Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2018, 18:39   #16
cruiser

Re: Redirect ad pop ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingw View Post
I don't mind the benign banner ads so much, but any type of pop-up or something I have to close, move or silence I make a point of NEVER buying anything from them, and if they have any contact info, I send them an e-mail letting them know that.
The ones I'm referring to and I believe the OP is also referring to actually freeze up the device and require a restart. Then the worm or whatever it's called, gets into the device the next time we go to the cruisers forum site. It doesn't happen at any other site on the internet that we view. ONLY THE CRUISERS FORUM AND SAILNET. And I repeat... ONLY AT THE CRUISERS FORUM AND SAILNET.

Webmaster please take note and stop blaming the users of the site.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 18:53   #17

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The ones I'm referring to and I believe the OP is also referring to actually freeze up the device and require a restart. Then the worm or whatever it's called, gets into the device the next time we go to the cruisers forum site. It doesn't happen at any other site on the internet that we view. ONLY THE CRUISERS FORUM AND SAILNET. And I repeat... ONLY AT THE CRUISERS FORUM AND SAILNET.

Webmaster please take note and stop blaming the users of the site.

You keep saying this as if it is true and even a casual read of the thread suggests that other sites are affected. One user mentioned WeatherUnderground. During it’s peak I was getting them on many other sites including WeatherUnderground but also others even some major news sites. This one didn’t even pop up as the most frequent. They seem to be tailing off for me just about everywhere but I still get them occasionally and not on this site. It seems to be different for everyone based on the other cookies and stuff they have on their computer.
I support your encouragement of the webmaster to make the site as safe as possible but this site is not even close to the only one on the internet that is affected so you can repeat it all you want and still not be correct.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 19:09   #18

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
You keep saying this as if it is true and even a casual read of the thread suggests that other sites are affected. One user mentioned WeatherUnderground. During it’s peak I was getting them on many other sites including WeatherUnderground but also others even some major news sites. This one didn’t even pop up as the most frequent. They seem to be tailing off for me just about everywhere but I still get them occasionally and not on this site. It seems to be different for everyone based on the other cookies and stuff they have on their computer.
I support your encouragement of the webmaster to make the site as safe as possible but this site is not even close to the only one on the internet that is affected so you can repeat it all you want and still not be correct.
May not be correct for you but is the same result that I am getting, that is so far only this site, requiring a shutdown and restart.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 19:58   #19
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

The offending item starts with "CONGRATULATIONS" after it takes over the screen. You must close the tab to escape. It has appeared on various sites during the past 6 months, but suddenly it was coming up every time I would go to a Trawler or Cruisers forum from an email notice. I stopped using both forums until yesterday and it has stopped.

If you ask the admins they tell you they don't select the advertisements. True. But they do select the Auction Broker or Service.

DEAR ADMINS, it would behoove you to contact your banner auction service and complain about the bogus takeover CONGRATULATIONS ad being served up here. Yes, it uses JS. Maybe it is time to contract with a more ethical and careful banner auction broker.

PS to everyone: why not sign up and pay for an account here? You get far less ads with a paid account, nothing inserted between posts.
Old 26-11-2018, 21:01   #20

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Happens on my iPhone and never on my PC. No other website has shown the same symptoms. I stopped using my phone for cruisersforum. I suspect it does have something to do with this website.

I cleared all history and temporarily (or permanently) working.
Old 26-11-2018, 21:23   #21

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

I’m using an iPad for my browsing of this and other sites, including WeatherUnderground. I have only been hit by the Congratulations adware on my local newspaper’s site, never on this site or Trawler Forum. If your device is iOS based, the best way to remove this annoyance is to first, completely close the browser (Safari in my case), then go to Settings > Safari and make sure the Block Popups setting is turned on. Once I did that, I haven’t had any issues.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 06:47   #22

Boat: MacGregor 26

My pop up blocker is on and it still happens
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 09:47   #23
cruiser

My popup blocker is on and it still happens.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 20:48   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I seem to have gotten rid of it. I cleared my browser history and cookies. Then I did a power off, waited a few seconds and then powered back up.

I had tried clearing the history before but didn’t power down after. That didn’t work.
Old 28-11-2018, 20:59   #25

Boat: Island Packet 349

It looks like the site fixed it. I did not do anything, but it stopped.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:29   #26

I took about a week break from the site and didn’t get it at all. Came back and BAM, first page pop up redirect. Today it just happened again.

I’d like to stress this point, this is the ONLY website I have this problem on
Old 09-12-2018, 06:46   #27

Boat: naver 29

If you have some basic computer knowledge theres a project called pi-hole,prevents ads across all your devices ,i've been using it for a few days and its great,no ads,sites load quicker,few sites detect it,it prevents the ads from downloading whereas browser based blockers tend to just hide the ads.

https://pi-hole.net/
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:30   #28

This is happening on my iPhone.

You can use your router to filter ad providers also.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:57   #29

Boat: naver 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
This is happening on my iPhone.

You can use your router to filter ad providers also.
How? Interested! Any links?
martinworswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinworswick View Post
How? Interested! Any links?
It may be similar to pie hole

https://www.connectify.me/blog/ad-bl...se-ad-blocker/

Basically you point your DNS to ones that filter out ad provides. Or you add ad providers to the blocked sites on your router