Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 13:34   #31

Re: Annoying popups appear constantly on this forum with iPad. Please fix!

Extremely annoying and I have given up using my tablet as all I get is the pop up.

If it keeps up I will likely not be visiting this site much any more.

Who is the Einstein that came up with this idea.... WRONG.

It is not just an ipad error I use windows laptop and android phone and tablet.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 13:43   #32

Nope - not resolved! Just closed four boxes to be able to get to this page to reply to you! I am on an iPhone. (I can't use the iPhone app because there are gremlins with that too. If I search for something I get a list telling me the number of the last post in each of the threads that contain that word. But, when I go to the thread it's as if several posts at the end of the thread just don't exist!)
Regattah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 13:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post
Extremely annoying and I have given up using my tablet as all I get is the pop up.

If it keeps up I will likely not be visiting this site much any more.

Who is the Einstein that came up with this idea.... WRONG.

It is not just an ipad error I use windows laptop and android phone and tablet.
Right. It occurs on my android as well. For those of us who habitually clear private data to maintain some semblance of privacy, your 'cookie' to stop the popup is useless.

The whole popup thing on OpenCPN strikes me as unprofessional and akin to behaviour some exibit in preparing emails with ALL CAPS, variable fonts and color for emphasis. Imbecilic.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 13:48   #34

regattah. go to settings, safari, and clear your history, then clear your cookies/cache. Otherwise, your browser will continue to use old settings until they are cleared.

After the browser cache is cleared, as long as cookies are allowed for the site, the popup for the cruiserforum app and the popup for the newsfeed will appear once.
cattar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 13:53   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Many features on the site are driven by cookie exchange and not all cookies are inherently bad or invade privacy.

We use cookies to keep you logged in at page changes, bring you back to the newest unread post in a thread you've been following etc. You can set devices to allow cookie exchange with trusted sites or those you specifically call out. The new newsletter is another site feature and NOT advertising and we hope it will be a good addition.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 14:05   #36

apple fans (&probably androids too)
Clear the browser caches, turn on the cookies & see the popups once. iphone & laptop.

janet h & the techies

Since I prefer not to be tracked by websites, I'd rather turn off javascript rather than turn on cookies. I do cookies to post. I haven't noticed that cookies improve the experience of this site or any other.

Regarding the cruisersforum app, I prefer the website since it works reliably and uses less battery power.

As for the newsfeed popup ad. I thought it was malware.
I don't read popups, I close them and find a way to stop them.
I'd prefer to see an ad for a newsfeed at the top of the webpage (something like the existing ad for the cruisersforum signup.) I'd prefer a click box option that sent me to a sample of the newsfeed in addition or instead of the click box asking for a signup.
Is there some way to see or signup for this newsfeed other than through the popup ad?
Old 14-10-2014, 14:11   #37

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Do these recent additions increase the MB consumption we use when on this site?

I've abandoned some news sites because of the video pop-ups.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 17:00   #38
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

First off, sorry for the issues. It was a cut & paste mistake where one line of code was mucked up and caused the issues. Since it was JavaScript it was cached and so we had to push out the update but people kept seeing the old file that was cached in their browser. Please follow the steps outlined above to clear your cache. Control+F5 forces a hard refresh of the page as well.

Most folks disabled 3rd party cookies (the ones that track you around the net). The cookie that runs this modal window is a 1st party cookie. This cookie has nothing to do with privacy concerns, only CruisersForum.com can access and read this cookie, it's safe.

The system is setup to show this modal window once to a member every 45 days and once every 2 days for guests. A single click closes the window and sets the timer until the next time it's shown.

For our member who also block 1st party cookies, we are going to add a profile field so you can disabled the modal window which will suppress the modal window once you are logged in.

This modal window does not increase the overhead of the page loads in any meaningful way. The background image is about the same size as a normal banner ad and will be cached after the first time it's loaded (zero extra bandwidth after that).

The email is actually very nice sending our viewers a summary email of new discussions taking place here on CF. So far it's been well received and we have about 1,300 people who are visiting the site every day as a result of the emails.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 16:01   #39

Andy R, thanks for the login change.

Also consider having a signup for the newsfeed somewhere else on the site.
I read the site some days and not other days depending on my schedule. It'd be interesting to have an option of a daily or weekly email of recent topics.
I wondered whether this newsfeed popup was legit since there is no other mention of it or signup for it on the site, others may wonder about that as well.
Old 24-10-2014, 18:22   #40

Boat: Catalina 22

There is no way to click on it to close it on my Android browser.
So everytime I try to come on the forum, it gets buried by a full screen pop up. Can't see or do anything on the forum. Makes it ratheruseless and defeats the purpose of a forum. If it keeps up, I reckon I'll just log out permanantly and mosey on down the road.
Sandbox Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 20:24   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox Sailor View Post
There is no way to click on it to close it on my Android browser.
So everytime I try to come on the forum, it gets buried by a full screen pop up. Can't see or do anything on the forum. Makes it ratheruseless and defeats the purpose of a forum. If it keeps up, I reckon I'll just log out permanantly and mosey on down the road.
I have the same problem on my iphone. The pop up can't be closed and hides the main screen. I no longer visit the forum on my phone. Is that the result that was intended? This is bloody ridiculous.

At least on my iPad I can close the window, though it don't see why I should have to.
Old 24-10-2014, 20:50   #42

Here's what works on iphone, probably works on android too.

Expand the offending box,
Then contract the box,
Then the X will click to close
* * * * * or
Before clicking to a new page,
Contract cruisersforum to 1/2 width,
Then click to the new page,
And the X will click to close immediately
* * * * * or
Turn off javascript in browser settings,
The box will not appear

That popup box continues to be a bother.
Old 26-10-2014, 17:43   #43
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

First off, I'm sorry you all are having issues. Thanks for your feedback & patience as we work out the bugs.

I've tested on my iPhone and the two main ways to close the box work.
1) Click on the X in the top right corner
2) Click on the background (greyed out content) and that will close the box

It's set to only show this once every couple of months to members who are logged in. For guests who are not logged in, it shows once in 48 hours after it's been closed.

Can you all please provide specific browser and OS info?

I've tested with an iPhone 5 running iOS7 using up-to-date versions Chrome & Safari. Clicking on the grey background and the X is working for me and it no longer pop-ups once I click (until the amount of time passes).

For those of you who it's working properly and you are able to close and no longer see the pop-up, please let us know what OS and browser so we can confirm it's working.

Thanks again for your patience as we try and resolve any outlier issues in this setup.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57   #44

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
First off, I'm sorry you all are having issues. Thanks for your feedback & patience as we work out the bugs.

I've tested on my iPhone and the two main ways to close the box work.
1) Click on the X in the top right corner
2) Click on the background (greyed out content) and that will close the box

It's set to only show this once every couple of months to members who are logged in. For guests who are not logged in, it shows once in 48 hours after it's been closed.

Can you all please provide specific browser and OS info?

I've tested with an iPhone 5 running iOS7 using up-to-date versions Chrome & Safari. Clicking on the grey background and the X is working for me and it no longer pop-ups once I click (until the amount of time passes).

For those of you who it's working properly and you are able to close and no longer see the pop-up, please let us know what OS and browser so we can confirm it's working.

Thanks again for your patience as we try and resolve any outlier issues in this setup.
All of my webkit based browsers have the problem. In some thread message replies I make, I have to click window close buttons on multiple popups just to post a single message.

Tags
Ipad, lease, rum