Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2019, 18:08   #46

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Who Can See (Read) the Contents of Private Messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The cited US ruling does seem to limit the broad inspection powers that U.S. border officials have used to search electronic devices (by U.S. officers), without evidence of contraventions. This would seem to harmonize US LAW with Canadian POLICY.
It is interesting that you and Mike talked about this. While I am happy with the U.S. court ruling, there does seem to be a lack of broad implementation in related matters.

There was a news article on Fox News I believe, that talked about how the citizens of a Canadian town on an island (Sadly I don't remember the town name) next to Maine that is having problems with their mail (snail mail) being read by U.S. Customs.

Some background. The only bridge going to this island is from the U.S. state of Maine. There are ferries from mainland Canada, but not during the winter. The mail is trucked in, and has to pass through U.S. Customs. Since Canada legalized some form of marijuana last year (I don't recall if it was all forms, recreational, medicinal, etc.), U.S. Customs is opening almost all mail checking for weed. Unsurprisingly, the residents of this town are outraged, especially the mail is coming from Canada and shipped directly to this Canadian town with no stops in the U.S.

Privacy indeed!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 18:36   #47

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
There was a news article on Fox News I believe, that talked about how the citizens of a Canadian town on an island (Sadly I don't remember the town name) next to Maine that is having problems with their mail (snail mail) being read by U.S. Customs.
Interesting. I haven't heard about this one, although it certainly sounds plausible. I am aware of a couple of places where the border cuts through the middle of the community, or where you have to cross from one country into the other just to enter or exit.

There is this one area in NW Ontario which is legally part of Minnesota, but are surrounded by Canada. I guess the residents just take it all in stride:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...file-1.4973625

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
... Since Canada legalized some form of marijuana last year (I don't recall if it was all forms, recreational, medicinal, etc.), U.S. Customs is opening almost all mail checking for weed.
Yes, we've decriminalized recreational marijuana up here. It's pretty funny b/c leading up to the event the media was full of "THE SKY IS FALLING!" stories. But it's really been a big 'nothing-burger' of an event. No big uptick in public health problems. No massive change in taxes. And sadly no big change in the money going to police force budgets aimed at fighting the illegal drug trade.

But it's still early days. Maybe the sky will still fall .
Old 14-11-2019, 18:50   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Interesting. I haven't heard about this one, although it certainly sounds plausible. I am aware of a couple of places where the border cuts through the middle of the community, or where you have to cross from one country into the other just to enter or exit.

There is this one area in NW Ontario which is legally part of Minnesota, but are surrounded by Canada. I guess the residents just take it all in stride:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...file-1.4973625

Yes, we've decriminalized recreational marijuana up here. It's pretty funny b/c leading up to the event the media was full of "THE SKY IS FALLING!" stories. But it's really been a big 'nothing-burger' of an event. No big uptick in public health problems. No massive change in taxes. And sadly no big change in the money going to police force budgets aimed at fighting the illegal drug trade.

But it's still early days. Maybe the sky will still fall .

I found the link and posted it below. The island is Campobello Island in the Bay of Fundy. I don't blame them for being irate. It seems a simple thing to resolve, especially the truck is coming from Canada and going to Canada with no stops along the way.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/canada...s-border-maine
Old 14-11-2019, 18:57   #49

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW:
I doubt that incriminating E-mails were a significant factor in Spitzer's downfall.
Martin Lomasney, an old West End political boss from Boston, is best remembered for his warning to young politicians everywhere:
“Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink”*.
The saying was merely updated by Eliot Spitzer, adding: “never put it in email”.
* ☞ https://thewestendmuseum.org/the-lif...west-end-icon/
I didn’t know he had adapted that expression Gord. Thanks for the insight
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 14:14   #50
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We did have a spam bot get in that sent PM's. It was an "emergency" for the mod team, and it took administrators' skills to resolve the situation.

Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Yeah, and she never got back to me, even after I sent her the money for the airfare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Blame the admins. They deleted her reply giving her flight details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Well, there goes my chance of getting laid romance.
GIlow, if the advice on this thread is any indication, the flight details are still available somewhere in cyberspace. You gotta look harder - remember the course of true love never did run smooth.

Unless of course, the CF admin gurus have discovered to way to remove data once and for all from the internet/word wide webby thingy. If so, they would be better advised to sell their skills, not to giving them away for free on CF.

Or maybe more likely, one of them stole your identity, turned up at the airport at the appointed time and is living happily ever after with your soul mate.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 17:44   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname;3017884}Or maybe more likely, one of them stole your identity, turned up at the airport at the appointed time and is living happily ever after with [B
your [/B]soul mate.
Unless she's having her friend for dinner with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.