Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 09:06   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000 10meters (33')
Dinghy Security in the Exumas

Rusty Sitton here from "Sea Yawl Later !!" SittonOnTheBeach.com
My son is in his first season of cruising, he bought a 33' Irwin "Miss Adventure" rigged it out and had plans to be out a year or more, but encountered a problem I haven't known in all my 16 years of sailing the Exumas.

Jono was hiking in the central Exumas last week and lost his dink. He saw the thieves making off with it but without transportation was helpless to pursue. Forced to swim back to his boat, the fishing boat was long gone, powering out to sea with his dinghy in tow.

I guess the Bahamas are finally getting like the Carib, lock it or lose it.... that's quite a shame. I'm the last one to raise undue concern, but given the circumstances I felt it should be announced to the community.

Working the issue, we have discovered there just aren't any dinghies available new or used in the Bahamas, even in Nassau so Jono is just without. My only option seems to be to find one in the states and get it to him somehow.

I'd like to shout out to the community and see if anybody knows of a 9' or 10' Hypalon dink and engine for sale. We need a light boat with no more than a 15hp 2 stroke because he often carries it on the bow, and does so without assistance. His lost boat is almost 10' / a single hull rib with a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke.

A friend in Stuart has found some possibilities, but nothing solid yet. My hope is that somebody in Martathon/Boot Key Harbor might have something, or be willing to transport what we eventually find across the stream so Jono won't have to come all the way back home. Our plan is to get a boat we can fold up and box, so it can go below decks, and I'll provide a rail mount motor block for the crossing. That way it won't have to be towed or take up room as a second dink.

Any advice or help would be appreciated I can't believe the place we have loved so long is getting just like everywhere else. I'll send a long 3/32" cable (something you can't cut with a knife) and a lock so he can lock it to a tree... please let me know if you are aware of anyone who has a dink, or might help with transport. All you need is temporary space for a large box, rail space and a big heart Thanks for reading.... Rusty

Jono is doing a great job publishing his ships log on FB, and he is a professional photographer so check it out. Jonathon Sitton on FB
OldSailor1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Dinghy Security in the Exumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSailor1954 View Post
Rusty Sitton here from "Sea Yawl Later !!" SittonOnTheBeach.com
My son is in his first season of cruising, he bought a 33' Irwin "Miss Adventure" rigged it out and had plans to be out a year or more, but encountered a problem I haven't known in all my 16 years of sailing the Exumas.

Jono was hiking in the central Exumas last week and lost his dink. He saw the thieves making off with it but without transportation was helpless to pursue. Forced to swim back to his boat, the fishing boat was long gone, powering out to sea with his dinghy in tow.

I guess the Bahamas are finally getting like the Carib, lock it or lose it.... that's quite a shame. I'm the last one to raise undue concern, but given the circumstances I felt it need to be announced to the community.

Working the issue, we have discovered there just aren't any dinghies available new or used in the Bahamas, even in Nassau so Jono is just without. My only option seems to be to find one in the states and get it to him somehow.

I'd like to shout out to the community and see if anybody knows of a 9' or 10' Hypalon dink and engine for sale. We need a light boat with no more than a 15hp 2 stroke because he often carries it on the bow, and does so without assistance. His lost boat is almost 10' / a single hull rib with a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke.

A friend in Stuart has found some possibilities, but nothing solid yet. My hope is that somebody in Martathon/Boot Key Harbor might have something, or be willing to transport what we eventually find across the stream so Jono won't have to come all the way back home. Our plan is to get a boat we can fold up and box, so it can go below decks, and I'll provide a rail mount motor block for the crossing. That way it won't have to be towed or take up room as a second dink.

Any advice or help would be appreciated I can't believe the place we have loved so long is getting just like everywhere else. I'll send a long 3/16" cable and lock this time so he can lock it to a tree... please let me know if you are aware of anyone who has a dink, or might help with transport. All you need is temporary space for a large box, rail space and a big heart. Thanks for reading.... Rusty

Jono is doing a great job publishing his ships log on FB, and he's a professional photographer so check it out. Jonathon Sitton on FB
Thats a hard one. Hope something works out for you.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:40   #3

It will be quite a challenge, but I'm committed to find a solution. With all the great people I have met out there cruising, I feel confident about finding a Gulfstream ride for the new dink. I know I wouldn't hesitate to help on SYL. The best solution would be a nice big powerboat headed to the Exumas! Plenty room and quicker delivery...

