Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 08:16   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Neglected Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Boles View Post

zboss...you say most people are replacing that engine with a Beta marine 43. Ballpark, what I am looking at for purchase and installation? Also, you replaced almost everything I was thinking I had to do...probably yourself. I am no Mr fix it....How much to have it done?

Thanks so much

Tom
About 17k- 20k

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 08:31   #17

Boat: Valiant 40
Neglected Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
I really appreciate everyone's feedback here. I do have a question about the comments on teak "wet deck." Is this something I can see of feel? Or do I make the assumption that if it is teak, it is bad?

If I get past the deck hurdle:

zboss...you say most people are replacing that engine with a Beta marine 43. Ballpark, what I am looking at for purchase and installation? Also, you replaced almost everything I was thinking I had to do...probably yourself. I am no Mr fix it....How much to have it done?

Thanks so much

Tom

If the deck is missing bungs and or is worn and scalloped it’s done. But at 30 years old you’d be living on borrowed time anyway unless lightly used and well maintained. I’m assuming in ‘85 they were still screwing teak down but if no sign of bungs then it’s just glued and the urgency of dealing with it is gone. You could rip it off at your leisure and refinish underlying laminate and paint with nonskid.

I would add to Bleemus’ estimate; if you pull the engine there is other stuff it makes sense to do while it’s out like wiring, hoses, etc. depending on how everything looks.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:39   #18

One last point. It’s a universal truth that to bring an older neglected boat up to the condition of a well kept sistership costs more than buying the well kept sistership to begin with... unless you have the skills to do 90% of the work yourself. Even then it’s a close call in most cases. There are obviously exceptions, but they are in the minority.

If you’re not handy, take the money, bank it, and keep saving.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:49   #19

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

To answer your question would be a shot in the dark. Have you had the boat surveyed by a reputable surveyor, not the selling broker's, yet? The survey results will bring reality into the picture. Then you can make an informed decision about what you'd be getting into. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
One last point. It’s a universal truth that to bring an older neglected boat up to the condition of a well kept sistership costs more than buying the well kept sistership to begin with... unless you have the skills to do 90% of the work yourself. Even then it’s a close call in most cases. There are obviously exceptions, but they are in the minority.

If you’re not handy, take the money, bank it, and keep saving.
Yeah. Unfortunately I talk the talk but dont walk the walk! Seems often I end up with a project boat thinking I'm saving money! I think the key is to expect to find double the problems you think you know about a boat when you buy it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:20   #21

Boat: Hunter 380

Thank you everyone, for your valuable insight. It has done a lot to clear the mental fog I had gotten myself into, regarding what I "thought" I could make this boat become, at a cost added to the boat price, that was not completely outrageous. A good dose of reality is always a good thing. We are still going to go look at it, because I committed to the broker that I would, and it's only a couple of hours away. I am certainly more prepared to see it for what it actually is, rather than what I would like it to be. My wife and I love to sail...this would be sailboat #3.....and we will find that boat. Thanks again. Tom
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 09:52   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark, a 1973 Pearson 36-1 was surveyed and the surveyor recommended that I NOT buy her. Leaking chainplates, out-dated electronics, etc.

The deck was not water-logged and the PO had a new Yanmar installed with 100 hours on it.

I have spent 10 years and well north of 50K and have replaced everything except the engine.

What I got for all my trouble is a P36-1 that is better than new. What I spent would be about 1/3 of what a comparable boat in the same condition would cost, plus she is equipped and set up just the way I want.

She is the boat of my dreams and I hope to keep sailing her for the next few decades.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post

I have spent 10 years and well north of 50K and have replaced everything except the engine.

What I got for all my trouble is a P36-1 that is better than new. What I spent would be about 1/3 of what a comparable boat in the same condition would cost, plus she is equipped and set up just the way I want.

Better than new...except for the engine. And I’m sure that if there is a well cared for Pearson P36-1 out there she’ll sell for well under $50k.

