Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 13:51   #1

Boat: Islander 34
composting head substrate in the south pacific?

hey all,

I installed an Airhead composting toilet on s/v X-Wing, and I am very happy with it. we get about two weeks between changes, and we use a brick and a half of coconut coir when we change over. we have been using these bricks: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LFMPQXL/

we are now cruising in French Polynesia, headed westward, and we have about three changes worth of coconut coir bricks left. we'd rather find something local to use instead of having incoming crew bring us bricks from the US.

what substrate are you using in the south pacific? where do you get it? there's a lot of coconut here, obviously, but I haven't come across anyone shredding up the coir, and on a 34' boat there's no room to carry a dedicated shredder, lol...
Old 03-07-2022, 18:25   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: composting head substrate in the south pacific?

Perhaps you have a contact who could ship it to you, you could have a few bricks shipped to Noumea (it will have to go through Customs, and I don't envy you explaining what it is for, my French is pretty limited.) You can arrange it beforehand to avoid duty on it. That involves letter writing in French, which may be more doable. It IS for a yacht in transit.

Similarly, you could have it shipped to Australia. But honestly, if you're having visitors, let them bring (between them) all you need to get to NZ or Oz. They should bring some kind of boat gift, you've just made it easy for them. Amazon will ship to them w/o a problem. There is also Amazon.au.

Ann
Old 03-07-2022, 18:33   #3

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Perhaps you have a contact who could ship it to you, you could have a few bricks shipped to Noumea (it will have to go through Customs, and I don't envy you explaining what it is for, my French is pretty limited.) You can arrange it beforehand to avoid duty on it. That involves letter writing in French, which may be more doable. It IS for a yacht in transit.

Similarly, you could have it shipped to Australia. But honestly, if you're having visitors, let them bring (between them) all you need to get to NZ or Oz. They should bring some kind of boat gift, you've just made it easy for them. Amazon will ship to them w/o a problem. There is also Amazon.au.

Ann
I would not have any of my friends try to to take that stuff into Australia or New Zealand as they have very strict controls on the importation of natural materials. You should check with their customs beforehand if you can do it.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 22:03   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralog View Post
I would not have any of my friends try to to take that stuff into Australia or New Zealand as they have very strict controls on the importation of natural materials. You should check with their customs beforehand if you can do it.
A site for biosecurity info for Aust.
https://bicon.agriculture.gov.au/BiconWeb4.0

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 22:05   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L

Bunnings in NZ and AUS sells coir bricks - we use 1.5 for our Nature’s Head so likely the same size as the OP. Look at buying from NZ and ship to Rarotonga.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, posting, south pacific