Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2008, 05:04   #1

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Taxes in VA???

We finally made it to Norfolk... We started from CT and arrived here at Waterside Marina on Friday. The boat next to me promptly informed me that if I am here on Jan 1, 2009, (which I will be, in fact we will be here until the 18th), that we will have to pay VA property tax. Any one know if this is correct? Thanks for any info anyone may have on this $ issue $.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 06:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Technically yes but given you are not really keeping your boat here you don't have to worry. They do collect data from state boat registrations so a VA registered boat is automagically taxed. They also collect from US documented boats based on the owners address.

No one will know and you really won't be staying at Waterside for very long. You need to exceed the time limit before they say you owe the tax. Just passing through on Jan is not a criteria alone. waterside only has transient slips any way so no one from the City is going to come around checking. Personal property taxes are collected by the city or the county not the state. Norfolk is a city and there is no county. The state will collect a Use Tax if you keep your boat here after so many days. The tax is 2000 or 5.5% whatever is less and has nothing at all to do with personal property taxes applied on boats, cars, trucks, trailers and RV's.

If you keep your boat at a marina for extended periods of time you do owe property tax and the use tax even if you are not a VA resident. That is true for all states that collect taxes. It is also possible to collect it if they can show you just moved your boat on Jan 1 to avoid the tax and brought it back. VA is sort of strict but FL and MD are very aggressive at it. They will actively search for violations. VA uses normal means available to the cities and counties to try and find everyone.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 12:25   #3

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Paul,

Thanks for the reply, I agree with you... I think I will be okay and will just stay put until jan 18 when we plan on continuing South.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 18:45   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
A quick source of local tax info can be the local yacht broker, prowling any significant marine center. They are constantly registering and moving boats between nearby states and know the local loopholes and customs.

Not a perfect source, but a quick start.

Just make sure you pay tax somewhere. It's only fare.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 19:08   #5

Boat: Reuel Parker design Egret 31.5 Yawl
You can go over to Hampton, Joy's Marina is nice and friendly. There is no tax there in Hampton on boats. See joysmarina.com
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes