Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 23:47   #1

The Name Says it All

Hello to everyone here.
Yes right now it is a dream, but hopefully soon. My youngest turns 18 in three years, so my plan is to start the process now. I live about an hour from Newport Beach in southern California, so i do have access to the ocean and sailing classes. The wife is not really on board yet (ok maybe a little pun there), but she did say if I took the classes and went out on my own a few times, she would go. It seems the biggest problem I am going to have is finding permanent mooring when I get a boat.

The dream is to leave this "you owe me" society and find others who take responsibility for their own lives, and to go see the world.

I also just purchased a used Tamaya sextant which I have no idea how to use. I plan on getting a bubble horizon to practice and then go to the beach and practice. If anyone knows of classes being held in so cal, please send me the info.
Alan
Alansdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 00:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Hi Alan - good luck with the dream. Sailing is a wonderful pastime and being on the water the best therapy. This is a good place to get answers to any questions you might have. My son is aproaching 30 now and we love to go cruising together. Hopefully your family will embrace it too.
-Greg,

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 00:17   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
I's fortunate. My post-previous-boats Girlfriend is a bit excited with my future boat acquisition and is looking forward to take boating classes. Wish you the same.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 02:50   #4

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansdream View Post

It seems the biggest problem I am going to have is finding permanent mooring when I get a boat.
I'd agree with that. What about a slip. Much easier to find and work on your boat. Newport is one of the mo$t co$tly place to start.

You don't say which direction you are from Newport, but there's plenty of slips in San Pedro area right now I believe.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:45   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,
Old 07-10-2010, 13:04   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 13:19   #7

Tousche, (think thats how you spell it). my youngest also is out in 06/2013, and so am i...setting sail to take advantage of still being young and saying to heck with the 9-5, keep up with the jones, contribute to a 401k, and retire at 65 attitude..good luck with your dreams and see you out there...

p.s. which way is east?
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 13:19   #8

Boat: Downeast Flybridge - 45 Grace
Thumbs up Go for it:)

[QUOTE=Alansdream;521713]The dream is to leave this "you owe me" society and find others who take responsibility for their own lives, and to go see the world.

Hi Alan and welcome! New to this life as well. We had a dream and now it is coming thru. Kids turned 21 and 19 and now they need to take care of themselves. Purchased a boat, 45ft Trawler and will be closing on it 10/15/10. Will become full liveaboard early 2011. We waited long enough.
It is our time to go and see the world wonders.
Go for it Alan!!!
adriadream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 13:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
If youi plan on your wife going with you, take the classes with her or get her to take classes on her own. The city of Newport Beach offers, at least they used to, basic sail training classes in sabots. I can't emphasize how much better it is to learn the basics of wind, sails and waves in a small boat. The reaction to input is so quick that you are forced to learn quickly. It also helps to learn how to sail in a ghost of wind to keep from having to paddle home.

My wife took the training. She'd sailed with me from St Pete to the Chesapeake, two deliveries from SF to Newport and a year of sailing around SoCal. Sailing on a big boat, she just hadn't got the idea of making the boat move under sail. Since we were leaving for the Marquesas, she thought it might be a good idea if she learned to handle the boat if I fell overboard. The courses turned on the light for her and she transfered the knowledge to our W32.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 14:41   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
welcome--goood luck and smooth sailing. san pedro isnt a bad place for sailing either-- good winds most of the time.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 14:44   #11
CLOD

Boat: none
welcome, we're nothing if not a collection of dreamers here
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote