Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2009, 18:04   #271

automotive sleep Czech dost allays work if you are dyslexic because they're many words that one might type wrong while still having correct spelling. It seems perfectly reasonable that her posts would be checked and corrected by a human spell checker.
Old 23-12-2009, 18:14   #272

Boat: Charter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica
But I do have to confess, my updates have to be spell checked before being published.

She was admitting to poor spelling skills, but she did not say she wasn't the hitting the spell-check button herself.
Old 23-12-2009, 18:32   #273
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay, I think this little sidetrack into dyslexia, spelling and spell-checking, etc. has provided an interesting moment or two, but perhaps it's time to get back to the central premise of the thread: Jessica Watson's 'round-the-world voyage. She's closing on the Horn, now, and the stakes rise considerably once she's into those perilous waters.

Do any of the posters to this Forum have any first-hand accounts of rounding the Horn, including potential hazards she might anticipate? Has anyone sailed those waters in a similar craft? Were you alone, or with crew? Although she will be sailing there in early Southern Hemisphere summer, what weather conditions might she encounter? How far north might ice be present in January?

TaoJones
Old 23-12-2009, 18:43   #274
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Great to hear Jessica is doing well and I have my fingers crossed for a benign passage in the lower latitudes.

I must confess as a lifelong sailor, these days… the only time I start to feel queasy at sea is in front of the computer.

I am fine, typing away as long as I don’t scrutinize the screen closely as I would do during spell check or on a spreadsheet.

Give this sailor a break and treat her with the same sensitivity you would expect, if you were doing a “first”.

Tough times are coming and she needs to maintain her confidence, not doubting her perception of numbers or readings due to a few mean spirited comments.
Old 24-12-2009, 06:20   #275
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Okay, I think this little sidetrack into dyslexia, spelling and spell-checking, etc. has provided an interesting moment or two, but perhaps it's time to get back to the central premise of the thread: Jessica Watson's 'round-the-world voyage. She's closing on the Horn, now, and the stakes rise considerably once she's into those perilous waters.
Fair Call TaoJ.......
Quote:
Do any of the posters to this Forum have any first-hand accounts of rounding the Horn, including potential hazards she might anticipate? Has anyone sailed those waters in a similar craft? Were you alone, or with crew? Although she will be sailing there in early Southern Hemisphere summer, what weather conditions might she encounter? How far north might ice be present in January?

TaoJones
IIRC, this question of posters with actual experience of the SO has been asked a few times on the JW threads and I don't recall anyone fronting up to post.

I certainly can't claim any such experience although I hope to be in the same waters as JW come Feb. i.e. Somewhere south of OZ between Cape Leeuwin (Western australia) and South East Cape (Tasmania)
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 24-12-2009, 06:28   #276

Solo????

So if Santa visits JW at midnight Christmas Eve (local time), does this violate her solo status???

I would feel sad if Santa bypasses a 16 year old just to meet some self imposed solo requirement so I suggest to JW that she doesn't let on what happens aboard the Pink Lady on Christmas Eve.

What happens on the boat stays on the boat.

Merry Christmas Jessica
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 24-12-2009, 07:34   #277
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
So if Santa visits JW at midnight Christmas Eve (local time), does this violate her solo status??? ...
Not if he only hovers.

Follow Santa's Solo Unassisted Trip 'Round:
Official NORAD Santa Tracker

Old 24-12-2009, 07:41   #278

This is yet another reason why cruising sailboats do not have chimneys.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 24-12-2009, 07:49   #279
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I have been down there (double handed). We have been round the horn and sailed non-stop from the horn to Fremantle.

Not much ice round the horn in summer but there could be ice near South Georgia. Most people arc up above south Georgia.

But it can be cold and windy. She has seen zero serious weather so far. She will get 50kts somewhere along the southern ocean.

There are three hurdles (1) the Horn, (2) South Georgia, and (3) the Kerguelen islands. The weather and waves tend to be bad around those areas, with ice around South Georgia.
Old 24-12-2009, 09:59   #280
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
This is yet another reason why cruising sailboats do not have chimneys.
Easy for a Florida boy to say, but talk to a Northerner ...

Old 24-12-2009, 15:04   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Not if he only hovers.

Follow Santa's Solo Unassisted Trip 'Round:
Official NORAD Santa Tracker
Thanks for the link GordM but it has me wondering; after a very careful inspection of NORAD's track of Santa, I can't seem to see when/where he visited (hovered?) over the Pink Lady.
Now given S's reputation, it is hardly likely he would miss out any child(?) at all so I left to consider that NORAD's reach doesn't extend to the empty wastes of the Southern Ocean.

Thank goodness that Aussies like JW are keeping an eye on things done there.

Shameless nationality plug over and back to my next Christmas drink
Old 02-01-2010, 23:57   #282

Just some stats.

From JW's website, on New Years Day J is 55 S, day 75 and less than 1,200 m from the Horn.

Nice numbers I think.
Old 06-01-2010, 20:04   #283

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
"Jessica Watson's boss plans to sail beside her at Cape Horn - and wave"

from: Sail-World.com : Jessica Watson's boss plans to sail beside her at Cape Horn - and wave

-Sven
Old 06-01-2010, 20:33   #284

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Glad she has (and will have) company down there. She is doing a great job. Man alive what courage. Thanks for keeping us updated Sven and Wotname. Interesting about the Indian circumnavigator too.
Cheers,
Erika

Boy oh boy does this quote apply to her:

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin,
Old 06-01-2010, 20:34   #285

Boat: Charter
It looks like Jessica is about to get some competition: Abby Sunderland
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world