Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 12:41   #31

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Hope I am not straying too far from subject.
From a DUI or DWI angle, which uses the breathaliser, how do the police determine DWH (driving while high). This is a serious query, not a mischevious one.
They look for smoke when they open the submarine hatch.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 12:57   #32

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
They look for smoke when they open the submarine hatch.
I think you been watching too many old Cheech and Chong movies
Old 15-07-2010, 18:20   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Hope I am not straying too far from subject.
From a DUI or DWI angle, which uses the breathaliser, how do the police determine DWH (driving while high). This is a serious query, not a mischevious one.
There are physiological effects of drugs that are visible to those who are trained what to look for. These indicators unto themselves are not a sure fire conviction, but a blood sample taken at the police station or the hospital could be indisputable evidence.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 18:59   #34

Boat: not much yet
No it isn't. There is no test that can tell the time the dose was taken, if the person was high that day even, or if they smoked a joint three days ago.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 19:01   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Blood samples tell you what is currently in the blood stream. Does it matter when someone got high if they are high right right now while driving? If they have to wait to get tested, then that's to their advantage, since they could partially sober up on the way to the police station for their blood test.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 19:37   #36

Boat: not much yet
I am disabled from head injuries. Pot is the only drug that restores my balance, most of the time. I have even testified in court about the need I have in a place where it is illegal and if caught, I could do time. I found that out while trying pot to help with the sickness from a drug/chemotherapy type situation. I had not smoked any in 20 years. I have continued to smoke because I really like not falling down and/or walking into things!
My normal straight blood level would wack a 14 year old newbie so hard you could put him to bed. It is not intoxicating at all to me.
There is no way to prove intoxication or when the drug was taken by test.
It is not my fault the the GUV sends me down the street to deal with a thug in the end of an alley. I would rather deal with the walgreens or wally world up the street, but the GUV wants the war to continue.
Want to give the drug gangs heart failure? Legalize and see how many of them continue to stand on the corner selling pot at a buck a bag profit, when wally world would be selling 5 bucks cheaper and making three bucks. There are some dangerous gangs out there, but none of them wants a war with Walton's baby. Walmart would do in a month what the entire drug task forces can not do.
For the best real world evidence to date, read the Portugal material. Pay extra close attention to the pages contrasting their results with the various law enforcement models they are surrounded by.
Here is how this works. The bikers started making crystal meth way back when. The original attacks on meth was in an effort to de-fund several outlaw groups. They continued down the line with bans on pharmaceutical speed because they thought having doctors checking the user every month was a bad thing some how. They then started to ban the chemicals needed to make it.
Today, it is made in crazy ways, using lithium battery strips, adding brain balance chemicals to the mix. The cops keep the addicts hiding and sliding downward until they can no longer hide. By that time, there is not much help to offer anymore.
The government basically invented the horribly addictive version of Meth that is destroying whole communities. Most of the meth bodies could have been avoided if the Guv had stayed out of it.
Read the Portugal material.
I do not advocate anyone using drugs. I do acknowledge that if you took all the addicts and placed them on one Island, drug tested them once a week, with the penalty for a dirty test being death, the only thing that would change is that the addicts would find something that left the body in less than a week that could be made from local supplies. Potato hooch/ or Vodka is one such example.
Law will never stop nature.
Off soap box again.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote