Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2006, 09:25   #1

Boat: Ecco Domani - 37' Lord Nelson Victory Tug
Power Cruising in General

My husband & I have a 37' Lord Nelson Victory Tug. She is 13.6 foot wide with a 3.6" draft. We live in Washington State and are wondering if this boat would handle cruising in the tropic areas (Mexico, Central America, Panama Canal and then north to Carribean, etc.) We would most likely ship her to CA to be put in there as we're not crazy about going down the coast of WA/OR/CA. Can anyone talk about this scenario and/or whether this would be an okay boat? Also, in power cruising areas such as this, are there many who do this? Is it feasible or foolhearty? We have been sailors in the past (33' Truant Pilothouse) and have thought of selling the tug and going back to sail for an adventure such as this. Would that be the preferred choice? Any and all comments/suggestions, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lynne
laflood@attbi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 09:45   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
I dont know how good a sea boat she is, but from looking a a couple of others on the web, I would be very concerned by the size of the windows in bad weather. She would not be my choice in open sea conditions.
Old 16-03-2006, 11:41   #3

Maybe you could post some photos of your boat here on the forum?

That could help out in forming an opinion? But not a absolute opinion?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2006, 12:02   #4

Here is a picture of our boat.

[/IMG]
Old 16-03-2006, 13:59   #5

Very nice!!

But, the only problem is the cost of fuel to take a long voyage on.

And that boat wouldn't do "that" great in a very bad storm. If so? It would be one very rough ride!!

But overall. You got one lovely tug!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 06:55   #6

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Lynne:

Generally speaking, your cruising plans would seem reasonable IF done in season (avoiding cyclonic storms) and IF you feel both your boat and your mechanical & seamanship skills are up to the challenge. (For my cavaet, see below). Were I you, I'd probably spend some time together building a basic passage plan, noting distances between major ports/fueling sources, factoring in the fuel burn that onboard power generation will require, and evaluating the boat's range vs. the mission. This can be easily and enjoyably done with a basic nav software program & large scale charts, and with a relevant planning guide. John & Pat Rains have published a book geared to this trip, titled something like 'FL to CA via Panama Canal' which I think you'll find quite helpful. I'd probably want my boat's range to = 2X passage distance but that may not be feasible. I'd consider the age, reputation and past performance of the main engine & would weigh those thoughts heavily. Unfortunately, a Victory Tug doesn't lend itself easily to a 'get home' power system, so that would be a puzzle I'd want to investigate further. Perhaps you can modify your generator for belt drive of the main shaft.

The one cavaet I'd offer to your plans is how you plan to handle heavy weather at sea. For just the reason you want to avoid the West Coast run, it's reasonable to wonder how you and your boat will deal with rough weather at some point in the run south. Especially WRT to the occasional Papagayo and Tehautepech blows (sorry for the butchered spelling), which are heavy Caribbean winds subsequently funneled thru the tall Central American mountains and out onto the Central American West Coast, you may simply have to accept a multi-day blow that will drive you several hundred miles to sea. There are strategies in weather monitoring and route planning that mitigate this thread, and storm management tactics and gear which help you to cope with the storms; researching and planning on how to deal with these issues would be part of the fun & the challenge for some of us, and that's part of what you'll be signing up for if you wish to proceed via thoughtful planning. (You'll find the Rains have much to say about this, as most of their experiences on this run in both directions are making time-sensitive deliveries in power boats).

Personally, I think your idea sounds like both good fun and quite an adventure, and I don't think it presents problems which can't be resolved to your satisfaction. If you like your boat and are attracted to spending significant time in that region of the world, then I'd encourage you to consider it.

Jack
Old 17-03-2006, 08:26   #7

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Lord Nelson

I agree with the previous post on all points. I am not familiar with your boat boat is does look as though it would motor slowly towards large waves, and that could be one storm tactic. My first thought when you posed the question was that you must keep the diesel running, and that usually involves good fuel filters and a good knowledge of them. A back up drive system would be a good idea. Having said that many fishing boats have gone to sea for many years without a back up drive system. But they could generally arrange a tow from another boat. It is common to stay in touch in rough weather. I like the look of your boat. Years ago when I was a Bayliner dealer I met some folks from your area that were tug boat fans. We were at a Bayliner convention on Orcas Island. A cruise up through the inside passage in BC waters would be a good area to put some miles on your boat, and a trip down the outside of Vancouver Island might test the ocean abilities. There are quite a few rocks out there that need avoiding. One last thought. Check on the adventures of other LN owners.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 09:50   #8

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Personally I would strongly advice you against it. Your boat looks great BUT, the problem is 'all boats are built for a special or fairly narrow purpose and sea condition'. Off-shore/deep sea going is definaterly NOT the purpose of your boat.
I would rather look for a proven trawler type boat with an economical single engine for great autonomy pluss a wing engine to get you out of trouble. Failing that, a sailing boat of sound construction with an outboard engine as a spare.

Good luck with your venture!
sinbad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 11:03   #9

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Heavy roller

A friend of mine had a boat just like yours and complained bitterly about how the boat would roll in the smallest of waves. In fact he couldn't hold a desired heading in Puget Sound headed from Shilshole towards Pt. Townsend with windwaves anywhere near the beam.

At least take your boat into the Straight of Juan De Fuca when there are waves and wind (especially when the wind is against a full tidal flow). Attempt then to make various headings.....it may open your eyes.

Even if fitted with stabilizers I doubt that your hull would be safe at sea.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 11:46   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Is this the hull biult in Asia somewhere??? Does it have two engines built down in a very compact engine room aft under the aft deck??
If yes, thyen it has a very flat low draft hull. It is a enclosed waterway boat in reality. One main issue with it's design, are the rudders. They need to be bigger. The stearing is next to useless. Apart from that, it seems to be a great boat. IF it is the one I am thinking of that is.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 14:06   #11

Thanks everyone for your input. We've pretty much decided that if we were to do this it would not be in this boat. FYI, we cruise about 4 to 5 months a year and have been in heavy seas from British Columbia to Alaska, crossing Straits of Juan de Fuca & Georgia, rounding Cape Caution, etc. You are right, she does not like beam seas. She does have a very large rudder but with a draft of 3 1/2' she is quite the roller. What she can do however is take heavy wind and current. We've been very impressed with that aspect of her. But, in conclusion, we have to agree with all of you, she will not be going off shore (at least with us). Again, thanks for the input.

BTW, I can't get my email changed on this site and it is incorrect. Correct email is laflood@comcast.net. If anyone knows how to get it changed on here I'd love to hear from you.!
Old 22-03-2006, 15:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
email seems ok

Your email comes up as:
laflood@comcast.net
just as you wish. I see no problem

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote