Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2018, 07:01   #1

Which charge rate?

I have a ProMariner ProNautics 1240 3 stage charger that can have the charge rates set according to battery types. I have Interstate Deepcycle group 27 batteries.

The 2 choices for flooded wet cell batteries are:

1) 14.8v conditioning/ 12.8-13.6v Auto Maintain
2) 14.7v conditioning/ 12.8-13.4v auto maintain.

Not seeing the the charge rate specs on Intetstates website. Does it really matter which I choice between the 2? On the surface to someone who is battery illiterate, the 2 choices seem so close that either is fine. What do those of you with a clear comprehensive of these choices recommend?
Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:55   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Which charge rate?

I recommend a phone call to Interstate to learn their recommendations.. and then I think the ProNautic alos has a user-settable option of one of those two -- or one of the other -- pre-programmed profiles don't match Interstate's recommendation exactly.

"Deep cycle" and 12V Interstate G27s in the same sentence is marketing-speak for "dual-purpose."

-Chris
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

First off, charge rate means amps, nothing to do with those two choices. How large is your bank in AH?

Next, I expect by "conditioning" there they mean the Absorb voltage setpoint, and "auto maintain" means Float.

Third, Interstate is a marketing / distribution company, does not make its own batts, pretty sure made by JCI, meh, generally not great quality batts actually suitable for deep cycling usage. But fine, batteries are a consumable anyway, just FYI for next time.

But you may not get the same level of tech support you would from better makers like Trojan, Deka/East Penn, U.S. Battery, Crown, Superior or Rolls/Surette.

In which case I'd use the lower setting, except if you are trying to charge faster for some reason.

Note that charger should allow you to set completely custom setpoints, so if you do get precise specs for that model you can match them.

Also, adjust Absorb Hold Time if possible so that most cycles, trailing amps at the higher voltage falls to around .01C or even .005C before dropping to Float.

Back off a bit when not cycling if you notice you need to keep adding water more frequently than you like.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 16:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
First off, charge rate means amps, nothing to do with those two choices. How large is your bank in AH?

Next, I expect by "conditioning" there they mean the Absorb voltage setpoint, and "auto maintain" means Float.

My bad, didnt mean charge rate, but charger settings. Yes on the Absorption and Float setpoints. Was just stating how ProMariner has it stated.
AH.... now thats where my battery illiterate part comes to play.

They are just the standard Group 27 Deep Cycle marine battery by Interstate spec'd by CCA's. Not sure how to convert to AH
Old 09-10-2018, 19:35   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
My bad, didnt mean charge rate, but charger settings. Yes on the Absorption and Float setpoints. Was just stating how ProMariner has it stated.
AH.... now thats where my battery illiterate part comes to play.

They are just the standard Group 27 Deep Cycle marine battery by Interstate spec'd by CCA's. Not sure how to convert to AH

If they are spec'ed by CCA, they are NOT deep cycle batteries

Ambient temperature affects the desirable charge profile. I'd use the lower setting if over 20°C.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 19:44   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Interstate "Deep Cycle" G27 batteries are rated at 160 Minutes Reserve Capacity (RC) @ 25A (https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...ies/deep-cycle) which would suggest 67Ah at that rate. So possibly about 80Ah at the more commonly quoted C20 rate as a WAG (Wild Ass Guess).
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Intertate Deep-Cycle Batteries Charging Recommendations (used in solar industry) = Bulk @ 14.4V, Absorption 15.5 & Float 13.2
INTERSTATE DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES CHARGING RECOMMENDATION

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:12   #8

Thanks for the info guys.
GordMay, I also ran across that sight but was unsure since it stated ‘solar’, so I kept on looking.
The 14.4v bulk and 15.5 absorption....is that correct? I was under impression the 15.5 would be the equalization voltage

Edited. I find a lot of my confusion comes from the terms conditioning, bulk and absorption.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:23   #9

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Intertate Deep-Cycle Batteries Charging Recommendations (used in solar industry) = Bulk @ 14.4V, Absorption 15.5 & Float 13.2
INTERSTATE DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES CHARGING RECOMMENDATION

That seems odd. Usually bulk and absorption are the same voltage, and 15.5V seems more like an equalization charge. And I'd not really have expected Interstate to be one for recommending, or even mentioning, equalization.

-Chris
Old 10-10-2018, 04:27   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interstate’s “Marine/RV Battery Maintenance guide” doesn’t seem to reference charging voltages (except equalization @ 15.5 volts to 16.2 V)
http://www.intechtrailers.com/images...nce-Manual.pdf

Old 10-10-2018, 04:45   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As john61ct noted (post #3), Interstate’s automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA.

https://www.b4usa.com/interstate-battery/

Old 10-10-2018, 06:14   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys.
GordMay, I also ran across that sight but was unsure since it stated ‘solar’, so I kept on looking.
The 14.4v bulk and 15.5 absorption....is that correct? I was under impression the 15.5 would be the equalization voltage

Edited. I find a lot of my confusion comes from the terms conditioning, bulk and absorption.
Yes vendors very widely confuse the terms.

15.5V is indeed Equalization, only do manually

14.4V is Absorb (CV), Bulk is CC, striving to get to Absorb.

Float should only be after the bank is 100% Full.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:17   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If they are spec'ed by CCA, they are NOT deep cycle batteries
Plenty of quality makers will include CCA along with AH for their true deep cycle batts.

Interstate is not one of them.

> Ambient temperature affects the desirable charge profile. I'd use the lower setting if over 20°C.

That fine charger includes automatic temp compensation.

As well as user-adjustable custom setpoints, which should be used in this case.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:18   #14
cruiser

Quote:
My bad, didnt mean charge rate, but charger settings.
Note that ProMariner does also allow you to de-rate current to accommodate a limited upstream source.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:38   #15

FWIW, a response from Interstate.
Now I just need to align what terms they are using with the terms that ProMariner uses. Seems to be some conflict
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Copy of Marine Battery Charging Scheme only (3).pdf (43.8 KB, 35 views)