Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 14:03   #1

Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dehler or Catalina

Greetings from Downunder.

I am looking to buy a monohull between 39 - 44' LOA built since 2000, to sail with crew to Australia from either the East Coast of the USA or, the Mediterranean. Top spend would be $150,000 ready to go.

Passage would be via the Panama timed to avoid the hurricane/cyclone seasons of both hemispheres.

I would greatly appreciate advice from owners or crew of the yachts specified in regard to structural integrity, reliability, and accessibility of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

Please do not derail the thread by suggesting I consider a Wavecruncher 42 or similar. Eventually, I will become a seller and I don't want an "orphan" on my hands. All the brands listed with the exception Dehler, are very well known in Australia and sell readily.

Thank you for reading this far.

Cheers and best,

Hedley
hrt1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 14:15   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dehler or Catalina

Hi there HRT... Welcome to CF..
No way would I suggest a Wavecruncher 42... the 38 is so much nicer...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 14:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Beneteau, Jeanneau, Dehler or Catalina

Welcome aboard!
Interesting first post!!

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 14:25   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

If you intend to sell it once you get to OZ you had better hurry.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1152520
Old 10-02-2013, 14:32   #5

Boat: Moody 36 (1981)

Hi,
Why not try a few? Many yachting schools use these models and a little expense may well show you if they are suitable. I know Mark on this site has toured the world in beneteau. I recently crossed the English Channel on mile building trip to the channel islands with a sailing school on a Defour 42 and instantly decided I'd never want one. I found the gear heavy to handle and cumbersome. I Did my Day Skipper in the Med on a Jeaneau 36 and loved the boat. Easy to handle single handed or short crewed (we are leaving the UK in just over a year and have extensively researched - and revised- our wish list. We settled for our current boat because it fitted our budget first and most of our cruising needs. The most important that both my wife, who is 4' 11" tall and myself could sail it alone in an emergency). In the end you are doing the sailing and you know your circumstances and budget. From our experience and over four years researching and looking at boats we finally decided most would do the job so we found one we really liked and could afford.
Searanger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 14:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Hedley.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 17:45   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hey Hedley.

Welcome to CF.

Doing research is a wonderful part of buying a boat.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 17:53   #8

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

I can not comment on post 2000 but had a 1992 42 foot Sun Odyssey. The engine access was wonderful. I thought the layout of all mechanicals was well done. Much better engine access than my current boat but won't change back for anything. This one has more room and comfort than that one. The Jeanneau is a very good boat in my opinion.

I have two friends with Beneteau and both are well pleased with their boats. I hope this helps even though it isn't the years you are looking for.

Welcome aboard and good luck. As mentioned above looking at boats is a lot of fun. I love going to the shows and touring all the boats.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 20:21   #9

Boat: Hanse 385

I'd add Hanse into that list. They are big over in Oz. You'd be able to pick up a 370 in that price range, maybe a 400.
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 20:34   #10

Boat: Elan 434

Hi Hedley,

Dont forget that if you are unloading the boat into Oz there are tax benifits if it is an American built boat. So the Catalina might be a good choice.

Had a Dehler 34, I like strong boats, so now have a Elan.

Good Luck
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 21:00   #11

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt1009 View Post
Greetings from Downunder.

I am looking to buy a monohull between 39 - 44' LOA built since 2000, to sail with crew to Australia from either the East Coast of the USA or, the Mediterranean. Top spend would be $150,000 ready to go.

Passage would be via the Panama timed to avoid the hurricane/cyclone seasons of both hemispheres.

I would greatly appreciate advice from owners or crew of the yachts specified in regard to structural integrity, reliability, and accessibility of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems.

Please do not derail the thread by suggesting I consider a Wavecruncher 42 or similar. Eventually, I will become a seller and I don't want an "orphan" on my hands. All the brands listed with the exception Dehler, are very well known in Australia and sell readily.

Thank you for reading this far.

Cheers and best,

Hedley
Sir Hedley...CF has a great search feature. You would be surprised at all the answers to your question in other existing threads. Feel free to derail them. No one really minds...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 00:15   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

In your price range and almost size range... I have spent a week sailing a Jeanneau 45.2. I found this to be an excellent boat.
Very well built. Engine access about average for the genre, tollerably good. Fine for maintenance but I would bot want to replace the crank in situ...
The layout is 10/10 in my opinion. Great storage with sail locker in the bow. Comfortable sea boat and easy to sail. Interior joinery of a higher standard than todays Jeanneaus and I am advised the hull is very strong.
If they still built them I would own one. Hope this helps!
Thames 4 Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:09   #13

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
The slightly older Jeaneaus were always a little better set up than the Beneteaus.
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:55   #14

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I own a Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3 form 2006. Excellent engine acess with hatches in the back also. Good sea boat, easy to handle, rides well even in heavy seas. Water tanks at 2 x 140 liters maybe on small size. Ours is the 2 cabin version, lots of storage space.

The sun fast is identical to the Sun Odyssey, but it has a longer (2.1 mters) keel with an extra 400 kgs. down there. Mast is extended 1.5 meters and the rig carries about 150 sq. ft. more sail. Boom is longer also. The Sun Odyssey will have a german mainsail sheeting system. The Sun Fast has the traveler across the cockpit. Dual helms. easy access to the bathing platform.

Electrics fairly simple, easy to access. No storage room under the floorboards. Chart table a bit small. Good galley, good stove.

In the 2 cabin version, lots of storage on the aft side where there is no cabin.

all in all, a good boat. But if you're looking for one ready to go bluewater for under usd 150, you might be pushed. Bluewater would assume, wind vane, water maker, big anchor, radar, spare sails etc etc etc. Unless the boat has been sailed blue water, you will need to figure about usd 40 for the complete refit (maybe more, depending on what you deem necessary)

good luck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:59   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

you might want to check out this site. It lists many Jeanneaus
Second hand sailing boat ads - EYB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, catalina, jeanneau