Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2022, 23:09   #1

Cruising A New Used Boat!

Hello Everyone,
In Riverside, California here. Just picked up a used Chris Craft on a trailer that needs some work to get it running right. Since I owned a small marine service in LA Harbor it won't be that big of a deal.

Looking for a few people that want to tinker with me on it, get it running and then take it out to Catalina and Lake Havasu throughout the year.

The hull is sound. Once it's had a good bow to stern cleaning, going to do new upholstery throughout, probably rebuild the engine, progressively add new electronics, rewire and update to LED lighting.

If you're a female or male in Perris, Riverside, Corona, etc. and want to tinker over beers drop me a note. I'm not in a huge rush to get it into the water, but will be working in it over the next few months to make sure everything it's taken care of and she is seaworthy.

I've had several boats (power and sail) and even one ship. Moved to Riverside nearly 5 years ago and decided it's time to get back into the water!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220501_234232305.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	257496  
PushingThePen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 16:29   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Cruising A New Used Boat!

Cool project. I’m in Toronto so cant help much. I have a sailboat and Dinghy in a club but moved from a SeaRay Sedan with twin diesels to a cute 40hp Yanmar.
I’m familiar with your Chris. I’ve boated beside many of them. There are two huge issues to talk about. The stern drive and the old block. The did build it with twins but rare. They are not great on gas but room to improve the engine. If it’s an early OMC drive you need someone really clever to help you. If it’s a Merc you’re golden.
The intake manifolds all crack at the choke. The choke was junk anyway. I’ve built pairs with edelbrock performer 650 Holley vacuum secondary with the brown tow truck cam. Holley has a marine whistle kit and extended float bowls extra long transfer tubes and brass floats. Rare so I’ve just got them from junk yards and built them.
Merc did nothing on the old heads so up to you but the rockers and pushrods are likely shot and oil seals on heads. 160 roller rockers and rods
When you get around to looking at those big sliding window photograph and measure any surviving nylon clip. I have the data for most of these clips in 3D print and can make you some. The radar arch was a cool expensive option. Makes me guess it may be a twin. They can damage the laminate in the coach roof balsa. Check for soft spots.
Some years the swim platforms were terrible. Plywood and poorly sealed on the underside. I helped replace one with a teak one. Welcome back
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, used boat