules are bizarrely arbitrary: Start/Finish in England, or Start/Finish on a line between Ouessant and the Lizzard Lighthouse, or travel an orthodromic distance of 21,600 miles, etc. Chichester’s antipodes rule actually makes sense, but it is often perverted into weird land related waypoint requirements. Jesse Martin went out of his way to try and satisfy everyone’s pet requirements.

The Equator x 2 convention is partly a concession to sailors who start out in the southern hemisphere, but mostly it’s a traditional and simple to apply convention that satisfies the need for something more than Antarctica. It is used by solo, nonstop, unassisted circumnavigators in ordinary boats who are also going to do something more by trying to round the 3 great capes and follow a great tradition. It is simply a substitute for the start/finish in England part of the 1968 solo, nonstop, unassisted race rules which predate every definition except Chichester’s - his circumnavigation was not nonstop.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 10-05-2010, 14:26   #695

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
So she didn't sail around the world. Big deal. She still sailed around the world.
Old 10-05-2010, 14:51   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
So she didn't sail around the world. Big deal. She still sailed around the world.
Tager nailed it.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 10-05-2010, 16:36   #697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Mate - here in Australia next week we will give her the welcome and adulation she so richly deserves, and we and she wont give a toss about Monday Morning Quarterbacks
Cheers to that.
Old 10-05-2010, 17:36   #698

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
Cheers to that.
Amen. Great job Jessica!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 22:07   #699

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post

Perfect!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:19   #700

Boat: Sabre 28 Mk1 "Shaba"
Those wowsers at SW are just stirring the possum! They could have done the distance calculation based on the information on her website before she left using great circle arcs and the one waypoint, and then said something . But Nooooo!
Jesse is the Best! She did what she set out to do and did it in style! She is one kick-ass young lady! I can only imagine was it was like for her to round Tasmania in the storm. All those going to Sydney on Saturday, please give an extra hurrah for her on my behalf! I am sure I will get a big lump in my throat watching the youtube of her homecoming when it comes out.

RW
Old 11-05-2010, 11:41   #701

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInMd View Post
Those wowsers at SW are just stirring the possum! They could have done the distance calculation based on the information on her website before she left using great circle arcs and the one waypoint, and then said something . But Nooooo!
Jesse is the Best! She did what she set out to do and did it in style! She is one kick-ass young lady! I can only imagine was it was like for her to round Tasmania in the storm. All those going to Sydney on Saturday, please give an extra hurrah for her on my behalf! I am sure I will get a big lump in my throat watching the youtube of her homecoming when it comes out.

RW
Well said!...and ditto the sentiments.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:21   #702

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInMd View Post
She did what she set out to do and did it in style! She is one kick-ass young lady...

RW
I think that’s the deal – too bad there are so many non-sailing distractions, improperly measured distance, boat name, whatnot – but one thing is for certain, she is proving to the naysayers she’s a dang hard-working sailor (doubtlessly a lot better than I’ll ever be – gotta admire her…)
Old 11-05-2010, 19:39   #703

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
I only just heard about the "Pink Lady" dispute, I had no idea that this was also the name of an apple. (Shades of Apple Macs here - it was years before I discovered that a "macintosh" is (in the USA at least) a variety of apple as well as (in the UK) a type of raincoat, all of a sudden Apple's choice of name for their computer didn't seem so random after all!)

The idea that a boat name could be seen as infringing on the trade mark of an apple variety seemed frankly ridiculous (especially as the status of the trade mark seems to be disputed), but then I saw a picture of a Pink Lady logo sticker on an apple.....whoops! Somehow I think putting the boat's name in white writing inside a pink heart was not such a good idea! (I'd been wondering what the heart thing was about, since it didn't seem to be an Ella Bach motif.)

Meanwhile, on the "fantasy voyage" front (i.e. routes that Jessica could have taken to make up the miles), I've been playing with a Great Circles spreadsheet and come to the conclusion that my initial belief that rounding Hawaii instead of Xmas Island would have done the trick was a long way short of the mark. Midway Island is also not enough, in fact the only obvious rounding point in the North Pacific that brings the route up to 21,600nm would be Guadalupe Island off Mexico, which ironically would have made Jess's voyage almost identical to Abby's. But given that Abby had to detour SW to catch the wind, Jess would probably have been better off sailing due North from Sydney and finding a rounding point at about 30° North (I couldn't find anything there though: Marcus Island is too far south). That way she could have caught the winds by approaching Cape Horn from a Westerly direction.
Old 11-05-2010, 20:14   #704

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
Meanwhile, on the "fantasy voyage" front (i.e. routes that Jessica could have taken to make up the miles), I've been playing with a Great Circles spreadsheet and come to the conclusion that my initial belief that rounding Hawaii instead of Xmas Island would have done the trick was a long way short of the mark.
There was a reason why Jesse did that long trek so far north in the Atlantic and it wasn't just to wear off excess ablative bottom paint

It is interesting to see Jessica's voyage (from her site) when viewed from the perspective of an Antarctic circumnavigation. It is pretty obvious and I don't think anyone would fault her for being incredibly proud of what she has done even if it isn't equal to Jesse's accomplishment.

-Sven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 10.24.43 PM.png
Views:	140
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	16033  
Old 11-05-2010, 20:34   #705

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
I only just heard about the "Pink Lady" dispute, I had no idea that this was also the name of an apple. (Shades of Apple Macs here - it was years before I discovered that a "macintosh" is (in the USA at least) a variety of apple as well as (in the UK) a type of raincoat, all of a sudden Apple's choice of name for their computer didn't seem so random after all!)

The idea that a boat name could be seen as infringing on the trade mark of an apple variety seemed frankly ridiculous (especially as the status of the trade mark seems to be disputed), but then I saw a picture of a Pink Lady logo sticker on an apple.....whoops! Somehow I think putting the boat's name in white writing inside a pink heart was not such a good idea! (I'd been wondering what the heart thing was about, since it didn't seem to be an Ella Bach motif.)
Long before there was an apple computer corporation, there was a pink lady. Who do they think they are?

From cocktailnerd.com:

Quote:
Jun 07
Last night’s dogbite: Pink Lady

Drinkage, Gin 9 Comments » This is a drink I’ve run across several times throughout my research and readings about classic and vintage cocktails but isn’t one I’ve ever seen a lot of attention or press given to. It just never seems to be featured as a, ‘You must try this!’ or a ‘This is why we study classic cocktails!’ drink as the Aviation, Pegu Club, and other drinks have been in various books and websites. So, that, and two other things attracted me to it each time I would pass it by when browsing; it used egg white as a central component, and it was just so damned pretty!
Now for me, and, I imagine, other neophytes to the classic and vintage cocktail community the use of egg white in a cocktail is a sort of Rubicon you cross in your exploration; a sort of way to test your seriousness in the matter. Just about anytime I’ve confronted people with or suggested to people a recipe using raw egg (yolk or white) the scrunched-up look one sees when the subject of goiters enters a conversation comes across their faces. I’m to the point now where I just leave the fact out until after my guest is enjoying their (usually) maraschino cherry garnish at the bottom of the glass and mention it as an afterthought, ‘Oh yes, and there was egg white in that…frothy and smooth, no?’ - I generally try to wait until after they’ve actually swallowed the cherry mind you – no need for a mess now. Read More »

Tags
jessica watson, round the world