Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: 1000 DAYS AT SEA - How long do you think they will be able to stay at sea
0 to 6 months 40 40.40%
6 to 12 months 24 24.24%
12 to 18 months 5 5.05%
18 to 24 months 10 10.10%
24 to 30 months 2 2.02%
30 to 36 months 1 1.01%
THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE IT! 17 17.17%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 07:52   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
1000 days on a boat - POLL

This poll is a prediction of how long you think this couple will actually stay at sea.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:41   #2

Pls post your reasons and or comments for the vote as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30   #3

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
I voted with the majority (so far) that they would be ashore within 6 months. I think most people would over-estimate their ability to be that isolated. You can get pretty squirrelly after just a few weeks in a ship with a large crew - I can't imagine what it would be like with only two on board. I almost think he'd be better off doing it alone, as I think the reason they call it quits will be conflict between them. I wish them luck.

Kevin
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:49   #4

Boat: Catalina 22 MKII
i guessed between 6-12 months. I know he has been at sea for 200 days in the past, and I am thinking around 300 days on this trip. I think the real problem will be breakdowns. I followed Dee Caffrey's voyage and there were so many times that she was close to having to abandon her efforts because of hardware problems (generator, auto-helm...) only to come up with a fix after extensive consultations with her world class shore support team.
cferger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 13:43   #5

Boat: Lagoon 420
I voted that they would make it. This was my third choice. My first choice was they'd never leave. I met Reid over 2 years ago when he was preparing the leave. Interesting fellow. His biggest concern was crew selection. He was prepared to go it alone if he couldn't find someone he really felt couldn't stand the 3 year commitment and constant company. He's taken a long time getting to this point. Mainly because of the time to get sponsorship but maybe he's had time to find someone who's up for it. My second choice was that they wouldn't come back. So opted for quietly hoping they would make it through this adventure and achieve their goals.
Old 06-04-2007, 17:33   #6

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
I voted that they will make it, if you read more about him, you will see that he has already done extended cruising (the shape of a sea turtle I believe). He has spent nearly that much time prepping for this trip. I think that unless an unforeseen tragedy strikes they will go the distance, err... time.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 18:04   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I don't know what couple you are talking about and don't care. I spent 2 months at sea on a destroyer with 150 other sailors and it was not pleasant. If I were alone I would last much longer. I don't know why anyone would want to do anything like 1000 days and no matter it would not be significant to me nor a record for a voyage.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 22:39   #8

He's a nut. Or a fake...

This guy has been "about to leave" for nearly ten years. Depending whom you believe, he's somewhere between a nut and a fake.

Here he is telling the exact same story nine years ago--

In one of history's more audacious acts of voyaging, Reid Stowe is preparing to hoist his sails, slip his mooring, a... | Outside Online

Departure is always close enough to generate money and attention, but far enough away to keep him from actually having to do it.
BlueMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMartin
This guy has been "about to leave" for nearly ten years. Depending whom you believe, he's somewhere between a nut and a fake.

Here he is telling the exact same story nine years ago--

In one of history's more audacious acts of voyaging, Reid Stowe is preparing to hoist his sails, slip his mooring, a... | Outside Online

Departure is always close enough to generate money and attention, but far enough away to keep him from actually having to do it.
Well BlueMartin,great first post .I knew there was something a bit bent about this bloke.It seems like Laurence Gillem,his first partner,didn't make it to D-Day.D= Departure.Now Laurence sounds like a bloke's name to me.The next sentence starts with"The couple..."Given that in French Laurence might be feminine,the bent bit about the whole story,could be that,He dosen't want to go alone.So much for being intune with ya Inna stuff an all.His spiritualism just failed him. Funny how ya don't see him talking the same in the updated version of his epic voyage.Maybe he is thinking more on the Tantric side of things this time round,given that his new partner looks Indian,as opposed to his,daily lye in dirt(Somewhere on deck I believe from the story) ritual that connects him to something.I gave them 18mths.But that was before I saw your link.Very welcome aboard.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:46   #10

Boat: Lagoon 420
You're right, he always seems to be on the verge of heading off with someone different.

In 1999 he married Laurence Guillen. No mention of why their previous attempt at 1,000 days didn't make it but it does suggest they're go in the future : WEDDINGS: VOWS; Laurence Guillen and Reid Stowe - New York Times

In 2002 he's about to start his 1,000 day voyage in December : Castaway

In July 2004, it was later this year : The Ocean - Ocean news and guide

End of 2005, he's about to leave the following January : 1,000-day ‘space mission’ will sail the sea - LiveScience - MSNBC.com

There are others. Just google Reid Stowe.

I go back to my original votes. My first choice is he'll never leave. My second choice is he'll do some extreme Moitessier thing and never come back - we'll have strange reports from time to time of chantric music and the smell of sprouts drifting over the Ocean. Third choice - you never know - he may actually go and do it. It's not as though he hasn't managed a few extended voyages so far.
Old 08-04-2007, 14:56   #11

Rescue attempt within 6 months or they just give it up, realizing it's just as stupid as it sounds.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 15:49   #12

So one of my replys is missing!Be there a reason?Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 15:51   #13

Yu have 2 replieson the originalthrea under this category - be it one of them?
Old 08-04-2007, 15:52   #14

Damn wirles keybord is dropin leters
Old 08-04-2007, 17:38   #15

I guessed 18+ months. They have already done 6, so I assume they can do at least that much again easily (barring catastrophe). But, like others have said, perhaps they won't go.
N.M.I.ke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll