Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 19:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241
Re-painting saloon window surrounds

The white painted window surrounds to the saloon windows on our ageing L380 need re-doing. Has anybody got any tips on how best to do this.

I realise that we will need to mask the "window openings" & sanding of the old paint, but would appreciate any tips on preparation of the old painted "frames", what is the best type of paint, need for any special undercoat, etc.

Or was even thinking of instead getting some die cut vinyl skins to stick on the framed sections instead of paint. Would these last longer?

Intend to maybe re-paint/sticker with a very dark grey instead of white. See below for a Photoshopped rendition of the new look comparison.

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

Dave

Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 00:29   #2

Re: Re-painting saloon window surrounds

I'm just doing the same. For me, the surround is half timber and half silicone and this might be an issue with paint. I'm testing melamine edge banding ( the stuff they use to cover the edges of cupboard doors and shelve. It can be ironed on as it has bglue on the back. It will tolerate a sharp bend but will crack if you bend it too much. I used contact cement to glue it but cracked it rubbing in one corner. These edges are very much exposed to the heat, cold, powerful sun's rays and moisture from humidity. I don't know how it will last. Ask me next year and I'll tell you how it went. BTW the original was real wood edge banding,but most of it had rotted away. Might do it the same if themmelamine doesn't work
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
I'm just doing the same. For me, the surround is half timber and half silicone and this might be an issue with paint. I'm testing melamine edge banding ( the stuff they use to cover the edges of cupboard doors and shelve. It can be ironed on as it has bglue on the back. It will tolerate a sharp bend but will crack if you bend it too much. I used contact cement to glue it but cracked it rubbing in one corner. These edges are very much exposed to the heat, cold, powerful sun's rays and moisture from humidity. I don't know how it will last. Ask me next year and I'll tell you how it went. BTW the original was real wood edge banding,but most of it had rotted away. Might do it the same if themmelamine doesn't work
dlymn,
Thanks for your reply. However, in my case on the Lagoon 380, the "framing" is just paint on the outside of the polycarbonate sheets that run around the outside of the saloon. The paint is to conceal the actual internal structural fibreglass mouldings from the exterior to make it appear as "windows".

So we have to paint the polycarbonate sheets. The original white paint is now very thin & powdering off.

Dave
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
Old 04-06-2015, 04:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Duratrax R/C Car Paint

Tamiya America - Paints & Finishes

FASKOLOR Paint And Supplies

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 13:56   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi Dave
If I was doing this I would probably go for the die cut vinyl, I was watching some guys put a logo on a big racing yacht the other day, they really do a great job, most boot stripes these days are vinyl and they survive very harsh conditions. I saw a new Lagoon 39 the other day and they have used black around the windows now, looks very swish, I would use black sealant as well, it hides the dirt well.
Old 18-06-2015, 17:24   #6

Boat: 380 Lagoon Catamaran

Hello Dave

I have a 2003 380 and I did my surrounds last summer, well lets say I did half of them and will do the other half this summer.
I matched the off white in nitro cellulose lacquer, you could use acrylic lacquer if you have available . it adhered very well to the old finish I just wiped down with ISO alcohol sanded lightly with grey scotchbrite (equiv to about 600grit) re wiped with isoprop and I have excellent adhesion.
I did not test the old finish to see if it was lacquer , just guessed , would not think they would have used a two part polyurethane for the surrounds.

Anyway take your time masking the end result will show on the windows.
Nothing a sure thing in this paint world but it worked for me.

Oh ya if you can find a paint store that has a spray bomb machine and they can custom mix a couple of aerosols of lacquer it makes it easier than getting air and a touch up gun going.

My background is paint industry , own a paint supply store for 30 years, aircraft,automotive and marine.

Good luck
westcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 18:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
Hello Dave

I have a 2003 380 and I did my surrounds last summer, well lets say I did half of them and will do the other half this summer.
I matched the off white in nitro cellulose lacquer, you could use acrylic lacquer if you have available . it adhered very well to the old finish I just wiped down with ISO alcohol sanded lightly with grey scotchbrite (equiv to about 600grit) re wiped with isoprop and I have excellent adhesion.
I did not test the old finish to see if it was lacquer , just guessed , would not think they would have used a two part polyurethane for the surrounds.

Anyway take your time masking the end result will show on the windows.
Nothing a sure thing in this paint world but it worked for me.

Oh ya if you can find a paint store that has a spray bomb machine and they can custom mix a couple of aerosols of lacquer it makes it easier than getting air and a touch up gun going.

My background is paint industry , own a paint supply store for 30 years, aircraft,automotive and marine.

Good luck
Westcoast,
Thanks very much for this info. Much appreciated.

Dave
www.sea-breeze.com.au

Tags
paint, saloon, wind