Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 11:12   #1

Boat: 1986 Catalina 27
Portland to Newburyport

I plan to sail from peaks island to newburyport this summer on my 27 foot sailboat, and i wanted to know if anyone has sailed in or around newburyport. what marina would you suggest? I'm basically poor, so should i get a slip or a mooring? hows the sail down and back? any advice will help a lot
Sailuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:10   #2

Re: Portland to Newburyport

hi Sailuke ! The sail up to Peaks is usually good! We usually leave about 5-6 am! It takes us 10-12 hrs. with 15 to 18 kt winds, with a 34 ft waterline. We have not had much luck sailing back down, as the winds are scarce! This could, or is because we go in August. You would want to contact the Newburyport Harbor Masters office for info on rates, and availability for your time frame. They have both dock and transient mooring! Good Luck !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:12   #3
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Newburyport is small. You can probably anchor between Woodbridge Island and Water Street. I have not done so.

I suggest you call the harbourmaster and find out specifics to your needs. There might be a mooring available to rent and they can direct you to marinas.

I suggest the Windward Yacht Yard as I used them for a few years, but I haven't been in contact with them in a while so I don't know who runs things there now. Be advised currents in the river can be strong.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:01   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The Newburyport municipal dock is a fantastic location, and they even have a few moorings (they claim 4, but last time I was there I only saw a couple.)

It's first come, first serve. Come mid-week and you should be OK. Be aware that there is a day rate, and an overnight rate. Unless you come late and leave early the next day, you end up paying both for your whole stay.

Failing that, there are a number of good marinas in the area, check Active Captain for details.

I wouldn't count on anchoring. The current in the Merrimack is strong, and reverses, and there's not many places out of the channel that would work. But maybe someone local knows of a good spot I haven't found yet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portland