Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2022, 20:11   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
manual diaphragm bildgepump discharge though hull above or below waterline?

Mine is discharging below waterline. Is there a reason for this?
I am hauling out for some maintenance. I am going fill and glass over old 1-1/2" through hole for head discharge (i switched to composting toilet and no longer need it). I am also addressing 4 bronze Apollo valves threaded onto though-hull by adding adapter plates so things are not cross threaded.

One of Apollo valves threaded into 1-1/2" through-hull services a hose for manual diaphragm emergency bilge pump.
Can't that discharge above waterline? I would gladly plug two 1-1/2" though-hulls.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 22:07   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: manual diaphragm bildgepump discharge though hull above or below waterline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Can't that discharge above waterline?
Absolutely!
Underwater discharge increases pumping effort and slows down the flow.
It also adds another potential leak/flood point.
By all means go to an above waterline discharge.
Old 15-09-2022, 22:57   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

IMHO - always above (well above) the waterline or into a self draining cockpit.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 09:13   #4

Nice. So I don't suppose someone can point me to write up on plugging 1-1/2" holes with polyester. I will try to get to 12:1 bevel as best as I can, I have heavy glass tape from when I was rebuilding my bulkhead in 2017. I wonder if resin is still good.
Old 16-09-2022, 10:25   #5
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

You must use epoxy resin, not polyester. There is a good explanation of how to do this in "This Old Boat" by Don Casey. After beveling, clean with acetone. Basically, you attach a nonstick surface, for instance waxed plasticine, to the inside so it conforms to the curve of the hull, then apply multiple layers of woven cloth and resin over the hole on the other side, covering the bevels and extending out beyond the circumference of the hole.

For each layer wet the surface with epoxy on a paintbrush, apply the cloth, remove bubbles, and repeat until you have about 5 layers. Wipe up drips of epoxy resin. It should generate heat as it cures. When cured but still tacky, repeat with more layers until new layers cover beyond bevelled surface on the outside. Then remove the nonstick surface on the inside and apply more layers to the other side until bevelled surface is covered. Use a sanding grinder to smooth and paint.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 10:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
You must use epoxy resin, not polyester. There is a good explanation of how to do this in "This Old Boat" by Don Casey. After beveling, clean with acetone. Basically, you attach a nonstick surface, for instance waxed plasticine, to the inside so it conforms to the curve of the hull, then apply multiple layers of woven cloth and resin over the hole on the other side, covering the bevels and extending out beyond the circumference of the hole.

For each layer wet the surface with epoxy on a paintbrush, apply the cloth, remove bubbles, and repeat until you have about 5 layers. Wipe up drips of epoxy resin. It should generate heat as it cures. When cured but still tacky, repeat with more layers until new layers cover beyond bevelled surface on the outside. Then remove the nonstick surface on the inside and apply more layers to the other side until bevelled surface is covered. Use a sanding grinder to smooth and paint.
Boat is laid up in polyester. I have epoxy barrier coat that i will put on the outside to any exposed areas. If boat was done using epoxy, I would use epoxy, since its polyester, other than strength, I don't see a reason for epoxy. Its stronger, but also more expensive, harder, more time consuming to work with.
Old 16-09-2022, 20:02   #7

Polyester is fine, why mix apples with oranges?
You might consider saving a thru hull, just in case you develop a need for more water at a later date. It could be plugged for now.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2022, 05:19   #8

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Buy a nipple and carefully examine the threads on the valves. A new valve is not going to ruin your new adaptor plate. Screwing in a nipple into your old valves by hand will give you a feel for the threads. Pipe taps are expensive but maybe you can borrow one. Don’t over cut the female threads. A tap will chase out tiny defects but if the old valves have bad threads it’s better just to dump them.
We would only use epoxy and triaxial glass.
The manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, diaphragm, hull, pump, water