Sea Yawl Later, Rusty
Old 07-12-2016, 13:22   #4

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

File a police report. If a dinghy has to come from the states, it can come in duty free with a police report.
Old 07-12-2016, 19:54   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Sorry for his loss. I would ask that it get reported to noon site. If it hasn't been. Also what cay did this happen just curious. We are heading towards either exumas as or Spanish wells in about 2 to 2.5 weeks if you find something light "ish" air floor under 100 lbs we could strap it to our deck. Maybe a cheaper air floor pvc from boats to go? We'd just cover and strap the engine down as well and lock it. We're leaving north of Tampa for key largo this weekend and will be in the keys for 2-5 days waiting for a window. We could easily meet up with him in great harbor (Berries) just not sure we're heading to the exumas sooner or after SW). If you find do something in the keys that can get it to us that's great, we can provide a ship to address if it's shippable. Pm me if I can help. I can send you our delorme I found so you can even track it ;0)
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 20:59   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I always felt safe in the Exumas with my dink and with the big boat.
Which Cay was this?
Small community, somebody should know something, a US dink for sale or being used locally should get attention.
Paint the motor and boat yellow or orange next time.
I had to do just that in the Virgins years ago, dink theft left and right, but I kept my bright yellow Dyer Dhow, too easy to spot.
(Painted the inside bright yellow)
Old 07-12-2016, 21:08   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The ultimate insult will come when he reports it to the police. This is reportedly a real experience in the Bahamas.

"So Mon, you saying that the dinghy be stolen, and not leaving here with you? Then you imported it and be owing us the duty on it."
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:37   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Don't worry. You'll probably be able to buy your dinghy back in a few days, probably without the engine but even this will show up if it's too small to be useful to one of the thief's fisherman friends.

Twenty years ago, in Georgetown one winter, I questioned why there were so many old, beat up, unsightly, dinghies on the beach, mostly without engines. "Easy, mon. Dem nice dinks go 'way quick when you turn your back."

Your dinghy provides the raw material for a local entrepreneur, probably known by everyone you talk with, including the police.
Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:02   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
-----Twenty years ago, in Georgetown one winter, I questioned why there were so many old, beat up, unsightly, dinghies on the beach, mostly without engines. "Easy, mon. Dem nice dinks go 'way quick when you turn your back."
-----
I dunno Trekker, in my experience nobody stole anything in Georgetown 20 years ago. The dinghy precautions you mention were more for other areas such as Nassau, and some in the Caribbean, some in the US. That, and some of us were poorer then, and motors cost money lol.

Be that as it may, crime has definitely increased on Great Exuma Island. I think this started when they imported a lot of laborers to start building the large resort then known as Emerald Bay iirc. Unfortunately some of them didn't leave when their jobs were over, and doubtless spread some bad habits.

I guess that this next trip I may have to drag along a dinghy cable/lock etc. Bummer. I love the Exumas, including Georgetown.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:11   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

L
O
C
K

I
T

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:41   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Luders 36

Darn, I have the perfect dink, but it won't be in his area till late next year. 9'6" Achilles RIB, 15hp-2stroke Yamaha. Sorry to hear that. But, thanks for the heads up. Just a shame that we can't trust anywhere anymore.
Sailsarefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:27   #12

Update on Jono's dinghy dilemma...

He was at the Bubble Bath near Compass Cay when it was taken. Jono swam back to his boat, looked and hailed often on the VHF for days regarding his loss. He reported it to the police at Staniel but it's been almost 2 weeks so it's probably a lost cause. The boat towing it was heading west (offshore) probably to a larger fishing vessel when it was last seen.

I have been going to the Exumas for 15 years and haven't heard of any problems other than some joy riding during Family Island Regatta in GT. This is really sad that its getting like the rest of the world, I love that place. I'm sending 60' of 3/32" flexible stainless cable with the replacement boat so he can lock it to a tree when ashore. Something that cant be cut with a knife or easily with pliers, that might not be too cumbersome.

We bought a roll up 9' Avon today in Stuart Florida, with the duffel bag it fits in. If anybody is passing by Stuart in the next couple weeks on their way, I'd love to beg a ride.... We haven't found a good motor yet, we may have to just buy a new one at Minn's in Georgetown.

If anybody has a good spare 8 hp 2 stroke they would let go of, I'd love to know. I'd provide a rail clamp motor bracket for it's ride across, if we can put all that together.

For now, we HAVE a boat and are looking for somebody Exuma Bound passing thru Stuart in the next week or so. My sailboat buddy in Stuart has a pleasure boat. He can transfer the package to you by land, or by sea!

Thanks for any help with this care package. You can read up on Jono's experience on FB. search Jonathon Sitton (with the sailboat picture) He's a professional photographer so besides reading the details on this, he's made some good pictures.

Pass around the shout out if you will, there's probably a lot of boats in Marathon leaving soon, we could bus it down there. We have sailing friends (AJ & Lisa) in Boot Kay Harbor so they will talk it around when they get back. Surely we can find a ride for my care package shortly.

Thanks for your help... Sea Yawl later !! Rusty SittonOnTheBeach.com
Old 08-12-2016, 13:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSailor1954 View Post
He was at the Bubble Bath near Compass Cay when it was taken.
Too bad he wasn't near Moral Compass Cay.
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 13:56   #14

Took me a minute but I got it.. Moral Compass
Old 08-12-2016, 14:36   #15

Boat: Tartan 37

Roll up dinghy a 8 hp is an overkill, look for a smaller cheaper motor. Like a 4hp.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas, dinghy, security