While it’s true that you can spend considerably more than an old boat is worth and end up with a boat that would cost you way more to match in a new boat, Cabo Rico 38’s are not exactly rare. Why buy a beat up one and dump a bomb into it when you can buy a well cared for one for less? That’s the question. The OP is not interested in a project boat, he’s interested in a Cabo Rico 38.
Old 21-08-2018, 10:18   #24

Boat: Hunter 380

I am hoping the attached picture comes through. The deck is not teak, but the cockpits seats and floor is. I do see bungs, so I assume it is screwed in. Does this change anything in anyone's opinion?
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 10:20   #25

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Skylark, a 1973 Pearson 36-1 was surveyed and the surveyor recommended that I NOT buy her. Leaking chainplates, out-dated electronics, etc.

The deck was not water-logged and the PO had a new Yanmar installed with 100 hours on it.

She is the boat of my dreams and I hope to keep sailing her for the next few decades.

Dream on my friend. But in the real world there are no buyers for a 1973 Pearson 36-1 listing at $150,000. (3 times your 50K). Enjoy your boat, it might be priceless to you but the marketplace is a different matter altogether.
Old 21-08-2018, 10:27   #26

Quote:

I have done that too. And it is nice knowing every detail and what you have. But it's a $ loser every time too. And a big sailing and life time loss. But some of us enjoy all that work. To each his own! But, not for everyone and not for me any longer either!

Old 21-08-2018, 10:34   #27

Neglected Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
I am hoping the attached picture comes through. The deck is not teak, but the cockpits seats and floor is. I do see bungs, so I assume it is screwed in. Does this change anything in anyone's opinion?

No pictures. And yes, it changes that part of the opinion. The seats are likely not cored but the floor may be. If repair is required it’s obviously much less work than the whole deck. It also means the deck is likely ok, except for around chainplates, stanchions, and other deck penetrations. May be fine, May not be. Really need a moisture meter to tell if nothing is obviously soft.

Pictures probably won’t help us much (although interesting to see).

There is probably a Cabo Rico owners group out there on the net. Would probably be worth hunting it down and picking their brains.
Old 21-08-2018, 10:45   #28

Quote:
YES! Big change IMO. You just need to assess everything and add it up on a list with a grain of salt. There's nothing to say you cant leave marginally wet core in the cockpit really. Is it "proper"? Maybe not, but the reality is it will likely never effect you in any way. And it may not be wet at all.
There are bargain boats out there for people who can stay emotionally away and make good decisions. The thing is... every boat ends up needing work and time. Just dont take on too much.

Go to "Advanced", clik on "manage attachments". clik on "browse". Find the pic on your computer and download it. Clik on "upload" in the CF window.

If you cant do pics here, go to Imgur, download a pic, then clik and copy the address and just paste it in your message here.

Old 21-08-2018, 11:00   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Just wanted to say that spending the money and the time to bring back a classic plastic has its advantages. I got a boat with beautiful lines set up for just the kind of cruising that I do with my family. Also, undergoing an extensive refit allowed me to become very familiar with all her systems and their operation. Everything is just the way I want it. Buying a "better" condition or better maintained would still require updating and modifying.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 12:01   #30

Generally a good quality boat. Probably >20 years old. All boats are money pits - period. Having said that we all have one or two or three and don't mind lavishing our love and hard earned money on them. The only way to control costs is to do the work yourself. Even then the parts cost.

Get the boat inspected by certified surveyor and make sure she is up to NMMA standards. Price out the punch list and make a decision. Cabo Rico uses high quality parts that are oversized and over engineered for boats of similar size. That is a good thing. Also makes for expensive replacement. I would be reluctant to drop quality so plan to spend. Also Cabo Rico no longer exists so some parts will need to be custom machined. Thats pricey.

At this age you are really buying the hull. So the only deal breaker is damage to the hull. Make sure she is a dry boat and the Gel coat or awl grip are in good condition. Engine, chain plates, Standing rigging and running rigging, sails are all past life expectancy and I would consider replacing them if you can.

When you are done you will have a reliable beauty that you can feel secure in. Good luck.
Bobel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico