Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30   #196
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I doubt the bow roller is a major problem.

Foggy
Nope.... its someone parking a boat in a crap situation where waves could only build and expecting her to stand up to forces beyond her spec...
Todays boats are designed for fontal impact... not the constant jerk and pull of the anchor chain...
Thats why the 'Old Boats' had the main cleat/kingpost running right down to the keel...
Of course the front ripped of... the roller had bugger all to do with it... it went where the strengthening ended...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:33   #197
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

true, boaty--is not the equipment that failed, was the loose nut abaft the wheel that failed in a large fashion.
i LOVE my samson post which is attached to my keel
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:39   #198

Boat: Seafarer 26
This is just said all the way around. I am not going to assume the owner did it.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:46   #199

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

Nope.... its someone parking a boat in a crap situation where waves could only build and expecting her to stand up to forces beyond her spec...
Todays boats are designed for fontal impact... not the constant jerk and pull of the anchor chain...
Thats why the 'Old Boats' had the main cleat/kingpost running right down to the keel...
Of course the front ripped of... the roller had bugger all to do with it... it went where the strengthening ended...
Bow section looks pretty good compared to the rest.
sometimes I put nose in other people's business. I jumped on a guys boat last year who was in trouble. Some is self preservation wound up liking the guy and he appreciated having me onboard while we sorted out
His halyard and topping lift. Sometimes their are nice ways to get between an owner their inexperience and a disaster. To late here.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:51   #200

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

HEY BOATMAN..................YER FAST!!!! I deleted that post and sent a PM to the poster instead of quoting and replying about the stress on the roller pin. But maybe I should have left it intact. Simple trig will give you the downward force on a bow roller as a function of scope and chain force. Don't confuse downward force with lateral force.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16   #201
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
I am not going to assume the owner did it.
Me neither

If he was smart , then next step would be chainsaw / angle grinder (or JCB ) and into the back of a truck - with any sand that looks a bit dirty ........flatten out any hole and let the tide do the rest

My bet is that no one has yet GPS'd it's exact position, so would be harder to stick the owner with a bill for "environmental cleanup".......if they don't even know where the boat was

But sounds like he can't even afford a shovel.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:28   #202

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I've spent a lot of time behind various booths at a lot of boat shows and and in various boating stores and this guy reminds me of some of the folks I've talked to while thinking to myself, "I really hope this guy doesn't actually try to do what he says he's going to do." And unfortunately if you get a bad feeling like that it sometimes turns out to have been the right feeling. Some people just do not have the proper respect for the sea and weather. Sounds like this guy was lucky for 20 years though.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:41   #203

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

Me neither

If he was smart , then next step would be chainsaw / angle grinder (or JCB ) and into the back of a truck - with any sand that looks a bit dirty ........flatten out any hole and let the tide do the rest

My bet is that no one has yet GPS'd it's exact position, so would be harder to stick the owner with a bill for "environmental cleanup".......if they don't even know where the boat was

But sounds like he can't even afford a shovel.......
Looking at the burned mess I count Six shovels 1 nice mast 1 bow roller and a Edson wheel. Hope I never get my pics in the Stray pooch has kids column.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:05   #204
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one creates one's own luck, or lack there of.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:15   #205

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

This is really sad..some heartless person did this out of spite, no doubt. It seems that there are a few people using this guys misfortune as political ammunition in the local political arena, and now he is a victim again. This boat could have been saved if a few people had lent a hand.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21   #206

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismet View Post
This is really sad..some heartless person did this out of spite, no doubt. It seems that there are a few people using this guys misfortune as political ammunition in the local political arena, and now he is a victim again. This boat could have been saved if a few people had lent a hand.

You have info on who did this?
Old 10-09-2011, 13:39   #207
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismet View Post
This boat could have been saved if a few people had lent a hand.
Reading between the lines, sounds like he had previously got (drank?) through possible helpers in that neck of the woods........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 20:04   #208

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Seriously, are there really people who consider themselves true sailors actually defending this guy? A drunkin moron puts himself, some poor girl, the brave souls who risked their own lives rescuing them (not to mention the innocent cat) lives in very real danger. Oh yeah, there is also the issue of all of those wonderful pollutants trashing the beach and wildlife. I'm pretty certain few among you would be so sympathic if the gas, diesel, sewage, etc. were washing up at your beachfront or marina. Let'see this for what it is: a delusional jerk puts his life (his choice) as well as many others in harms way, for god only knows why, and dozens of bleeding hearts jump to his defense. What's wrong with this picture? Few a.mong us, most certainly myself included, live error free lives. Amen. That being said, we as sailors take a very real and absolute responsibllity in our own self reliance. We crusing sailors are a big, open, caring community, who not only take care of one another, but all others put in harms way. There are a million analogies I could use here, but, how can I say this nicely? "Stupid is as stupid does"
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 20:26   #209

Boat: Tartan 30
Not everybody who owns a boat is part of the 'we cruising sailors' crowd... He's just a guy who had no idea what he was doing. Granted, the news would have us believe he never knows what he's doing, but I suspect he has a different perspective on the matter.

I don't think anyone is defending his decisions, but some people are willing to help out a person in need, despite the reason for them being in their situation. To each his own...

As for polutants, this is Hampton Roads... A little burnt up 40 foot sailboat is the least of our worries.
Old 10-09-2011, 20:54   #210

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

Geez, l guess you have a polnt there. Once a s@#% hole, always a s@#% hole. (Hampton Roads) i mean really."Whata a little more crap on our beaches? like i said " stupid is as stupid does"
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, sailboat